will these fit my 66 galaxie? thanks in advance Matt

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login werbyford)
Members

My 70 Torino had 65 Gal spindles on it

June 10 2013, 5:06 PM 

So since those interchange, maybe.
But the 72 Torino is a new animal, body on frame, not sure what else changed.

Respond to this message   

(Login bukwheetracing)
Members

have several customers that use 72/76 B body spindles with good results....nm

June 10 2013, 5:15 PM 

Respond to this message   
matt waters
(Login rasma)
Members

spindles and what else do I need?

June 10 2013, 5:44 PM 

Picked up the spindles assuming they will fit. Rotors, calipers, proportioning valve, and dual master cylinder. Will that dual master work with my existing booster?

Respond to this message   

(Login bukwheetracing)
Members

havent done the swap myself...will check it out.......nm

June 10 2013, 5:57 PM 

Respond to this message   

Jason Engle
(Login jakengle)
Members

Been there, still doing that swap....

June 10 2013, 6:19 PM 

I did this swap with spindles from a '78 tbird, which shares the platform with the Torino.

I used everything from the spindles out and I used the '78 tbird master cylinder on the '65 galaxie booster. I used the '78 tbird proportioning valve.

A few issues. You will have to move the hard line frame mount where the hose connects from behind the front wheel to the front. Next you need tie rod ends from a '70 full size which will thread into the '65 tie rods and has the right stud length for the torino spindle mount.

With the '78 spindles I had to move the upper control arms almost all the way inward on their adjustment slots to get the camber back to normal, which limits my range of caster. With this setup I don't get as much caster dialed in as I would like and the car wanders a bit. Your '72 spindles may have different angles, etc.

I also was never able to get the brakes to grab normally on the front. I have tried various dual master cylinders on the original '65 booster and was never able to get it to act normal. I then changed to a manual dual master and couldn't get the stopping power there that I needed. I replaced the used prop valve with onother used one and it didn't help. I still suspect that both might have been frozen up on the inside so that the piston can't move.

Overall, I think this swap has promise, but it comes with some issues. I think that I am going to switch back to the drum spindles to get the alignment back and then use ebay brackets to put discs on them. Next step for the booster master will be a new, matched setup and a new prop valve.

Sorry to be negative, and you may not run into all of these, but be forewarned--it might give some significant challenges.

[img][linked image][/img]

Respond to this message   

(Login Galaxie)
Members

I'm using a universal adjustable prop valve on my set up.....

June 12 2013, 5:00 PM 

.......I used 75 Ranchero spindles, brakes, and upper and lower control arms.

Ed Jenkins

Ford Galaxie Club of America member #3350
1966 Galaxie 500 Convertible built in Chicago Illinois, will have a 400 horse 390, trick C6, Crites Aluminum radiator and a rust free frame from the south. Work continues.

Respond to this message   

(Login cliffrod)
Members

If you change your mind and want original version

June 11 2013, 5:55 AM 

pretty certain I still have a spare set of all major parts for 65-67, power dual m/c with bracket to complete spindles here. you'll have to get the right wheels. Heavy to ship so depends where you are. I'm driving from SC to Philadelphia and back later this week/weekend and again in early Aug, so could possibly drop off.

Email or call (864) 814-6418

Respond to this message   

(Login mtburger)
Members

Torino Disk Brake Swap To Galaxie

June 11 2013, 7:40 AM 

Hello Guys.

I have some additional information on this swap that I thought I would add.

1) 72-73 Torino spindles use a smaller wheel bearing set than the 74 up spindles use.

2) 72-79 Intermediate platform cars (Torino, Montego, Ranchero, LTDII, & others) use a 10" rotor with a 5 on 4 1/2 bolt pattern. I believe there is one exception, being that some of the later Torino Police cars used the large Ford bolt pattern with the small rotor.

3) Swapping the caliper bracket to a full size, or 72-76 Thunderbird / continental bracket will allow you to use the 11" rotors & calipers for an additional one inch worth of rotor circumference.

4) If you use the 72-73 Torino small bearing spindle, the 72 Thunderbird rotor (only factory application that has the large diameter rotor and the 5 on 4 1/2 bolt pattern) with the Full size caliper bracket and calipers you get the best of everything that will bolt together for a small bolt pattern wheel with large brakes.

The attached picture is my Torino snout with a slotted 72 T-bird 11" 5 on 4 1/2 rotor, 75 LTD caliper brackets and 73 Torino spindles.

Obviously, there are several combinations of these parts that will give you either bolt pattern, with the big, or small rotor to suit your needs, depending on what your wheels are.

Thanks, Mike H.

[linked image]

Respond to this message   

(Login lhstanford)
Members

Dang! What are you building Michael? Nice work

June 11 2013, 12:47 PM 

Respond to this message   

(Login mtburger)
Members

Re: Dang! What are you building Michael? Nice work

June 11 2013, 6:21 PM 

Sorry for the hi-jack.

The car is a 1973 Montego GT, full blown Wood Brothers Grand National clone street car. Truck arms, jacking bolts on all 4 corners, Bud Moore maxi box topped big Cleveland...

All the chassis mods would be the same on any of the 65 up Galaxie cars I believe. Basically a Banjo Matthews rear steer Grand National chassis.

[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

Respond to this message   

(Login hawkrod)
Members

Just a minor point....

June 12 2013, 5:56 AM 

In reference to the bolt pattern being different, it is not a police thing, all cars built with rear disc brakes have the 5 on 5 bolt pattern from the Lincolns. Hawkrod

Hawkrod

39 Ford Deluxe Coupe
59 Tbird 430
60 Lincoln Premier
(2)62 Tbirds
(3)68 Cougar XR7-G's
69 Cougar 428CJ 4 speed
77 1/2 Ford F250 4X4 w/460 swap
86 SVO mustang
76 F250 Crew Cab
1969 Mach I
look at my cars past and present at superford!

Respond to this message   

(Login baddad457)
Members

Except for the Lincoln Versailles, those have the 5 x 4.5 rotors

June 12 2013, 11:30 AM 

also found on some 76-1980 Granadas and Monarchs

Respond to this message   

(Login hawkrod)
Members

Yes, but we are not referencing them....

June 12 2013, 3:55 PM 

The conversation is about the big cars not the small ones. If a Torino, Tbird or other big car had rear disc brakes it had a different wheel bolt pattern and that is all we are discussion so there was no reason to mention other size cars and what they had. The reality is a Capri had 4 X 108 bolt pattern on rear disc brake cars but we were not talking about those either. Context is important. Hawkrod

Hawkrod

39 Ford Deluxe Coupe
59 Tbird 430
60 Lincoln Premier
(2)62 Tbirds
(3)68 Cougar XR7-G's
69 Cougar 428CJ 4 speed
86 SVO mustang
76 F250 Crew Cab
1969 Mach I

Respond to this message   
D hearne
(Login baddad457)
Members

You were referencing them when you made that "all Lincolns" remark............

June 13 2013, 10:34 AM 

That could be misconstrued by some that are not familiar with what you are talking about. You are always a stickler for details, so this shoud be no different.

Respond to this message   

(Login hawkrod)
Members

No I wasn't....

June 13 2013, 4:07 PM 

As I noted, context is critical, I was specifically responding to the post that said "2) 72-79 Intermediate platform cars (Torino, Montego, Ranchero, LTDII, & others) use a 10" rotor with a 5 on 4 1/2 bolt pattern. I believe there is one exception, being that some of the later Torino Police cars used the large Ford bolt pattern with the small rotor." to which I replied "In reference to the bolt pattern being different, it is not a police thing, all cars built with rear disc brakes have the 5 on 5 bolt pattern from the Lincolns.". I never said anything about all Lincolns having a 5 on 5 bolt pattern, only that the cars listed with rear disc brakes used the Lincoln 5 on 5 bolt pattern. I was completely accurate and only a fool would see it otherwise. Um, Oh, sorry, I get it now.... Hawkrod

Hawkrod

39 Ford Deluxe Coupe
59 Tbird 430
60 Lincoln Premier
(2)62 Tbirds
(3)68 Cougar XR7-G's
69 Cougar 428CJ 4 speed
86 SVO mustang
76 F250 Crew Cab
1969 Mach I

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - 72 torino front spindles on 66 galaxie
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index