Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Ethanol

April 30 2013 at 4:43 AM
LR  (Login Staceyanddee)
Members

I've been smelling fuel when I open the garage recently. It was coming from my wife's Dune Buggy. I built this in 2011. I used a short 2" piece of fuel hose between the tank and the fill cap. Come to find out; the ethanol is disolving the rubber. This is gates fuel fill hose. You know, the stuff they sell you by the inch. So, I guess it's te $4.30 90 octane or nothing. If you're using this hose in your classic's beware.

LR

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Bill Ballinger
(Login 65Galaxie394)

I am making PTFE innerlined braided stainless for my whole system

April 30 2013, 5:20 AM 

from fuel cell to carb. PTFE is resistant to Etoh. Gaskets don't like it though either. That 4010 Holley and EPS 800 AFB looks better all the time for most folks. I wish they could make 4150s and 4160s without at least the throttle plate gasket and accelerator pumps. Or go to PTFE gaskets. Fuel injection hose is even degrading unless it like Fords with the PTFE innerliner, or hard anodized stainless.

I think its a crime that this is foisted on us. I have a Snapper commercial 3311X5S rear-engine mower that was the industry standard for up to 3 acres, I have used them since the late '70's, mine is a 1990. That the gas tank just started leaking for no reason. I have had it awhile and it has never had fuel problems, but last year, I had to get a very thin strand of copper wire and have Billy unplug all of the holes in pilot jet to get it to run right on the governor, it had dissolved rubber in it, and had even eaten the bowl and needle and seat O-ring. Now this year it is the tank. I wold not be surprised if we don't have to kit it again. I run mine fat on 87, and just drop a dollop of ATF in it every third tank. As little idling as possible.

Ridiculous. It killed a Homelite ST-155 trimmer i have had since '83. It was a two stroke, but it just siezed it, even at 16:1.

This message has been edited by 65Galaxie394 on Apr 30, 2013 5:32 AM

Respond to this message   

Jeff
(Login jholmes217)
Members

additive?

April 30 2013, 7:46 AM 

Does anyone know of an additive that will negate the harmful effects of ethanol that really works? I've seen some in the stores, but don't know if they are really effective.

Respond to this message   
HOTROD
(Login hotrodfeguy2)
Members

Re: additive?

April 30 2013, 9:50 AM 

oil

Respond to this message   
Brian
(Login Noble1Tech)
Members

I'm not having trouble

April 30 2013, 10:40 AM 

But I think Bill has a good idea for fuel lines with the lined tubing. As far as ethanol gas goes, my old tractors are not having any fuel system problems. The last time I was in any of their carbs was 15 years ago. I do put Stabil in the gas tractors since they only get a few hours a year, the D17 is a diesel that gets run the most...
As far as a Holley is concerned, could they be gone through with gaskets intended for alcohol?

Respond to this message   
Bill Ballinger
(Login 65Galaxie394)

On the Holley gaskets I think methanol gaskets would work, but

April 30 2013, 12:04 PM 

On internal passeges, they may be different. They really need to be exactly like the good Holley gaskets, but resistant to alcohol.

Respond to this message   
D hearne
(Login baddad457)
Members

We only have E10-15 around here, I try to alternate between conventional and

April 30 2013, 4:47 PM 

the ethanol mix, so far so good with the triple twos on my Comet. No leaks, no errors with conventional 91 and Chevron 93 in a 50/50 mix. Been doing it this way for at least 5 years now. And it sits for a month sometimes between fireups.

Respond to this message   
garry
(Login GJCAT427)
Members

Actually I found the fuel injection hose,,,,,

May 1 2013, 3:21 AM 

to be better than the plain ole gas hose. The gas hose softens and disintergrates in a year or less with the gas we have here. As far as a additive I had good results with a product called Stargon(sp). Put some in my Harley last Oct when I put it up and started it up Sat with no problems.

Respond to this message   
Bill Ballinger
(Login 65Galaxie394)

Yep, it disintegrates. FI line is better, but E85 will even eat at it

May 2 2013, 1:26 AM 

I am thinking about raising my compression to run E85 as it becomes available in my area. But even E15 will start to work on it over time. If you smell gas in the garage, thats likely the place to look.

I am going with the PTFE inner lined stainless braided because I have to build lines anyway, and its not that expensive if you are going AN-08, about 7/16" close to 1/2" from the sump of the fiel cell to the carb. It stays cool pushing it with an electric fuel pump which is rated for E85 also.

Respond to this message   
Bill Ballinger
(Login 65Galaxie394)

How would I ground PTFE stainlees braid? As I understand fuel will generate static

May 3 2013, 1:44 AM 

as it flows through the line. I will be using "pex" like AN fittings.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index