Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

BT HR Large Chamber or Small Chamber? (are they still produced?)

May 16 2017 at 8:05 AM

Larry Hampton  (Login 1320lane)
Members

I might be getting close to getting a set of heads (if my '73 F100 sells soon).

My plan is to put them on a C5AE-H block I have, it has 3 sleeves but hadn't been windowed.
I've communicated with Rick Kirk about the top and bottom grout process, regardless, I'll
fully check out the block prior to ordering heads.

I also have a 428 block, answer is clear there.

My question is, if I hurt the 427 block, I'd either go to the 428 or maybe just call it quits.
Is there a gain or a loss by putting the small chamber heads on a 427 block? Ordering pistons anyways.

I'm not trying to compete with Jim Gonia, LOL!!

I'm interested in what Barry, Blair and Brent have to say (or any other engine builders I've forgotten about,
do their names have to start with a "B", I mean right now I'd be getting BBB accreditation, wouldn't I?)

Larry Hampton

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
e.philpott
(Login pooreric)
Members

I did stay in a Holiday Inn once

May 16 2017, 1:58 PM 

BT could sell 50 sets real quick if they would make them , just like there 2x4 intake so don't hold your breath .... Pro Ports are probably what you want and in the same time zone as the BT's on ET and AVAILABLE right now

sell your 427 and 428 blocks and get a new BBM iron block so you can have some fun and not worry about " Popping anything " every time you floor it

Respond to this message   

Mike U.
(Login mtrain)
Members

Best advice from E. Blue Thunder heads are hard to find used, and when you do they are way

May 16 2017, 2:18 PM 

If/when you do find a set of BT HR heads they will cost way more than they are worth IMO.

I would go with BBM's, or some of the other heads sold by guys like Brent, and Blair P here on this forum.

Respond to this message   

.Jeff Colvert
(Login JeffC4456)
Members

My name dosen't have a ''B'' in it but

May 16 2017, 2:24 PM 

I have some Edelbrock Pro Ports or BBM's that will make those old stock blocks split from laughter or maybe in this case HP.
Jeff Colvert
Jeff Colvert Racing CNC Cyl.Heads
870-245-2253
2011,12,13,14 NHRA SS/F national record holder
9.12@144.27 3230lb
2009 NHRA SS/G national record holder 9.48@140.53 3320lb
Best 9.12 @ 148.02
69 Mustang SS/G first in the 9's (1989)
88 Saleen GT/A NHRA Record 428 CJ 8.79 @ 150.26 (2016)
First SS/F car below the teens (2013)
68 GT500KR 2330

Respond to this message   
ron
(Login green428)
Members

pro ports

May 16 2017, 3:29 PM 

jeff, I am looking to replace the heads on my keith craft built 428cj stroker. currently running stage 2 iron cj heads. do the pro ports have the same exhaust port height, location, as the factory cj heads? thanks ron

Respond to this message   
Bill Ballinger
(Login 65billgal)
Members

Jeff, could you email me on a question on BBMs? My address is

May 16 2017, 6:24 PM 

billballingersr@att.net

Nothing secret, just a basic question. I still have mine and I want to do them, but I need to know a couple of things that I can keep confidential, do you have a CNC port for them for instance for a small bore similar to the LS7 like I did on my C4AE-G's? Angles, Basic things like that. I can't do what I used to do, so I may send you my heads to be done your way. I want to do something small bore and sqauare strike , like 4.09X4.09 using a stock block. Optimal valve angles and sizing,,,

Thanks!

This message has been edited by 65billgal on May 16, 2017 6:33 PM

Respond to this message   

Perry
(Login 1968Gal)
Members

Re: Jeff, could you email me on a question on BBMs? My address is

May 17 2017, 6:37 AM 

How much $$$ do you want to spend on your small bore 428(429.88" engine)?
CNC porting an already large BBM port will make it even larger.
Are you looking to build a max effort 8500 rpm engine?

A street port "pro port head" is probably way more head than you will use
on the engine.

Since you already have the BBM's, put a nice valve job and bowl blend on them and put it together!

Then go have some fun!!

Respond to this message   
Gary Blair
(Login GB3351)
Members

Perry, what size intake valve would you recommend for Bill? n/m

May 17 2017, 2:24 PM 

Respond to this message   
Bill Ballinger
(Login 65billgal)
Members

The 12° homegrown C4s on my 394 are pushing the stock block hard, it hits 7000 easy

May 17 2017, 4:46 PM 

That is my dilema. I don't want to waste the BBMs, so I would like a 429.88 inch version of my 394, a solid 7000 rpm 550-600 hp engine. I am afraid 700 hp and 550 ft lbs is a lot to ask from a 390 based block. My C4AE-Gs with the X factor they have are close to enough to split the block. A tell-tale tach on my truck had me hitting 7450 in a mud drag and put a 454 Chevy to bed. Its capable, but Billy drove it and said it was spooky in the car. I wish I could afford a BBM block, or a used tricked out 428 one to live with 700 hp and a 7200 redline, I love rpms! I have a 3.98 stroke crank that can be turned down to a 4.09 2.2 journal.

That is my problem, a hyd roller 7000 rpm wailer of 430 ci. The heads with 2.2/1.68's in a 4.09 bore would do it. I have the cam. the intake to convert to EFI, a killer exhaust 2 inch Crites headers and a 3 inch X pipe. Thats what I want to do with them, 5/16 valves even...

Respond to this message   
Bill Ballinger
(Login 65billgal)
Members

I know, its crazy, but I would like to try to get my vision back

May 17 2017, 5:03 PM 

I would and have dreamed of an engine like that for years. The 394 has been a blast, and is at the limit of what I want to do with its internals, it has been together, the long block for 16 years, and stepping up the heads and intake have really made it a hard cruiser weight puncher. I still wish I had a 700 hp FE that can turn the same 7000+ as my 394. I know its nuts, My wife's 2011 305 hp V6 Mustang with its 6 speed auto is so sweet, I can just imagine building a 430 inch FE with that driveability and handling. The Galaxie is a fantastic platform and I still have my knowledge. I am crazy, but maybe stem cell research can repair my vision? A smooth 65 Galaxie with 700 hp and a 6 speed auto. I know it is crazy. I don't have the money, just the will and wish. I know.

Respond to this message   

Perry
(Login 1968Gal)
Members

Re: Perry, what size intake valve would you recommend for Bill? n/m

May 18 2017, 6:52 AM 

Gary,

Small bore I would use 2.15" maximum.
I am not sure what the BBM as cast bowl/seat area looks like. Might be forced to use a larger valve with those heads. One could always offset dowel the heads on the block to get the valve away from the bore.

Respond to this message   
Gary Blair
(Login GB3351)
Members

Makes sense Perry, I agree. n/m

May 19 2017, 5:00 AM 

Respond to this message   
Bill Ballinger
(Login 65billgal)
Members

I am thinking 2.2 intake and 1.65 exhaust

May 20 2017, 1:42 PM 

It worked well on Blair's 396 with BBMs. Thanks guys.

Respond to this message   

Larry Hampton
(Login 1320lane)
Members

Jeff, your name was one that I couldn't come up with...

May 17 2017, 11:28 AM 

I had meant to put it in the post, but couldn't recall your name.

And then there's the whole "not having a B" which would have made my lame joke even worse, LOL!!

I had figured the Dove HR TW I have would have the bottom of the port filled to the raised MR port I've heard about.
I wasn't aware of another head that would work with my intake.

Respond to this message   

Blair Patrick
(Login CaptCobrajet)
Members

I like.....

May 16 2017, 7:50 PM 

BBMs in various forms, depending on your goals and budget. I also use the ED Pro Ports, again in various forms depending on goals and budget. The OE 427 blocks hold up surprisingly well if prepared correctly. I have several customers right around 800 hp with non-filled OEM 427 blocks.....some have run for years with no block issues.

The 428 blocks start to get cost-prohibitive when crossbolts become a requirement, and won't live as good as a 427 block even if cross-bolted.

There are smart guys around here with Bbbbbrains who do not begin with B......like JC.....
Blair Patrick

Respond to this message   

Jim
(Login 2bolts)
Members

Intake availability

May 16 2017, 9:15 PM 

True experts are now on this page but I do not know of any aftermarket HR head with modern chambers that match up with an available cast intake besides the rare BTHRs?
BBM MRs with their TW sounds like a good way to go for Larry.

Respond to this message   

Blair Patrick
(Login CaptCobrajet)
Members

Available cast HRs.......

May 16 2017, 9:39 PM 

would only consist of a Dove tunnel wedge, or a Ford dual plane. Both are around....neither being produced at this time. I guess it depends on your definition of "available". I have mated my High Riser versions of the Ed Pro Port to the Dove HR T-wedge, the "PIE" T-wedge, and Ford dual planes. Mods to the valve cover rail are not so tough versus waiting years for castings....The Pro Ports are obtainable, and with a little creative machining, can become High Risers. BTDT many times....

On the MR front, many ways to go, as mentioned....
Blair Patrick

Respond to this message   

Larry Hampton
(Login 1320lane)
Members

I forgot to add, I have a Dove HR TW...

May 17 2017, 11:23 AM 

Was trying to use what I have on hand, and was hoping in the future to upgrade the block to an aftermarket one.

Respond to this message   

XR7
(Login XR7)
Members

which one?

May 17 2017, 1:37 PM 

I know DOVE made at least 2 versions, maybe more, the PIE with raised floors and "bulged out" plenum, and a standard type tall and narrow OEM port. The PIE lines up pretty good with a BT high riser CNC port, still some port work needed but not too bad. Jim ran one on his car before the sheet metal tunnel ram.The more standard HR with tall narrow ports would require epoxy in the floors and widening/raising of the port to match. I have messed with 2 of the PIE HR and one standard HR, both DOVE of course since FORD or nobody else, never made one.
68 Cougar XR7 street and strip car, 487/427, 4-speed Jerico, 10.5W, 3560# race weight, best 9.72@139.99 1.34 60 ft

Respond to this message   
Tom P
(Login tomposthuma)
Members

Re: which one?

May 17 2017, 4:43 PM 

I think there are three versions. There was one which was meant to fit under low hoods and seemed to be no higher than a MR TunnelWedge. The ports sort of came up and levelled off

Respond to this message   

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index