Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

H&M double lobe cams?

April 18 2017 at 9:23 PM

Anonymous  (Login westcoastgalaxie)
Members

I was talking to a neighbor the other day who bleeds ford blue. He was talking about an interesting H&M piece he came across back in the day but never bought. Claims it was a cam/crank gear setup that ran the cam at 1/4 crank speed or half its normal speed. They then used a double lobed camshaft to keep the valve timing with piston timing but that this in effect slowed the valve train down allowing you to rev the motor higher without running into valve float.

Something doesn't add up with this and some basic googling isn't coming up with anything. I am having a hard time seeing how this would do anything other than slow the camshaft down which isn't the problem when it comes to valve float. Maybe a reason it never caught on? Or is this guy's "memory" just off? Anyone heard of something similar from H&M that he might be confusing this with? Or is he telling it accurate and I am just misunderstanding it?

This message has been edited by westcoastgalaxie on Apr 19, 2017 8:32 AM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Tim
(Login 10w30dna)
Members

1/4 speed cams

April 18 2017, 10:48 PM 

I never tried one,but remember a brand ( Schaller?)that came out with that design,but did not seem to have much success. You still need valve actions to match piston action. I believe that as durations of cams increased ,the limit of 1/4 speed cam did not have the ability to provide the numbers.
Engines are like garages,never big enough! Check out my distributor restoration sites! New http://428cobrajetcars.com

This message has been edited by 10w30dna on Apr 19, 2017 4:27 AM

Respond to this message   
Dan
(Login 32bantam)
Members

Cam

April 18 2017, 11:28 PM 

I'm fairly sure Isky tried this as to further the fifth cycle principle vs the long duration single lobe "5cycle"cam.

Respond to this message   
Damon Henderson
(Login hendawg57)
Members

Saw one a couple years ago.

April 19 2017, 2:21 AM 

it was for use in a boat(Chevrolet power), supposedly to make more power or something according to the owner.
1957 Fairlane 500
1965 Custom Sedan
1965 Galaxie Convertable

Respond to this message   
Tommy A.
(Login KoolRunning)
Members

1/4 speed cam............

April 19 2017, 6:26 AM 

Tim is correct it was Harold'BUS'Shaller that designed the 1/4 speed cam timing camshaft,but it was groung by DeLong. Red Line got a bunch of the DeLong masters and I just had a friend call him about doing a FE 1/4peed cam and he said it would run $$10,000 to do it because of all the labor.........Tom

Respond to this message   

StarlinerRon
(Login StarlinerRon)
Members

X2 Schaller (spelling?)

April 22 2017, 8:03 PM 

n/m

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index