Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

FE/MEL Interchange?

March 22 2013 at 12:51 PM
Dennis  (Login 65pony)
Members

How much is interchangeable between a 430 MEL and FE parts? I found 4 boat engines, 1960 and 1961, all 430 and all in good condition. 2 are as removed and 2 are still in a boat.

Owner swears the only difference between 430 and 427 was the 427 had dome pistons so that reduced the cubic inches. I could not convince him otherwise either.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Tony P.
(Login UTRY)
Members

Oil filter & Dist. cap n/m

March 22 2013, 1:15 PM 

Respond to this message   

(Login matska2)
Members

Well then,

March 22 2013, 1:20 PM 

dished pistons must increase cubic inches.....and all this time I thought you had to bore and stroke it!....Dennis, go back and bitchslap that man!

Respond to this message   

(Login matska2)
Members

Oh and tell

March 22 2013, 1:21 PM 

him to put them back in the boat and sink it....that's all they're worth.

Respond to this message   

(Login 73F-100)
Members

They have similarities with the chevy W engine (348-409)

March 22 2013, 1:28 PM 

I think some of the MEL valvtrain pieces might interchange with an FE, like the shaft pedestals, possibly more. I'd guess some of the bolts and stuff probably would as well.

Respond to this message   
bmax65
(Login bmax65)
Members

MEL....they're not that awful

March 22 2013, 2:45 PM 

Eric-

Yep, MEL isn't as 'cheap' to play with as an FE...but they are not necessarily 'boat anchors'.
First 400HP engine in 58 (Super Marauder)...and I believe one of the first, big, early dragster meets winners was MEL powered.
Sure, they don't have the FE's total competition history, and they are now obscure, can cost some bucks to play with, and heavier.

Love my FE's, but if I had extra money, would love to build a few MEL's, Lincolns or otherwise. Completely vintage hot rod built.

Just a .02 observation from a stubborn old goat wink.gif

Respond to this message   
JC DeSaveur
(Login 73F-100)
Members

Agreed, I think they're kinda neat and it'd be fun to mess with one. (n/m)

March 22 2013, 3:08 PM 

Respond to this message   

(Login matska2)
Members

I'm just funnin' guys...

March 22 2013, 5:29 PM 

I have a great respect for all things internal combustion....if al gore calls it the biggest threat to mankind, it can't be all that bad.

Respond to this message   

(Login Marx427)
Members

Old MELs could scream...

March 22 2013, 7:09 PM 

the problem is there weren't very many aftermarket parts made.....but all the right parts were made for a short time....Roots blower intakes, Hilbourn injectors 2x4 intakes and 3x2s and of course a couple log manifold kits to build 4x2 and 6x2s and Isky roller cams ....not to mention the factory 3x2 Super Marauder intake that came with the coolest fresh air box you'll ever see imo....

The bore and stroke was 4.30 x 3.70....so, darn close to the 427...the early heads had what for the time were huge intake ports...comparable to the 427 high riser although slightly narrower....intake valves were 2.14 and exhausts were 1.7 inches.
And, the large rod journals leave plenty of room for offset grinding...I remember reading about a 505 inch MEL stroker in a mustang II back in the late 70s.

So at least on paper the potential seems to be there. In case you didn't know, the MEL engine heads are flat....no combustion chambers in the head..just flat with two valves....the combustion camber is at the top of the cylinder with the shape determined by the top of the pistons.....

......Its like a 343/409 chevy (sorry)

So one thing to remember with a MEL build it's all about the pistons and it's hard to find new ones that will give you the correct chamber contours or find a custom piston dealer that knows how to do it...imo

Respond to this message   

Dr. Mabuse
(Login FE4RD)
Members

Chamber in the bore - also the 401, 477, & 534 Super Duty ... n/m

March 23 2013, 6:03 PM 

[linked image]

Respond to this message   

(Login 58SuperMarauder)
Members

Interchange

March 22 2013, 3:53 PM 

Add lifters and oil pump to that list.. Rocker shaft is same dia rockers same ratio but slightly different

I have 4 of them, 2 in vehicles. 1 on a stand and one under construction.. The one being built is 515 cu.

Heads flow about like a low rise 427.. bearings are huge crank is heavy. bore spacing same as 385 series.

You gotta want to swim upstream to make them go.

Respond to this message   

(Login AARON61)
Members

I think there cool,speed equip is pricy,

March 22 2013, 4:06 PM 

Don't know much about interchangeability but ther kinda cool.id like to have one to go along with the 2dozen othe motors loaded with vintage speed equip to line the shop.so drop them boat anchors off in Ohio.

32 FORD P.U.(YBLOCK POWERED W MARINE INTAKE)ALL FORD!!
61 GALAXIE(390 TRIPOWER 4 speed)
61 GALAXIE(292)
93 LIGHTNING
67 f100 4x4 390
67 chevelle ss 396-4speed
68 c10 short B
72 c10 lwb(parts hauler)

Respond to this message   

(Login 65pony)
Members

MEL Engines

March 22 2013, 5:39 PM 

Shoot me an e-mail. What part of Ohio are you in. You might be close to the engines. I can get you in touch with him if interested in following up.

Respond to this message   
PATRICK W GEORGE
(Login fordfenut)
Members

Boat anchor

March 22 2013, 4:14 PM 

1960 and older auto engines have an FE bell housing pattern later ones are Lincoln only. Great engines I have many and love them.

Respond to this message   

(Login fordfenut)
Members

almost forgot

March 22 2013, 4:16 PM 

one will be reverse rotation in the pair

Respond to this message   

(Login tomposthuma)
Members

March 22 2013, 9:08 PM 

I was thinking of a stroked 430 for my ramp truck. They are kind of cool engines.
Singer and Miller won the 1959 Nationals in an MEL dragster with a Potvin blower drive.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tom-margie/1483203059/

By the way that trophy queen is Dale Ham's (Division 4 director) wife Glynanna.

Respond to this message   

(Login fordfenut)
Members

stroker 430

March 23 2013, 2:42 AM 

just take a later 462 crank and rods and pistons and your done

Respond to this message   
Eric
(Login matska2)
Members

Cool pics Tom,

March 23 2013, 5:35 PM 

They brought back memories. I used to get any and all books from the school liberary that had something to do with cars when I was a kid. I don't know what book it was but that rail was in it. I remember thinking that was a weird way to mount a blower. Unless that was popular in the 50s & 60s, that was the car.

Respond to this message   

(Login 57yblock)
Members

I put the 383 version

March 22 2013, 8:40 PM 

of the mel engine in my 57 ford way back when. It was rated at 312 hp and had almost 100cubic inches more than the 292 I took out. And I have to say it was a mistake as it ran good and had quite a lot of torque but for some reason it just wasn't fast. I should have known not to mess with one of these before i did it as a friend of mine put a 430 in his 57 and I raced him one night with my 292 powered 57 before I swapped engines and I beat him. But I was going to be smart and when my 292 got tired I bought one from our local wrecking yard and put it in. Wrong engine I should have messed with the 292 or found a 312 as at that time the FE's were hard to come by. I still don't understand why they were not that fast but I think a cam might have helped and maybe a different intake but none were available then.

Respond to this message   

(Login 57F600-390)
Members

MEL's

March 23 2013, 4:28 AM 

Back in the old days we used to buy up the 430's and put them in pickups and some heavier trucks. Makes a great torque engine . In a pickup makes a great tow engine and in a F600 make a great high torque powerplant. I had one in a 57 F600 wrecker, what a difference between a 272Y and a 430MEL , now has a 390 for power.

Have A Great Day ---- John Ferguson

Respond to this message   
bmax65
(Login bmax65)
Members

MEL stuff

March 23 2013, 3:48 PM 

Eric- it's cool, kind of figured you were joking. Yeah, for the price of one roll of duct tape, "global warming/climate change"
could be stopped- just wrap the entire roll around gore's mouth. Problem solved.

Tom P- thanks for that pic! Only seen 2 other pic's of MEL dragsters, Ted Cyr's and a comp coupe looking thing called the Gizzle Hopper on the HAMB.

I've read the 'thing' about MEL's is that the cam was conservative, due to the target market vehicles, Lincolns and Mercs- those folks don't like rumbly, aggressive feeling vehicles, they wanted smooth and torquey. Have also read that the 430's could get surprising mpg (freeway) in the Mercs. Guess they are like the FE's- original target market was for smooth cruisers. Give them some cam, some compression, and free up the breathing, and it's transformed. Some guy on the HAMB told a tale, think early 60's, of boring/stroking a MEL to like 525 cubes, rowdy cam, multiple carbs, in an F100- surprised the heck out of folks. Another guy spoke of similar I think in a 56 Ford. Nobody believed them that a 'Lincoln' engine could whoop on them.

Old timers say it's all about the combination. Sounds like fun- looks stock, but runs hard.

Respond to this message   

(Login tomposthuma)
Members

MEL dragsters

March 23 2013, 10:50 PM 

There were a few others like Earl Canavan's "President Lincoln"
Can't find a picture of it online but in searching ...
I've never heard of his company... interesting products!
http://my.sema.org/organizations/profile/view/id/19180

He also ran in Nascar for 20 years and even ran the Indy 500 in the late 70's.

Ted Cyr's "The Lincoln" [linked image]

Perrenot Bros... this is that Gizzlehopper Coupe sans body.
[linked image]

And Marvin Schwartz ran one too along with several in bodied cars like gassers.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - FE/MEL Interchange?
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index