Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

are Ford pilot bearing all the same OD size ??

November 4 2011 at 11:44 AM
  (Login pooreric)
Members

between engine families .... looking too put a roller pilot bearing for my FE and was wondering if small block and big block FE are the same size OD pilot bushing/bearing ...

thanks , Eric

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login TorinoBP88)
Members

Re: are Ford pilot bearing all the same OD size ??

November 4 2011, 12:23 PM 

nope. never easy is it.

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

http://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/pilot_bushings.htm

1964 Galaxie Sedan, 289, 3spd (OD missing), Texas Sargent's Car
1967 390 GT engine w/416, BIBO Wide R TL
1967 428 'C' SCJ heads, Gal TL
1966 428 'A' -R heads-parts, Mustang TL

Oh and a Bicycle daily driver.

This message has been edited by TorinoBP88 on Nov 4, 2011 12:24 PM

Respond to this message   
e. philpott
(Login pooreric)
Members

Re: are Ford pilot bearing all the same OD size ??

November 4 2011, 12:59 PM 

do you know what roller pilot bearing I need for a FE ?? ... wanting to go roller instead of bushing

This message has been edited by pooreric on Nov 4, 2011 1:00 PM

Respond to this message   

(Login gaffney1951)
Members

Pilot bearing ...

November 4 2011, 1:05 PM 

You might want to reconsider the roller. There have been some issues with them with several people here including the one in my son's Galaxie. Mike

Respond to this message   
Dano
(Login drdano)
Members

X2

November 4 2011, 2:29 PM 

I tried the roller bearing route with my TKO600 swap and never felt super confident about it. Seemed various bearings were "sorta" close to workign right, others bottomed the input splines because they were just a wee bit too tall. Fast forward and I'm running the regular BH50 bronze unit with a arguably finicky TKO and it shifts like a dream. Given my own experience, I'd say spend more time or $$ on aligning the bellhousing as good as you can and use a regular pilot bushing.

Respond to this message   

XR7
(Login XR7)
Members

yes...

November 4 2011, 1:24 PM 

I know what bearing to use, no... all Ford's are not the same size. If you are using a cintered iron disc for drag racing....I think you are planning to Eric, then you do want a roller bearing. The bronze bushing will get eaten up by the clutch dust in no time. On a daily driver with a rag disc, then yes... use a bushing instead.

One thing worth noting is the bearing is not a tight fit in the crank, I have never had one come out but a few others have. I have had them come out when pulling the trans but not while running. I use green loctite now just in case.

The roller bearing to use is actually a metric bearing, the size is 41x17mm (I believe...) and the part number is 6303 they make all kinds of bearings this size and some are sealed and others are not, some use rubber seals and others are metal, some are sealed on one side others on both sides.....

The two boxes I have here that I have used are labeled as follows...

6303-2NSE that is a Nachi bearing

6303-VVC3E that is a NSK

They all use different codes for what material and seals etc. a common code would be 2rs for interchange.

I just went to a local bearing supply house, was around 8 bucks or so, they are available on EBAY as well....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6303-2RS-Sealed-Motor-Bearing-17x47x14-Deep-Groove-Ball-Bearings-/250908534920?hash=item3a6b506888&item=250908534920&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6303C3E-NSK-BEARING-6303C3E-/220873434441?hash=item336d152549&item=220873434441&pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6303-2RS-NBI-PREMIUM-RUBBER-SEALED-BEARING-17X47X14mm-/160556635639?hash=item2561ebd5f7&item=160556635639&pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&vxp=mtr

68 Cougar XR7 street and strip car, 428 4-speed, 3560# of fun, best 6.68@102.49 10.493@128.99 1.44 60 ft

This message has been edited by XR7 on Nov 4, 2011 1:40 PM

Respond to this message   
e. philpott
(Login pooreric)
Members

thanks Thor

November 4 2011, 2:05 PM 

should have just emailed you first ...lol... yes the sintered iron disc is what I'll be using , Tim Hyatt said to use the roller bearing but gave no reason to why ....

Respond to this message   

(Login pooreric)
Members

SWEET !! .... Napa has one in stock

November 4 2011, 2:20 PM 

with double seals ... lol , they could find it with the number , but not by application ...

thanks everybody that posted.... I think SSdynasor is right about alternator bearing too , must be why Napa had one cause it don't come up for pilot bearing on anything , but the number was dead on with NSG number

Respond to this message   

(Login RM428)
Members

FE Pilot bearings

November 4 2011, 5:03 PM 

When I first switched my 428 powered Fairmont over from a C6 to the Jerico/McLeod Soft lok setup, I initially used a stock type bronze pilot bushing. After that didn`t last very long, I talked to a few FE Stick Stocker racers, who turned me onto the "alternator" ball bearing, as well as a factory Ford roller bearing estup. I don`t have the Ford P/N handy, but I believe that it was for a Ranger application. This Ford bearing used the smaller OD roller bearing, like a 5.0 Mustang unit, but it was mounted inside of a metal bushing that has the same OD as a FE. The roller bearing would likely be a bit more tolerant of any minor mis-alignment issues, but I think the ball bearing is a better choice, assuming alignment is good. With the ball bearing, I put a light smear of white lithium grease on the input shaft tip, as it is now fitting into a hardened steel bearing race, rather than a lubed roller or bronze bushing. I also put a bit of Loctite on the OD of the ball bearing, as I have had an "alternator" bearing walk out of the crank, with expensive results.

428 powered Fairmont drag car, Best ET:10.03@132.11MPH, best 60 ft: 1.29
59 Meteor 2 dr. sedan 332, Ford O Matic
74 F350 ramp truck 390 4speed

Respond to this message   
SSdynosaur
(Login SSdynosaur)
Members

Pilot bearing

November 4 2011, 2:07 PM 

Curiously, it is the same bearing that GM has used in their alternators for years. As a caution, the only failures that I'm personally aware of occurred with bearings of suspect "Asian" origin. The NSK brand have been very reliable.

Respond to this message   

(Login TorinoBP88)
Members

Bushings work for 50 years, why change 'em. n/m

November 5 2011, 10:51 PM 

m

1964 Galaxie Sedan, 289, 3spd (OD missing), Texas Sargent's Car
1967 390 GT engine w/416 CID, BIBO Wide R TL
1967 428 'C' SCJ heads, Gal TL
1966 428 'A' Maybe a full sleeve project, not sure yet.

Oh and a Bicycle daily driver.

Respond to this message   
e. philpott
(Login pooreric)
Members

because its a "slipper" clutch

November 6 2011, 7:27 AM 

and the dust from it will eat the bushing quickly

Respond to this message   

(Login Posi-67)
Members

And that 's why the advice XR7 and Rory gave is

November 6 2011, 10:11 AM 

correct. Just don't be suprised when the bearing doesn't seatflush with the lip on the crank flange. It will sit proud a little and that's fine. Also use red or green locktite as they can come out.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - are Ford pilot bearing all the same OD size ??
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index