Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

I need a rag joint for a 1971 Mustang with thilt wheel. It is a surprize for my wife.

May 15 2017 at 4:50 PM
chris h  (Login kch)
Members

I need ASAP. I know this is the forum but I am desperate I can't find one and I have three weeks to finish the resto for our 20th anniversary. The rag joint has to ba from a tilt wheel alll full size fors and lincolns will work

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

doug smith
(Login cjshaker)
Members

What's the difference?...

May 15 2017, 5:04 PM 

What's the difference between the tilt and standard rag joint? You can get replacement rag joints at your local auto parts store and just replace the rubber, re-use the rest of the joint. I just did this a couple weeks ago on my '70 F350.

Respond to this message   
Dave B
(Login grandsport51)
Members

Tilt Column Insert

May 15 2017, 5:10 PM 

Respond to this message   
chris h
(Login kch)
Members

Very different!!!!

May 15 2017, 5:48 PM 

The rag joint on a tilt column bolts to the d-shaped bottom of the steering tube. The non tilt equivalent is welded on...

Respond to this message   

Dale
(Login Gier-head)
Members

Oh yes....very different

May 15 2017, 6:20 PM 

Can't help you right now. Sorry.

Here's one that WAS on eBay. See second picture in past eBay auction link below for the "D" shaped side of rag joint that the column end engages into. You'll see one side at the 2 o'clock position. Hard to see, but I know what to look for cuz I've had them in my possession in the past.

Good luck in your search.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-68-69-70-Ford-Mercury-Tilt-Steering-Rag-Joint-Mustang-Cougar-Used-Nice-/252824330067?hash=item3add811f53%3Ag%3AXvMAAOSwdGFYtZJW&vxp=mtr&nma=true&si=qg%252BWxCb35TKTFeOByTXv0Nu2DIw%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

[linked image]

Respond to this message   

Mike U.
(Login mtrain)
Members

If its not a 429CJ, or Boss 351, why not buy a U-joint style coupler?

May 15 2017, 7:52 PM 

In other words if its not a $$$$ concorse restored Mustang then why not just get rid of the rag joint?

All of my old Mustangs, and even an 80 Fox Mustang have been converted to a U-joint coupler, even my wife's 65 fastback.

Most of the couplers came with the rack/pinion steering kit, but I have since just converted from the rag joints myself.

I haven't seen the end of your steering shaft, but all of the shafts on my 65-67 I had to cut the ends off.

Buy a "D" coupler of your shaft size. After you get the coupler measure the shaft while its still attached to the steering box as if you had the coupler installed.

Cut the shaft about an inch up from where it goes into the steering box.

then grind one side flat for a few inches so that if you're looking at the cross section of the shaft it looks like the letter "D".

Next you buy a coupler with a "D" female, "D" female ends.

Take the part of the steering shaft with the spines, and grind it down on one side so that it too looks like a "D".

Since you have already ground down the side of the shaft that goes into the firewall a few inches up you should be able to test fit the coupler between the cut shafts.

Cut off the firewall side of the shaft to fit with the coupler attached to both sides of the shaft.

Once you have it where both shaft ends go into the coupler about an inch or so, use some thread lock glue, and tighten down the allen nuts to the shafts on the coupler.

You would be surprised how much better the steering feels after doing this.

Also, look for a kit, as there might be someone making it after all of this time.

Here are some couplers of which I speak.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/?_nkw=steering%20couplers%20double%20d

This message has been edited by mtrain on May 15, 2017 7:53 PM

Respond to this message   
Cory
(Login 427Fastback)
Members

cutting a Tilt

May 15 2017, 8:10 PM 

My 68 has tilt and I did cut the end of the shaft off to use a universal as I now have a rack.It is straight forward and I carefully cut it and saved the pc.It could be tig welded back on if needed.I also saved the correct rag joint..But...you are cutting a column worth $800.00 to $1000 and is very rare.Not everyone would be inclined to do it..

Respond to this message   
Tom P
(Login tomposthuma)
Members

rag joint

May 15 2017, 9:41 PM 

I have had a few tilt columns in the past and I think the rag joint was the same as a 67-early 70's Tbird which was more common.

Respond to this message   

TorinoBP88
(Login TorinoBP88)
Members

Looks like the the rag joint i used in my F100 & in my Galaxie. Dont know thread sizes.n/m

May 16 2017, 10:03 AM 

m

This message has been edited by TorinoBP88 on May 16, 2017 10:07 AM

Respond to this message   
DeWayne
(Login 69-jetcar)
Members

Rag Coupler

May 16 2017, 3:40 AM 

I have one. Send me your email for pics.

DeWayne
Dcolvin2@sbcglobal.net

Respond to this message   
chrish
(Login kch)
Members

rag joint

May 16 2017, 10:06 AM 

71 is different than 69-70. I am not sure how they are different but they are. If Wayne has a 71 I am in luck

Respond to this message   
John
(Login jetstuff)
Members

Rag Joint

May 16 2017, 10:17 AM 

If you know how to identify a 71, let me know, I have an extra I was saving to put a tilt in one of my Mach1's, but if it's a 71 joint, I have no use for it. (I know I parted a loaded 71 car years ago, used the tilt parts to fix a 70 column, always assumed 70 and 71 were the same joint)

John

Respond to this message   
chrish
(Login kch)
Members

I just found out how to identify. The steering box end is different

May 16 2017, 10:35 AM 

If you have a 70 steering box and it fits it will not fit the 71-3 as they have different sized splined shaft. Please LMK ASAP. I will buy it. cheinis@hairman.com

Respond to this message   
Byron W
(Login bwrinkle)
Members

Part numbers are:: hope this helps

May 16 2017, 1:37 PM 

P/S Fixed wheel: D1ZZ-3A525-A
P/S Tilt wheel: D1ZZ-3A525-B
Manual Stg : D4DZ-3A525-A

Respond to this message   
chris h
(Login kch)