Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Rod bushing replacement

February 13 2013 at 3:17 AM

Wade White  (Login 65er)
Members

How do you guys re-bush a rod? I'd guess press out the old bushings and either press in or cold shrink the new bushings to drop in, then hone to size and finally trim flush with the rod. Mmm, have to drill the oil hole in there somewhere too, not sure if we'd want to do that before honing or not. Is that pretty much how it goes or are there other steps I'm missing here?

Also where do you get the bushings? Specifically bushings for a .927 final ID.

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login DYNO427)
Members

Here ya go Wade....

February 13 2013, 10:55 AM 

EBAY Item # 300852640029 Clevite # 223-3501 [8] Buy it now price $52.64 Is that a competitive price? I also think another way to install the bushings, is to heat the end of the rod near red hot, and press them in the rod. DYNO 427

This message has been edited by DYNO427 on Feb 13, 2013 11:00 AM
This message has been edited by DYNO427 on Feb 13, 2013 10:56 AM

Respond to this message   

(Login winr1)
Members

$3.18 each at Rock Auto..hone the small ends in pairs....CAT broachs their pin bushins

February 13 2013, 8:54 PM 

Ricky.

Respond to this message   

(Login fastback63)
Members

Word of Caution

February 14 2013, 7:59 AM 

Wade, the bushings press in rather easily, but to do it right you must use a bushing expander to fully seat the bushing once it is in the rod. The bushing expander is a special mandrel attachment for the Sunnen rod hod hone. What it does is basically smash the bushing into the grooves in the small end and keep it from coming out. You are taking a chance on the bushing working loose if you don't properly seat it first. Afterwords the bushing is honed to fit the pin. Just my two cents. Randy

Randy
63 1/2 fastback 428 auto
57 Ranchero Y-block AOD conversion
57T-Bird 312/ T-56 comming soon

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Rod bushing replacement
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index