Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

OT, but do any of you guys believe, or have owned a "cursed" car? Let me explain..........

April 16 2017 at 10:10 PM

Mike U.  (Login mtrain)
Members

To put this better, I don't mean some gypsy came up, and wiggled their fingers at said vehicle, and cursed it, but rather a vehicle that would never run right no matter what you did to it, or maybe always getting dings, scratches etc.

I've owned such cars, and tried to my last to get them to be dependable, but finally gave up, and ended up selling them in the end.

I'm not talking about just mechanical stuff either, but strange crap that happened too much to be coincidences, like say a tree branch falling on the hood just after it was painted, always getting flat tires, road debris cracking the windshield, etc. Then, every time you fix the problem, something else unusual pops up to the detriment of your wallet, and vehicle.

My fathers truck is kinda that way, but ONLY when my wife rides in it. Even before I hot rodded it. The truck will run fine as long as I ride alone, but even taking my wife for a short trip around the block, and well it never fails that something happens. I remember the truck got to where the engine used to not start after driving, but again ONLY when my wife was with me. All other times it would start just fine.

Last time we went for a ride in the truck [since the performance makeover] the inside passenger door handle broke off. Now you got to figure that since my father bought the truck new, and it was mostly just his work truck that he drove mostly alone, the driver side handle would be the one to break since it got used at least 30:1 more than the passenger side handle........go figure.

Oh, and my late father, and wife didn't get along the best. I think both put up with each other for my sake.

Anyway, call me superstitious, but I truly believe there are some vehicles that just seem to have an unlucky cloud handing over them.

Any of you ran across any vehicles like this? Remember, I'm not really talking about "haunted", just bad luck. Post your tales.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Cory
(Login 427Fastback)
Members

kinda..

April 16 2017, 10:35 PM 

Back in the early 90's I bought a early 70's F-250 4x4 from a friend.On three separate occasions he tried to trailer it to me (truck was 2 hours from home)every time the tow vehical or trailer would break down and the trip was aborted..He finally got it to me and when we pushed it off the trailer the front wheels locked up solid.Had to push it it up the driveway with another truck...The truck honestly gave me bad vibes and I asked him to take it back after a couple of weeks.We dragged it back down the driveway and as soon as the trailer was in sight the front wheels unlocked (read fricken weird) and up the trailer she went..

We both just agreed that the truck should stay with him.He had owned it for a very long time.. Only time I ever got bad vibes from a vehical or experience things of this nature..

Respond to this message   
Lou Manglass
(Login LouManglass)
Members

Two!

April 17 2017, 5:27 AM 

I owned a 1968 Olds Cutlass which seemed to be a damage magnet. Practically every time I parked it in a public parking lot, where I couldn't park it off by itself, I would return to find another ding, nick, or dent.

Then there was the 1975 T-Bird. I called it my "weekend car" because it seemed like I had to work on it all week to drive it on the weekend. It was full of strange maladies that I just never saw on these cars: failed rocker arms, broken/bent pushrods, the alternator failed minutes before leaving on a 1,000 mile road trip, and the rear end broke in half! The 9 3/8" housing split where the axle tube went in. I've never seen that before or since. We won't even talk about all the electrical problems, they were normal for a Ford of that era. Fortunately, I owned a shop at the time. I sold it to a friend of mine (against my better judgement but at his insistence) and the weird problems continued...

Yet, I still drive Fords even though I'm retired from General Motors! What is wrong with me?

Lou

Respond to this message   
eric
(Login wwyin62)
Members

It's not the truck...

April 17 2017, 6:02 AM 

it's your wife. try getting rid of her & see if things improve. Just an experiment, you know, for science's sake.

Respond to this message   
Rich
(Login truckpoor)
Members

Inanimate Objects

April 17 2017, 6:28 AM 

I've grown old having vehicles that responded well with my treatment, and some that did not. I've read articles and seen things on TV, that show that all life forms have senses and can respond to our actions, including plants. I've watched Christine many times, and enjoyed the movie every time. I have a theory that even inanimate objects may have some sort of life force. No proof of this, and don't know if it could be proven. I bought 2 Dodge products over the years, both of which were like owning the devil. Constant problems with both, one I bought new (89 Dakota) and one I bought used (70 Super Bee). Of the two, I liked the 70 better and had fewer problems, it was two years old when I bought it. The 89 I bought new and it was problematical from day one. Just plain cursed I believe.

Respond to this message   
Pete
(Login 427funn)
Members

I owned one

April 17 2017, 7:32 AM 

In 1980 I bought a 1970 Mach 1, 428CJ,4spd 430dl car 22000 miles, the original owner went off a cliff on the Sonoma coast and she got killed in the wreck, the guy I got it from worked at the tow yard, he bought a new body and put everything in the new body, a year or so later he flipped it up on its roof against a hill, he put a new roof and repainted it,and sold it to me, a year later I wrecked it on Christmas morning, I sold it to a good friend, he fixed it, and then totaled it, bought a new body,put the drive train in another Mach body, after some time he totaled it again, got another Mach body got it back on the road, and smacked the front again, and has been sitting in a garage for the last 20+ years, this is a truly ginked car, and the weird thing I might get it back, Pete

Respond to this message   
Tom P
(Login tomposthuma)
Members

I have a couple

April 17 2017, 10:15 AM 

I'm not sure if any of my cars aren't cursed. I know for sure my stupid wagon must be as it needs a thousand bucks thrown at every ten dollar problem before it's happy. My ramp truck seems to be too. How many of you have had the gas tank just explode while driving?

Respond to this message   

Mike U.
(Login mtrain)
Members

I'm glad you guys get what I ment by cursed cars. Also glad I'm not the only one with the

April 17 2017, 4:20 PM 

I didn't think I was the only one to experience this.

Respond to this message   
Chris McAlpine
(Login chris401)
Members

Very Common In The Late 70's- Early 80's

April 19 2017, 3:35 AM 

Used to see random explosions weekly on California's I-5.

CHiP's

Respond to this message   
Mike Brunson
(Login mbrunson427)
Members

Its funny you mention Christine!

April 17 2017, 10:14 AM 

We have a '68 Cougar, it's my uncles car, actually the first car I ever worked on. Through the process of building it we had more misfortunes than imaginable. After it was all put back together it failed us at least 10 times just taking little test trips around the block. You'd have it running and it would just shut off, try over and over with no luck, come back the next day and it'd fire right up. It has the GT-E hood scoop on it, it's had flames coming out of the scoop like a dragon once or twice. Every time you start it you kind of have to talk to it, just like Nicolas Cage talks to Eleanor. It's so temperamental.

Anyways......my aunt has always found it humorous that we never run out of patience with it and she'd be cracking up when we were pushing it back up the street from a failed drive around the block (it pushes like it's a locomotive by the way). She started calling it Christine and over time the name has kind of stuck.

Added a picture of the car:
[linked image]

This message has been edited by mbrunson427 on Apr 17, 2017 10:26 AM

Respond to this message   

Mike U.
(Login mtrain)
Members

Rick, I've kinda thought the same thing about cars having some kind of "life" in them. For

April 17 2017, 4:10 PM 

For example, I really baby all of my vehicles so they lead a pampered life.

However, it never fails that when I get ready to sell them they start having problems.

An 88 Mustang I used to own, and my first REAL Mustang [the first, first was my grandfathers 76 Mustang II, 4 cyl auto] did this to me.

I wrenched that car from a 4 cyl to a pretty stout [for its time] aluminum headed 302 carb'd motor. Did all of the mods from K member, 8.8 rear swap, full length exhaust, paint, etc. Its name was ol blue.

Anyway, when I bought my second 65 Mustang fastback I had to sell it as I needed funds to build the 65, and I also had to sell my 88 Mustang vert with a built 351w, aka big red.

Well, ol blue NEVER gave me a problem, it was to date the most fun car I ever owned. The kid who bought ol blue came all the way from OK to drive it home.

I was to meet him at a local school. On the way to the school the C4 wouldn't shift into third gear. I took the car back home, and put it on the jack, and somehow the vac mod line had worked its way off. I put the line back on, and all was fine.

So during the drive home the kid gets giddy, and decides to row through the gears. He said all was fine until he hit reverse, and locked the tires up.

Next was Big Red. Kid came from MS to buy it. He paid, and left, made it to the red light in a busy intersection where it died. I drove there to meet him, turned out the wire connection from the dura spark to the dizzy had came loose.

I followed him to the nearest parts store where I bought some tape to make SURE the connection didn't come back off. He made it just past the AL/MS line, and the serpentine belt broke [it was pretty much brand new].

Then there was my 55 Thunderbird that never failed to start until a buyer came to look at it.

Sometimes it makes you wonder if you impart some of yourself into these things with all of the love, and wrenching, and turn them into some kind of abomination of "life".

Respond to this message   

Evan Gaffney
(Login GaffneysWrath)
Members

Mom's VW

April 17 2017, 11:18 AM 

My mom bought an early 2000's Jetta secondhand. It has the naturally aspirated 2.0, which I personally believe is one of the best 4-bangers on the market in that range of displacement. It had been maintained beautifully. Full service records, everything worked, even still had the stick-on plastic protectors on all the shiny bits of the interior. It worked perfectly for 2 years, at which point it started to behave in a way that I can only describe as demonically possessed.

The entire electrical system has seemingly developed a mind of it's own, and systems that share not so much as a scrap of common wiring will interact totally at random. For example (my favorite), if you turn the windshield wiper on the low of high setting, past the intermittent setting, it cracks the sunroof (always ideal in the rain). The blinkers don't work or work intermittently, but the emergency flashers work just fine... as long as the radio is on. It also likes to lock (or unlock) itself totally at random, sometimes after sitting for days. I've been through half of it with a good multimeter, and Mom took it to the dude who is supposed to be like THE VW guy, and neither of us could find anything wrong with it. Conclusion: Gremlins.

My 94 bronco, on the other hand, just keeps on ticking.
Evan

1967 Galaxie XL, Q-code, 428"
2012 Focus SE (appropriated by the Mrs.)
1994 Bronco, 5.0L (called back into service from its well-deserved retirement)

Photobucket
Photobucket

Respond to this message   
Jim Kramer
(Login J-Kramer)
Members

If you haven't already......

April 17 2017, 2:30 PM 

Check the fuse plate. I ran a VW parts department from 1975 until 1985, and I sold a lot of fuse plates, along with the terminal blocks and terminals for the Golf/Jetta vehicles. They would corrode and leak voltage from terminal to terminal. You usually couldn't see it until you took it apart........Jim Kramer

Respond to this message   

Evan Gaffney
(Login GaffneysWrath)
Members

Thanks, Jim! I'll look into it.

April 17 2017, 6:01 PM 

She lives on the oh-so-rusty east coast, so that could very well be the issue.
Evan

1967 Galaxie XL, Q-code, 428"
2012 Focus SE (appropriated by the Mrs.)
1994 Bronco, 5.0L (called back into service from its well-deserved retirement)

Photobucket
Photobucket

Respond to this message   
wayne aldrich
(Login striptripper53)
Members

How about a engine

April 17 2017, 6:02 PM 

A 331 small block chevy killed three brothers over a six years one in a 55 chevy then a nova with the same engine.

Respond to this message   

Falcon67
(Login Falcon67)
Members

Only cursed owners

April 17 2017, 7:39 PM 

The cars were the victims IMHO.

Guy buys a granny 70 Olds Cutlass (I think - been a while, like 40+ years), 455 with one bbl carb, low miles, pristine. Works on the carb, burns the top of the motor off, destroys hood. Never got it to run right again.

Guy buys a 74 Monte Carlo (disco car!). Nice, vinyl top like a VIP edition. Runs good, real fast. ??? Letters fall off vinyl top, hood hinge breaks. Energetic driving breaks a valve spring, drops a valve. He's broke so I offer to help. Pull off one head, hey this is a 396 with forged pop ups. No wonder it like premium. Find valve and spring from friend (I'm Ford, got no GM parts around here), buff the valve to the seat, new head gasket and intake gasket on one side, button it up. Knocks. Sorry dude. Drives it anyway. Luck turns, calls in a week "Hey, it stopped knocking and runs great!"

Never saw the car again.

This message has been edited by Falcon67 on Apr 17, 2017 7:41 PM

Respond to this message   

Falcon67
(Login Falcon67)
Members

OK, maybe a couple

April 17 2017, 7:58 PM 

Thought about it...been a long time ago.

Had a nice red 84 Mustang. Good car, did have to rebuild the 2.3L motor once after a cracked piston skirt but we had that thing for years and it always ran, even after sitting for long periods. Charge the battery, prime the carb, off it'd go. "Luck" got it caught in a hail storm which paid off the note. It sat outside for several years, after a while all hte hail dents went away. That's our "control" Mustang LOL. Compare -

Bought an 86 notch Mustang, clean 2.3L, white, perfect little runner. Bought it from Ted Arendale Ford in Arlington, used lot. Before we went to pick it up after prep and loan papers donw, it was sitting on the lot when some lady jumped the curb and whacked 4 cars on the front row and pushed one into ours. That car never did act "right". Went through it a few time, never found anything out of place. It'd just act up sometimes. Stall, not start, run ruff, etc.
Should have kept that one and hot rodded it.

Best -
When I met my wife she was driving a borrowed Pinto. It was three colors with a bumper sticker that read "I'm into it". We started dating and I peeled that sticker off the car. After that, that car was after me big time. Blew off a fuel line, ate batteries, die here and there and not start, etc. The big one was her driving to her apartment from work. Crossing the downtown overhead (long gone) in Fort Worth - this was heavy I-20 traffic two lanes just west of the big mixmaster interchange with I-35W. About the middle of the bridge the car goes wide open. She kicks it to neutral and shuts it down. Manages to make it off the bridge on foot, calls me. I meet her at the scene. The shoulder on the north side lanes was just big enough to hold the car - traffic on one side, guard rail and 20' down to the street on the other. So here I go, climb over the car, slide in the drivers side window Duke Style and pop the hood. Trucks and such booming by at 60 MPH, every one rocks the car against the guard rail. Slide out, remove air cleaner. Large head screw from the choke had rolled around the carb flange - a flange about 1/4 wide if that - to the other side of the carb and locked the throttle open. I move the linkage and it fell to the ground. You sorry !@#@#$@. Started right up.

We got married shortly after, made the guy that "loaned" it come from New Mexico and get that SOB. He had just made it back across the border into NM and it quit on him.

This message has been edited by Falcon67 on Apr 17, 2017 7:59 PM

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index