Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Torino question on authenticity/ value

May 15 2017 at 9:37 AM
Leland  (Login lhstanford)
Members

A neighbor friend of mine has a 69 Torino fastback for sale. He says it's a Cobra not a Torino. 2 different cars? I don't think so? I know it's a Cobrajet car cause he's done a marti report on it. It has no engine but does have a toploader w/ bellhsng. Body has lots of surface rust, no rust through yet. Good glass. Rough interior. Any ideas or opinions on value would be appreciated.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
MeanGene
(Login 2many427s)
Members

"Cobra" stripper

May 15 2017, 9:56 AM 

Still have my six-way test, "The Econo-Racers". The fad was strippers with big engines, like the Roadrunner/ Super Bee, so it was a Fairlane Cobra with stripper trim. All could be upgraded of course, my cousin had a plain-jane 68 Roadrunner with poverty caps etc, while my uncle ordered one with a vinyl top and upgrade hubcaps and nice interior. Pretty soon "Torino Cobra" showed up on NASCAR flanks though
[linked image][linked image]

Respond to this message   

john vermeersch
(Select Login johnvermeersch501)
Members

VIN and warranty tag numbers will,tell all

May 15 2017, 10:13 AM 

The 3rd &4th diget in the vin are the series code ( in this case 45 ) and the body style (65 ?) tell everything....what do you got ??

Respond to this message   
Joe-JDC
(Login Joe-JDC)
Members

It could be a CJ Torino and not a Tornio Cobra. Grill,

May 15 2017, 11:09 AM 

trim, tires, shock location, gear ratio, Q/R code, etc. all must be verified. Joe-JDC

Respond to this message   

TorinoBP88
(Login TorinoBP88)
Members

Marketing misleading.

May 15 2017, 12:45 PM 

Marketing from back then is misleading,

The Torino got a "Cobra" with the CJ option and was sometimes called a '1969 Cobra', where they dropped the Torino, but not officially. And it is not really a Cobra in the true sense of other ford Cobra's. See add scanned in these links for Cobra parts options that would add on to the Cobra Jet engine:

[linked image]

http://barnfinds.com/snake-bit-1969-torino-428-cobra-jet/

https://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large-5/1969-ford-torino-cobra-gordon-dean-ii.jpg

From NASCAR:
https://68.media.tumblr.com/7411f5a0a3d2805a7a81e06b6b34cecd/tumblr_njj9qyrW7W1tvi84go1_500.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Torino sums it up about correctly. The VIN tells the story.

Later there was a "King Cobra" prototype on a 1970 car.

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/~/media/Images/Articles/2013/October/Cobra%20King.ashx

As for value, wow, hard to say, they don't sell for much even when restored and clean. You need to find a motor and correct intake/induction/air filter. You will have to spend about $20,000 on the car to get it to decent driver status (just a guess) with the correct engine. But then again, get it and build a nice 445 stroker and never look back, is another option.

Is it a sedan if FB? I personally like the sedan better in this car, but that's me.

This message has been edited by TorinoBP88 on May 15, 2017 12:55 PM

Respond to this message   
Gary
(Login garywittman)
Members

Re: Marketing misleading.

May 15 2017, 4:17 PM 

Having a CJ engine in a 69 Torino does not make it a Cobra. The 69 Cobra is basically a stripped down Fairlane and is just called a Cobra. The only Fairlane label I could find on my 69 Cobra is a on a tag in the glove compartment. The Torino was a more upgraded Fairlane. In 70, Ford did come out with the Torino Cobra. Nascar associated 69 Fairlanes were typically called Torino Cobras but they didn't even run the 428 CJ, they ran a 429. The Talladega model had Torino Cobra on the paperwork from Ford but it had a lot of out of the ordinary call outs.

I paid $18K for my 69 Cobra Sportsroof (Fastback) in 2005. It was complete and still had the original engine and transmission in it. I would not call it a show car but is a grade above a driver. From what I have seen in value, it is worth $23K-25K now and it takes a very nice car in special circumstances to get more than $30K out of a 69 Cobra. The Sportsroof usually draws more than the Formal roof. One without the engine would have a hard time getting $10K if everything else was in good condition. If the rest is on moderate to rough condition, $3k-5K may be all it would get.

Of course, everything I stated is my opinion but based on some history.

Respond to this message   
Leland
(Login lhstanford)
Members

I haven't laid eyes on it yet. Thanks, esp. Pippin & Gary

May 15 2017, 7:32 PM 

The cell phone photos i saw don't show much. Thanks all.

Respond to this message   

TorinoBP88
(Login TorinoBP88)
Members

speaking of cobra's or apparent ones, one in Oregon see classifieds

May 16 2017, 1:21 PM 

see classified section

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index