Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

O/T but will be used on Ford parts .. I seek 4 castors for tumbler..

May 14 2017 at 4:38 PM
winr1  (Login winr1)
Members

10" or 12" PVC pipe for all kinds of parts

I seek 4 castors that will see a lot of spin time

Am concerned regular castors will wear

I have 2 variable speed tread mill motors to use

Any thoughts ??

May make one to do cranks as well

Ricky.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Button
(Login cliffrod)
Members

Ideas

May 14 2017, 5:41 PM 

The best castors/wheels I use on equipment here have full span bearings instead of the small sealed bearings pressed into the hub on each side. My large hand truck has four such wheels, two per side, with rollers approx 4" long surrounding a 1" diameter axle in each wheel hub. That hand truck (setting truck) will easily move a 1000lb-1500lb stone of you can handle it. These aren't cheap, but they're the best. Very smooth and stable. There are smaller versions available. Either are probably overkill but would handle the weight without worries. If you cannot find what I'm talking about, send me an email.

Not sure what length you plan to make, but using a pair or more of conveyor rollers mounted in a semicircular chassis underneath the tube would probably be a better way to go. Very stable. If they are the better kind with good bearings, they'll last a long time and this would be very space-efficient. The tube rollers would be my choice over ganged wheel rollers.

A pair of pillow block bearings, one mounted to each end of the cylinder, is another option.

Tumbling parts may be ok for some things, but a vibratory unit would be safer to keep corners and edges from damage. What kind of media do you plan to use?

1967 Galaxie 500 Red original Q code 428
1967 Galaxie 500 White with Black stripes 428PI clone- car is dead & long gone, sold near Oak Ridge TN 2000, would love to find it.....
Please visit http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/ for pictures, information and video links to my work.

Respond to this message   
winr1
(Login winr1)
Members

Thanks Button :-) ... I thought of a vibratory unit later perhaps ..

May 14 2017, 6:19 PM 

I have 2 motors, I will build both happy.gif

I have 10 4100 carbs, 6 2100 carbs and 2 AFB's

They are bare, I thought I would mechanically make them pretty

The steel parts will get plated

The boosters and such on the Fords will get colored

Ricky.

Respond to this message   

Button
(Login cliffrod)
Members

What about soft media blasting?

May 14 2017, 7:41 PM 

Baking soda works great on alloy & non-ferrous parts, very gentle. Same with walnut shell or other soft media. I like soda a lot for alloy parts on bikes, including assembled engines in chassis and built wheels hubs. Wash it well after, water with or without a mild acid like vinegar, and then dry to help mitigate any corrosion issues. it doesn't texture the surface at all, even leaves variations in color typical of some casting so the look very original. Just too simple.

The new evapo-rust and metal rescue type products are really something as well. I recently got an old small tinsmith bead roller, overall construction is some ferrous and some alloy with a wooden handle. Apparently it was rusted solid, then soaked in the 5 gallon bucket for a day. Unbelievable. You would never know it was ever anything less than a never neglected old shop item. Item needs to be grease free before soaking. Thought it was not safe to use on alloy parts, but didn't seem to bother those parts on the tinsmith. Since then, I've been wondering how it would do if you just put an entire carb/pieces in it. Maybe someone here has tried this already??

I've got a vibratory tumbler (ok but not my preferred method), ultrasonic units (love them) and various blasting gear. Gotta get a big bucket of that metal rescue product.
1967 Galaxie 500 Red original Q code 428
1967 Galaxie 500 White with Black stripes 428PI clone- car is dead & long gone, sold near Oak Ridge TN 2000, would love to find it.....
Please visit http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/ for pictures, information and video links to my work.

Respond to this message   
winr1
(Login winr1)
Members

Thats an idea ..

May 14 2017, 7:45 PM 

I have a 50 lb portable blaster with a small nozzle

100 lbs of walnut shell and soda but never used them

I have a junk carb body and bits I could try in the evaporust

Ricky.

Respond to this message   
Chris McAlpine
(Login chris401)
Members

I Am Going To Make My Chassis Rotisserie

May 14 2017, 7:07 PM 

With the hubs from a car. Get them when they start to hum and they will still work smooth for a long time.

Respond to this message   
winr1
(Login winr1)
Members

Excellent idea Chris :-) ... sadly, I junked some F100 hubs ... N/M

May 14 2017, 7:41 PM 

Ricky.

Respond to this message   

Leny Mason
(Login LENYM)
Members

How about timing belt idlers

May 14 2017, 8:28 PM 

I have boxes of them if you want them they would run for ever, if you toe in the rollers on each end toward the inside it will stay in one place with a little adjustments, let me know I can send you some. Leny Mason

Respond to this message   
winr1
(Login winr1)
Members

Leny, cool idea and would most appreciate it ..

May 14 2017, 8:54 PM 

Will gladly pay for your time and shipping of course

I set up an assembly line and pretty up parts for forum members happy.gif

Ricky.

Respond to this message   

Larry Hampton
(Login 1320lane)
Members

Roller Blade Skateboard bearings, or nowadays, fidget spinners...

May 15 2017, 6:35 AM 

kid at church had a spinner, had ABEC 7's in it.

Used to see rollerblades in thrift shops all the time.

Respond to this message   
winr1
(Login winr1)
Members

Thanks Larry, there are a pair at my local thrift shop:-) ... N/M

May 15 2017, 1:46 PM 

Ricky.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index