Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

High Risers in NASCAR

March 31 2013 at 11:49 AM
C5HM  (Login C5HM)
Members

From time to time the question of High Riser NASCAR use in 1964 has come up on the forum. I always get the feeling that some doubt that single four v inducted HRs actually served in Grand National. Here's an interesting Getty images shot from 1964 that eliminates all doubt. Check out the HR intake that a painfully young Waddell Wilson is examining (left bottom). That's an HR on the engine hoist (being examined by ace H&M mechanic Jack Sullivan and Fireball Roberts). The car in the foreground is Fireball's # 22 H&M Galaxie. The car in the background is my #06 H&M Galaxie, btw. Neat shot.

[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

This message has been edited by C5HM on Mar 31, 2013 11:52 AM
This message has been edited by C5HM on Mar 31, 2013 11:51 AM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
pmw
(Login PmW-SOHC)
Members

that's cool

March 31 2013, 12:16 PM 

Love the old "wrenchin" shots .

Respond to this message   

(Login tomposthuma)
Members

What about 65?

March 31 2013, 4:11 PM 

So they started using them in the 1963 season. Used them in 64 and still used them in part of 65?

Is the Medium Riser perhaps a response to the High Riser being outlawed in Nascar more than any other reason?

Respond to this message   
C5HM
(Login C5HM)
Members

NO HRs in 1965

March 31 2013, 5:27 PM 

The 1965 NASCAR Grand National rules book specifically outlawed the 427 High Riser heads set up (so, too, the 426 Hemi). Ford saw the need to fully homologate the Medium Riser engine in street going cars (as Mopar eventually did in 1966 with the 426) and H&M teams showed up at Riverside in January of 1965 with (literally) a truck load of new MR/SO engines.

Respond to this message   

(Login werbyford)
Members

Love those old shots!!! HR still used in 65?

March 31 2013, 4:41 PM 

Wow, about that year I was going to the local track at Flat Rock with my dad, watching flatheads race and play figure 8. We had a new FE back then, 390pi Merc, but I only worked on the Model A so far.

I'm thinking the HiRiser wouldnt fit under the hood of the 65s so they went right to the medium riser?

Respond to this message   
C5HM
(Login C5HM)
Members

I'm thinking that a HR...

March 31 2013, 5:33 PM 

...would have fit in a '65 ...if they had been allowed to run. That's because the early H&M Bat Wings air cleaners had a one inch lip around the carb opening that set the cleaner up that amount. Removing that ring (as Fomoco teams did when running 427 TPs in half chassis Fairlanes) probably would have set the A/C down low enough to work. At least with a 1 4V set up. But that's just a guess. I know it was a tight fit with a MR and a Bat Wing (with the ring) in my old Lorenzen Galaxie.

Respond to this message   

(Login pcode390)
Members

Is This The Car You Sold John?

March 31 2013, 6:03 PM 

One of my favorites. I enjoyed seeing it and meeting you in 04 at Galaxie Nationals/Turkey Rod Run at Daytona. ww

[linked image] [linked image] [linked image]
[linked image]

1965 Galaxie 500XL 445ci Stroker C-6
1965 Galaxie 500XL 390ci P-Code, 4-Speed
2001 Ford F-150 SuperCrew 5.4L
2006 John Deer X320 Garden Tractor

Respond to this message   
C5HM
(Login C5HM)
Members

Yup,

March 31 2013, 6:09 PM 

That's the old girl. Miss her sometimes. Lucky to still have two H&M cars to play with. The '64 is on the home stretch! I enjoyed meeting you. Liked your '65 a lot.

Respond to this message   

doug smith
(Login cjshaker)
Members

In the spirit of gaining knowledge....

March 31 2013, 7:28 PM 

If you send me a set of highriser heads, intake and batwing, I will reluctantly sacrifice my '65 to see if it will fit under the hood happy.gif

Doug
----------------------
[linked image]
69 Mach 1 R-code - 427MR 4-spd
68 F-250 4wd - 390HP 4-spd
58 2dr Del Rio Wagon - 390 4-spd
63 Mercury Comet 4dr 170ci 3-spd. (24mpg)
65 Galaxie 500 2dr hrdtp - 390 (automatic sad.gif )
53 F-1 239ci flathead 3-spd
09 Mustang GT 4.6 5-spd

Respond to this message   
Bill Ballinger
(Login 65Galaxie394)

The story on mine is that 1" spacer, the 3310 and a Holley Street Dominator

April 1 2013, 5:33 AM 

is just too tall. Can anyone compare the combined height of a proper single 4 HR, and the carb they used? I hate losing my 1" spacer, but it seems like is the only way a 14X3 will fit, even my drop base universal wouldn't fit. A factory generic drop housing off of a 360 would close but you could not put a piece of 1/4 wood across the air cleaner.

I would like to do this with a flat hood,

Respond to this message   

Dr Mabuse
(Login FE4RD)
Members

About the two different '65-66 hoods

March 31 2013, 6:42 PM 

I have the hood from my '66 Galaxie 500 XL. The underside bracing on earlier hoods was in the way of a teardrop installation.

My hood's bracing wasn't in the way, and I used a 3' tall teardrop I bonded to it. It even has the properly located holes in the bracing for the hood pins I installed in the radiator support. When I get it out of storage, I will post pictures.

I suspect Ford may have changed the bracing on late production '66 hoods?

[linked image]

Respond to this message   

Steve Corbin
(Login corbins)
Members

Pics please

April 1 2013, 5:29 AM 

john , please post some pics of the 64...love that color you painted it. any new progress?

Respond to this message   
C5HM
(Login C5HM)
Members

Thanks for the props!

April 1 2013, 5:41 AM 

Still trying to get from this...

to this:

The painter buffed through a body line (lots of those on a '64), so were are in the process of repainting the door and mathing the rest of the candy tangerine....what fun! Almost there.

Respond to this message   

(Login 65Galaxie394)

Hey are you IndyBigJohn on the HAMB? If so we have met

April 1 2013, 5:45 AM 

You are one heck of a historian. I was a teenager in Springfield MO at the Fairgrounds Speedway. If it was you, you flagged a lot of races. I worked as sweep up kid who got to learn something once in a while at Larry Phillips shop, and cut my teeth machining and building engines at Gary Lee's place in Bolivar for Ken Essary, Dean Roper, and a few others. Eventually Larry let me build a few at his place, but Mark Martin moved in and Larry kind of had to let me go.

If you are him, I won a Hobby race in a '65 Chevelle 300, and you were flagging it. We ran on the little dirt track in the middle.I don't know if its you or not, but it was a proud moment.

Its a shame it got shut down for noise.

Respond to this message   
C5HM
(Login C5HM)
Members

Not me...

April 1 2013, 7:57 AM 

..But I am sure IndyBigJohn is a fine figure of a man too...HA!

Respond to this message   

(Login 65Galaxie394)

Nice pics, it gave my son some inspiration.

April 2 2013, 6:28 AM 

He has some good ideas now that may work. Thanks!

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - High Risers in NASCAR
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index