Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

66 Cyclone rare (?) hood questions

April 19 2017 at 10:55 AM
Loren   (Login Jigsaw66)
Members

I posted about this hood quite some time ago but since then I have finally got to the point I need some info. It is a "Ram Air" fully functional twin scoop hood, that I believed was a race hood from Ford that was produced for racing only. Racers quit using it as it was heavier than the stock non-functional hood. Recently I came across a Car Craft article (2014) about a fellow in the Seattle area whose name is Shawn Carlson, who has the exact same hood on his 66. He apparantly got his hood from the Bud Moore racing team at some point, which makes the Ford racing theory a little weak. The hood I have has been modified by someone, who extended the scoops to the front of the hood, to make it look like a 65 Cyclone hood. I would like to use this hood on my GT, but I need some pictures to put it back to the way it was before modifications were made. The front underside of the hood has also been modified. I'm hoping someone has knowledge of these hoods or some pics. I have sent some emails to people in the Seattle area to try and get contact info for Shawn but have been unsuccessful so far.Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.....Loren

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Stacey
(Login Staceyanddee)
Members

I have never heard of a funtional 66 Cyclone hood.

April 19 2017, 11:25 AM 

That isn't to say there weren't any. I own 2 original and the scoop's are non functional. I recently posted an image I took of my car and hood while cruising last week. It is in the photo section. I can give you some measurement's if you need them. Or I could sell you an excellent hood if you're in close proximity to 33852.

Respond to this message   
Loren
(Login Jigsaw66)
Members

Not close

April 19 2017, 4:29 PM 

Stacey> I couldn't be farther away as I'm in BC Canada....lol

Respond to this message   
Greg
(Login mycyclone)
Members

Hood in question

April 19 2017, 1:34 PM 

Loren
From the information that I have on the hood that you speak of, it was an option that could have been purchased over the counter in 66. This along with many other options where listed in the performance tri-fold hand out from Mercury for the folks that were setting their cars up to run C-stock. The openings were a little larger then the factory hood, but were in the same location, you would have also gotten an lower adaptor air filter plate to seal to the underside of the hood.

From everything that I have learned, these are EXTREMLY rare. I have chased down many leads to come up empty handed each time. Crites is making (or did make) an aftermarket hood that looked very close to the original. I did purchase one of them, just still undecided though if I want to invest the money in making it straight to fit hood opening (trim piece does not fit very well that goes across the front).

It would be helpful if you could post a picture of the underside, and I could compare to the pictures I have of the original to see if it is a real deal as many tried to cut out the steal support and make their own.

Greg

Respond to this message   
Loren
(Login Jigsaw66)
Members

Photos

April 19 2017, 4:31 PM 

Greg I will try and get my bodyman to send me some photos to compare but I do believe it is the real deal, although modified as I said in my thread.Thanks

Respond to this message   
Loren
(Login Jigsaw66)
Members

pics below

April 19 2017, 8:01 PM 

Hi Greg. There are pics posted below and this is the same as the hood I have.Do you have a list of performance options from Mercury for a 66 Cyclone GT? Thanks. You can PM me at ....smitty077@shaw.ca.....Loren

Respond to this message   
Jim
(Login FormerlyCyclonic66)
Members

I have info

April 19 2017, 2:07 PM 

I have a Mercury performance catalog for the 66 Cyclone. It lists performance parts, including that hood with pictures, prices and part numbers.
This catalog is also extremely rare, so I don't want to copy the whole thing. Contact me and I will give you pictures of what is listed in the catalog for that hood.

Jim@snowmobilityDOTCOM

Respond to this message   

Steve D
(Login ctcobra)
Members

66 Comet Ram Air Hood

April 19 2017, 2:25 PM 

Sit tight. I have an unmodified plazaglas (sp?) 66 Comet ram air hood. I purchased it from a very knowledgeable forum member who told me that it originally had a Bud Moore shipping label on it. I can send pictures when I get home, if photobucket cooperates.
[linked image]

Respond to this message   
Loren
(Login Jigsaw66)
Members

Perfect

April 19 2017, 4:32 PM 

Thanks Steve. Send a PM if it's easier.....smitty077@shaw.ca

Respond to this message   

Steve D.
(Login conncobra)
Members

Pictures below.

April 19 2017, 6:28 PM 

[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

Respond to this message   
Loren
(Login Jigsaw66)
Members

Many thanks

April 19 2017, 6:47 PM 

That is the hood I have, but the scoops on top have been extended to the front edge of the hood and the underpart of the front has been altered also. Thanks very much. At least we have a starting point, and I now think it was a very special order item from Mercury.

Respond to this message   
PetesPonies
(Login PetesPonies)
Members

isn't Plexiglas . .

April 19 2017, 7:53 PM 

looks to be fiberglass as most hoods were made. Nice piece though.
Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance

Respond to this message   

Kevin Rolph
(Login thatdarncat)
Members

Plazaglas

April 19 2017, 8:56 PM 

"Plazaglas" is a trade mark of Plaza Fiberglass Mfg. Ltd. company. That is what Steve D. Is referring to above, not plexiglas. Plaza Fiberglass is one of the suppliers of 1967 Shelby original fiberglass body parts. I don't know who supplied the Comet hoods. The Shelby parts often had a sticker on them. That Comet hood is a cool piece.

Respond to this message   
Tom P
(Login tomposthuma)
Members

Ram Air Comet

April 19 2017, 9:30 PM 

I wish all the cool facts would come out about Comets, things like the Indy Pace Cars and the drag race package that hood was part of.
There was a road test on a new 66 Cyclone where the car ran 13's. Most likely equipped with that drag package. I think PI intake, ram air hood, maybe the bigger carb, gears, not sure what else. I think the Police Interceptor intake being allowed by NHRA for Stock is from that Comet package. I'm pretty sure no Mustangs or Fairlanes ever came with one. As far as I know the late Rroger Rice was the first guy in the 80's to run a 390 GT with Police Interceptor in NHRA Stock with his 66 Comet. Maybe he was the guy who got it allowed or found it already was.

Where did your hood come from? If local it might be from the George Black Motors race car which ran later in 66 with a 427.

Respond to this message   

Stacey
(Login Staceyanddee)
Members

Wow. That would look best on my car. ;<)

April 20 2017, 3:36 AM 

I had no idea about these performance option's.

Have you found a Cyclone Grill for your car?

Respond to this message   
Loren
(Login Jigsaw66)
Members

Cyclone grille

April 20 2017, 6:54 AM 

Yes. Thanks Stacey, I have the correct grille.

Respond to this message   
Greg
(Login mycyclone)
Members

Hood

April 20 2017, 5:03 AM 

Steve, any interest in selling that piece? I have been chasing a lot of ghost stories trying to get my hands on one of those for a very long time. I understand the rareness of the hood, thus the reason I wanted one for my car. I have one of the Crites hoods, but decided to stay with the factory hood at this part of the restoration.

BTW, thanks for sharing those pictures...many people don't know that piece existed.

Greg

Respond to this message   

Steve D
(Login ctcobra)
Members

1966 Comet Ram Air Hood

April 20 2017, 6:39 AM 

I may be selling the hood in the near future as my comet project is going in a new direction. I did offer it to Loren, so he will be first in line if I decide to sell. Please send your contact information to sdepalma@sbcglobal.net.
[linked image]

Respond to this message   
Greg
(Login mycyclone)
Members

Hood

April 20 2017, 9:01 AM 

PM sent

Respond to this message   
pmw
(Login PmW-SOHC)
Members

Comet Ram Air hood

April 20 2017, 11:52 AM 

I sold that hood to Steve about 10 years ago . It is a very rare hood and was in very good condition when I sold it to him . It had never been painted . They came on the special build of 66 Comets that were prepped by Bud Moore for Ford, for distribution to Ford dealers that wanted to go racing . the hoods were built by Plazaglas but I dont know if they were available through the Ford parts network or only through Bud Moore but I assume they were available through Ford if you could come up with the proper part number . as was the case with the 66 427 Fairlane hoods , Ive never seen any referance to them in any Ford parts manuals . That hood is exactly what Steve says it is and these days is probably worth twice what it was 10 years ago to someone that wanted an original and rare Ford part .

Respond to this message   

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index