Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

wheels

April 16 2017 at 10:00 AM
Phil  (Login philford)
Members

would changing rear wheels to a wheel with more backspacing moving the tire closer to the body improve 60' times? I can only gain 1" to 1&1/2". I thought bringing the tire closer to the weight mite possibly help.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Tom P
(Login tomposthuma)
Members

ET gain

April 16 2017, 12:19 PM 

Probably by .00001 or less unless you have an independent rear suspension that is toeing in a bunch.

I asked a stupid question to a ProStock crew chief a few years ago about tires. I said that it looks like a ProMod car running in 10.5" tire class with the wheels so far inboard. He said there is a reason. In wind tunnel tests the tires stir up a lot of turbulence the closer they get to the outer wheel openings. Inboard is worth MPH and ET. Probably nothing in 60 feet though the narrower track width may help the car launch straighter.

Respond to this message   

john vermeersch
(Select Login johnvermeersch501)
Members

When I was a wee ladd, cleaning lug nuts on

April 16 2017, 3:49 PM 

Wayne Gapps cars, that question came up.....shorter axles,less power used in twist,shorter path to ground, all the cars they had from Wolverine Chassis (Tom Smith) and Don Hardy were like that

Respond to this message   

Stacey
(Login Staceyanddee)
Members

Sorta related

April 16 2017, 4:42 PM 

Back in the 80's I bracket raced my 62 Comet with a 289. 8.09 was my best in the 1/8. At the time there was an old Ford racer there. He told me that when he went to aluminum wheels he gained a tenth. I never tried it. I ran old steel 14" wheel's. The rear's were from a 62 Ranch Wagon that I demo derby'd. They had enough back spacing for me to run a 26-9-14 slick. Are your running steel wheels?

Respond to this message   
Bill Howell
(Login howellprinting)
Members

tire clearance

April 16 2017, 6:02 PM 

The NHRA PS tire clearance rule is a max. of 4" from the fender in the front and 5" in the back. I guess this is to get the rear end from getting too crazy narrow.

Respond to this message   

BattlestarGalactic
(Login BattlestarGalactic)
Members

My typical comment for this kind of thing...

April 16 2017, 6:45 PM 

Warren Johnson might see a difference, you likely not so much. Unless you have your car tuned to the endth degree, you likely will see more difference through the day on traction then what you might see by moving the tires in by 1".

LarryK
photo DSC_3583_cr_zps809283d9.jpg
2006/2009 UMTR Points Champion

Respond to this message   

Falcon67
(Login Falcon67)
Members

I'll bite - no

April 17 2017, 9:27 AM 

Reducing the rotating weight of the wheels - lighter rims, slicks, etc - will allow more power to be applied and could reduce the 60'. Time spent tuning shocks, chassis response, tire pressure, staging RPM, engine tune can all impact 60' times. As for moving the tires an inch in or out, I'll say no to infinitesimal. Meaning you wouldn't see a change that might not be just starting line prep, track temp, street car with hard compound street tires ran before you, air changes, etc.

This message has been edited by Falcon67 on Apr 17, 2017 9:29 AM

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index