Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Hone balancer to make larger

April 15 2017 at 10:55 AM
Jon  (Login saltshakerxxl)
Members

Been dealing with my crank that has a undersized nose, I have a custom underdized bal from Innovative West to fit the crank. I gave him the measurment of 1.372 and the bal wont go on the last 5/17" to the spacer. The bal is coming in at 1.366 and needs to be homed. Can it be done with the keyway?
Jon

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Leland
(Login lhstanford)
Members

JMO but, may be simpler to cut 5/17" off bal. snout.

April 15 2017, 11:21 AM 

But may require re balance. At least that way it would still fit snug up to the spacer. Luckily you found an undersized balancer.

Respond to this message   

Button
(Login cliffrod)
Members

?? Not sure that's the right approach...

April 15 2017, 2:32 PM 

Before you start a cuttin' on the end of the crank, better make sure where the both the interference is. If there was no taper on either part, they would move consistently when fitted together. Like the old saying goes, Measure (at least) Twice. Cut once. I think more needs to be understood first and what doesn't fit and why. So I would be reluctant to cut before I was certain. Even thou it has nothing to do with engines and such, that's pretty much the entire basis of my career & income..

Another related question for the smarter folks here. If you trimmed the end off a crankshaft as suggested, would,it require a rebalance or not? With the weight being part of the center of the rotating mass that is within the bearing surfaces, instead of being located outside of the bearing surfaces away from the centerline, how would a nominal change in the mass change things especially if the amount of change in mass was equal around the entire circumference of the central mass.

I understand lightening or increasing a rotating mass to change inertia qualities to impact acceleration or torque characteristics, but would.like to stretch my mind a little more as needed. TIA.
1967 Galaxie 500 Red original Q code 428
1967 Galaxie 500 White with Black stripes 428PI clone- car is dead & long gone, sold near Oak Ridge TN 2000, would love to find it.....
Please visit http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/ for pictures, information and video links to my work.

Respond to this message   

Barry_R
(Login Barry_R)
Members

Before you go honing and whacking

April 15 2017, 4:03 PM 

please remember that the installed balancer will not be flush to the end on the crankshaft. The crank will be recessed a small amount from the face of the damper. Having not done an Innovators West part I would do what was suggested by the other guys - measure first - but also look at the front to back dimensional stack up of the damper and spacer relative to the crank snout.
Barry Rabotnick
Survivalmotorsports.com

Respond to this message   

Kevin Rolph
(Login thatdarncat)
Members

Re: Before you go honing and whacking

April 15 2017, 5:08 PM 

Innovators West balancers require shortening the stock Ford spacer, you maybe already knew that, but just throwing it out there. Dimension to use is on the website and in the supplied instructions.

Respond to this message   
Jon
(Login saltshakerxxl)
Members

Suggestions

April 15 2017, 6:26 PM 

Been working close with Innavator West and the spacer has been cut down .... I have put it on twice, once with the key xnd 2 more times without. Each time it bottoms out 5/16 from the spacer. Going to a machine shop on Monday, 'the front of the crank measures 1.372 and the front of the spacer measures 1.366...something is wrong and thr front of the bal I think needs to be opened.
Jon

Respond to this message   

Dry ice and boiling water?
(Login 1320lane)
Members

Re: Suggestions

April 15 2017, 8:45 PM 

Make something to hold dry ice on the snout and put the balancer in boiling water. Or use foil to make a trough at the snout and pour liquid nitrogen in it.

Respond to this message   

Leny Mason
(Login LENYM)
Members

Picture of instructions

April 16 2017, 5:53 AM 

Can you post a picture of the instructions so we are all on the same page, then measure the crank all the way down the snout then on the balancer, are you pressing it on or just pushing it on, if you put a skim or paint on the snout it may show were it is getting tight. Leny Mason

Respond to this message   
Jon
(Login saltshakerxxl)
Members

Instructions

April 16 2017, 7:20 AM 

It said to cut down the crank spacer to 2.900 inchs ... press on fit. With the bal on with and without the key it stops 5/16 from the spacer. The crank mic's 1.3720 and the front of the bal mics 1.366.
Jon

Respond to this message   
Leland
(Login lhstanford)
Members

Jon, are you saying the aftermarket balancer has a tapered bore?

April 16 2017, 9:00 AM 

Smaller diameter at the front ? In my earlier post I thought you were saying smaller diameter at the rear where it butts up to the spacer. If it does have a tapered bore, then just have a machine shop machine the taper to an even bore size. again jmo

Respond to this message   
Jon
(Login saltshakerxxl)
Members

Bore

April 16 2017, 9:07 AM 

Thats what I was thinking! Taking engine and balancer to machine shop tomorrow. Let you know how it goes
Jon

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index