Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

HP Scratch on back of C3AE-6015-H Block

April 20 2017 at 2:11 PM
Chris  (Login ccarney)
Members

I'm looking at a 427 complete engine that someone has for sale. They said it was a C3AE-6015-A Block. I asked for a pic of the casting number and wanted to make sure it is a 6015-AB.

I got the pictures today and the block is a 6015-H block which is a 390. He also sent a pic of the scratch mark on the back of the block and it is an HP scratched into the block, the block is also crossbolted.

I have him getting me the date off of the block and pulling the pan to show me how it was crossbolted.

I am not interested in the engine anymore with the H block but am curious about the HP scratch on it since I have not seen that before. And I told him that I would help him figure out what he has. Pics attached. I'm still waiting on a cast date.

So my question is when did Ford start scratching blocks. I have an I on the back of my GT-E block (427) and have seen the A and C on 428s.

[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Lance
(Login 428kidd)
Members

What is the bore?

April 20 2017, 4:10 PM 

If I'm not mistaken around that time is when the casting numbers got sketchy. Here is a old link.http://www.network54.com/Forum/74182/message/999663473/C3AE-H

This message has been edited by 428kidd on Apr 20, 2017 4:12 PM

Respond to this message   
Chris
(Login ccarney)
Members

He said that it is a 427

April 20 2017, 6:00 PM 

30 over and that they used diamond pistons. He said the guy that work for him built it and he doesn't know anything about it. It is a complete engine from oil pan to bresther. The date on it is 3D 30 and it is cast above the oil filter housing and not like the casting date on my 6015 AB block. I told him to pull a couple of freeze plugs and do the drillbit test on it and really didn't know what else to tell him at this point. I suppose he could measure the bore with the oil pan off so I'll ask him to do that.

I have not had a chance to look at that link but will. Thanks

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(Login BBFTorino)
Members

Late 406 block??

April 21 2017, 12:21 AM 

Is it possible??

Respond to this message   
Lance
(Login 428kidd)
Members

I think if the bore

April 21 2017, 5:17 AM 

checks out it is a real 427. I have seen other 427 with the HP sand scratch on later blocks. To late of a date for 406 stuff I think. This is one of the casting that they started to reuse the cores on other blocks. That is what adds confusion to id later blocks.

Respond to this message   
Leland
(Login lhstanford)
Members

I've had a few C3AE-H blocks

April 21 2017, 11:08 AM 

Never seen one with sand scratch though. Or 'norbs' for crossbolt. I did have one with threaded core plugs. It turned out to be a marine block. I thought I had something unique till you guys defined it. Also my literature only shows 3 C3AE blocks w/ crossbolt mains. The 6015-M, 6015-Z. and 6015-AB. All 427;s. My C3AE-V block is marked HP and has 'norbs' on mains but it's a definite 406.
The first time I recall seeing a 'sand scratch' on an FE engine was in the late 60's. It had a large 'X'. At that time I didn't have a clue as to the meaning (still don't pretty much lol) of the markings. started appearing. My 71' Industrial 428 had an I C scratches.

Respond to this message   
Chris
(Login ccarney)
Members

Drill Bit Test

April 24 2017, 7:24 AM 

I talked to the owner again. He pulled the freeze plugs or at least one of them and said that he could barely get a 1/8 drill bit to go between the cylinders. He also said the pistons bought were not Diamond but another brand (cant remember since I did not write down brand name) but were 4.28 diameter pistons. The engine is supposedly all date correct components (I have not asked for all the dates) has the C3AE H heads, carbs dated 333, the right 6 blade fan, generator, brackets etc and everything else correct for 63 1/2 427 Galaxie engine.

Also, he told me that the date did not come from above the oil filter housing, when earlier I thought that he said it did. When I talk to him again I will get a pic of the block date and asked for some of the dates of the other components.

I'm still trying to help him understand what he has so he can represent it correctly in his ad, when listed. He is 75 years young and does not own a computer. The engine is listed by a friend and its tag team communications. I have spoken to both of them though.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index