Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Randy Payne

April 20 2017 at 3:10 PM
Falconred  (Login falconred)
Members

I bring sad news that a friend to many of us has passed away. I do not know all the details right now but will pass them on as I get them.

Ford Drag Team member and great representative of the sport of drag racing Randy Payne has left us to rejoin his partner Hubert Platt. An automobile accident took his life yesterday. His health had been bad for some time but the last word I had was that he was improving and I was hoping to see him soon.

Rest in Peace "Mr Bigg Stuff" Randy Payne.

I have several photos but can't seem to get Photobucket to work for me any more.

This message has been edited by falconred on Apr 20, 2017 3:11 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Lance
(Login 428kidd)
Members

I would be more than

April 20 2017, 4:07 PM 

Glad to post them if you wish to email them to me. Click my name to email me. Thanks .

Respond to this message   
Tom P
(Login tomposthuma)
Members

Bad news

April 20 2017, 10:22 PM 

Sorry to hear that. He joins a way too long list of great 60's and 70's Super Stock racers who've passed away lately.

Respond to this message   
Gregg Montgomery
(Login shotgun429)
Members

Re: Bad news

April 21 2017, 1:07 AM 

Thats very sad.

Respond to this message   
Froman87
(Login Froman87)
Members

I quit using Photobucket

April 21 2017, 10:02 AM 

long time ago. BTW you don't have to use Photobucket to post your images here. I have been using this one for a while now and it's super quick and easy.

https://postimage.io/

Respond to this message   
Lance
(Login 428kidd)
Members

Pictures

April 21 2017, 1:06 PM 

from Falconred. I had the honor to meet him and Hubert awhile back. I feel great to have gotten both there autographs and to have talked to both. Both treated me like just one of the boys ! Here to a great live well lived!

photo platt VS Payne must-camero 68_zpsxot5isfl.jpg
photo Payne white must VS Dutton Cuda_zpszdhtmxqx.jpg
photo Platt  Payne Hauler_zpscytmpbux.jpg
photo 003_23_zps7ux0amu7.jpg
photo 012_14_zps5w36vzah.jpg

Respond to this message   
Falconred
(Login falconred)
Members

Re: Pictures

April 21 2017, 1:31 PM 

Thanks Lance for posting these for me.

The top photo is from the days before Ford, Randy running against his soon to be running mate Hubert Platt. I think this is in Alabama.

The second photo is Randy in his CJ running against Harold Dutton in the Barracuda, in his one year away from Ford.

The third is of the Platt and Payne Ford Drag Team hauler.

The fourth and fifth are from Dick Brannon's Ford South show a few years back in Cumming, GA.

Respond to this message   
Tom P
(Login tomposthuma)
Members

that drag strip

April 21 2017, 2:08 PM 

I used to assume those cool "cliff" pictures were Lassiter Mountain in Alabama but it's LaGrange/Troup County in Georgia. There has been a bunch of excavation to knock down those cliffs down since the 60's. Which makes me wonder if all the cars had to come down the strip from the top end and turn around to race in the old days.
[linked image]
[linked image]

This message has been edited by tomposthuma on Apr 21, 2017 2:21 PM

Respond to this message   
Falconred
(Login falconred)
Members

Al

April 22 2017, 8:38 AM 

I had also been told many times that is was from AL. Thanks for passing this along. As far as the returning cars, the old Double H in Blue Ridge, GA had the cars turning around and coming back down the track about 3/4 of the way before going off on a side road to the pits.

Respond to this message   
RonW
(Login reman)
Members

Real sorry to hear this, Robert...........

April 22 2017, 10:36 AM 

Also sorry that I did not come to know him as well as I got to know Hubert. But I did have a few conversations with him and they were always most enjoyable. Another one of the icons, and in my opinion, a pioneer is gone. May he RIP. RonW

Respond to this message   

StarlinerRon
(Login StarlinerRon)
Members

Was he the same Randy Payne who ran a

April 22 2017, 7:27 PM 

Supercharged 57 Ford stocker w/a guy named Parham?

Ron.

Respond to this message   
SSdynosaur
(Login SSdynosaur)
Members

57 Ford

April 22 2017, 9:09 PM 

Negative. I believe the person you are referring to is/was Gordon Payne, who went on to become an engineer for Ford in Dearborn.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index