Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Top loader OD trans

August 23 2012 at 1:56 PM
  (Login Ohiocrewcab)
Members

Does anybody have one? It's on my local craigslist and was wondering if it's worth the money to have the OD or not? 3rd is 1:1 4th is.82:1

------------------------------------------------
48 Farmall "H"
64 Falcon engine still in the air
76 F250 Highboy 390 4-speed
Chevy daily driver

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login bukwheetracing)
Members

Light duty only

August 23 2012, 3:25 PM 

Fourth is ALWAYS 1 to 1... Third is the OD in this GEAR BOX

Respond to this message   
galaxiex
(Login galaxiex)
Members

Re: Light duty only

August 23 2012, 3:57 PM 

QUOTE (Fourth is ALWAYS 1 to 1... Third is the OD in this GEAR BOX)

Technically correct... however....

....in that gear box the lever for 3rd and 4th is reversed.. so "3rd gear position on the stick but 4th position in the box" is 1 to1...

...and the "4th position on the stick and 3rd gear position in the box is OD", Clear as mud? happy.gif

Respond to this message   

(Login x4rdtech)
Members

August 23 2012, 4:39 PM 

Correct and I believe they were in sbf cars so I wouldn't use it in a FE with any hope of racing it.

[linked image]

Respond to this message   

(Login Ohiocrewcab)
Members

The plan was for street use

August 23 2012, 5:08 PM 

On a daily driver. But doing some more research on it it doesn't look that great. I'll stick with the 3.25 gears in the rear and a normal top loader

48 Farmall "H"
Chevy daily driver

Respond to this message   
galaxiex
(Login galaxiex)
Members

August 23 2012, 5:10 PM 

Yes, only used behind small block engines, and the ratio spreads are not very good for performance.

Respond to this message   

(Login BenVZ)
Members

There is more than one OD Toploader

August 23 2012, 6:26 PM 

I have put 90K miles on a used one W/ .70 OD and 2.9 first behind a Slightly warmed over 390. It is alot driving our service truck so I'm used to short first gear. the drop on 2-3 is HUGE so not the best for real high performance. I pulled 99.98 mph in the 1/4 mile in a light 67' mustang coupe .It stood up to some very spirited driving for years. And bolted right up! Inspect very carfully measure at least twice . They can be fun. BenVZ

Respond to this message   

(Login StarlinerRon)
Members

The gear drop is because you have a

August 23 2012, 8:32 PM 

1-2-4-5 spread. 3rd has been used for 5th.
1st gear around 3.00 is ideal but, the tooth counts weakens the trans.
Ron.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(Login 357M)
Members

Re: Top loader OD trans

August 23 2012, 8:31 PM 

I have one in a 65 Mustang with a mild 289 and a 4.11 axle. I have to admit that I have been impressed with the driveability. It is really nice out of the hole and cruising at highway speeds is very comfortable. The main downside is that I don't know of a good shifter for these transmissions. Still, I beat on it pretty hard and it has held together just fine. Of course an FE with sticky tires in a heavy car may be a different story.

That said, I just scored a Ford Racing Superduty T-5 new in the crate on Craigslist so the toploader is coming out.

Respond to this message   
Pete's Ponies
(Login PetesPonies)
Members

if you are replacing a 3 speed . . .

August 23 2012, 9:06 PM 

it could be worth it. My F100 had a three speed and I put one in there and love having the OD, but its not a performance trans.

Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance

Respond to this message   

(Login Ohiocrewcab)
Members

Replacing a C4

August 24 2012, 2:06 PM 

I'm slowly buying parts for the Falcon and I'm wanting a stick. Found this one for $450 and found a freshly rebuilt top loader 3speed for $150

48 Farmall "H"
Chevy daily driver

Respond to this message   

(Login tomposthuma)
Members

Re: Replacing a C4

August 24 2012, 6:48 PM 

The Mustang 3 speed doesn't have too bad of gear ratios, the ones from other cars with a 2.99 first gear have big drops to second and third.

The overdrive Toploader from Granadas and vans stood up OK to my 351W in a 3400lb 65 Falcon convertible but the ratios were awful. I had 3.89 gears so the .8 overdrive was nice but the drop second to third was terrible.
Shifter was easy, just turn the 3-4 lever upside down on a normal Hurst, the Hurst bolts straight to the tranny with no adapter plate.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Top loader OD trans
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index