Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

No Spark on my MSD

May 16 2017 at 6:42 PM
Pootnanny  (Login Pootnanny)
Members

I not getting any spark on my 67 FB FE powered Mustang. I'm using and MSD 6AL box, MSD distributor and an MSD Blaster 2 coil.

I know I need to check the MSD box which I'll probably do tomorrow

I wanted to do a quick check of my coil first. I pulled the MSD Blaster 2 coil off to do an Ohms check but wanted to make sure I did it correctly. I set my multimeter at 200 and read the primary (+ post & - post) and it read 00.9 Ohms. I changed the multimeter setting to 20K. I measured off the + post and the primary post (coil wire) and it indicated a reading of 4.63.

Did I do this check correctly and do my readings indicate a coil problem?

Thanks,

John

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
bill
(Login bill_396)
Members

no spark MSD

May 17 2017, 2:08 AM 

I'd use the troubleshooting guide on the MSD site. The three times it happened to me the pick-up coil had gone bad.

Respond to this message   
Lou Manglass
(Login LouManglass)
Members

According to MSD...

May 17 2017, 11:47 AM 

Your coil should read:
Primary – .7 OHMS
Secondary – 4.5K OHMS

Which is about where you are at (.9 and 4.63).

One small piece of added information, the coil wire terminal is the secondary side.

Although the coil could still have a problem, based on those readings and the fact that you have no spark, I would look elsewhere. If the coil were completely dead, you probably would not have continuity.

Lou

Respond to this message   
Mike
(Select Login MeZapU)
Members

Test the box

May 18 2017, 7:07 PM 

By jumpering the two wire connector to the distributor. I usually use a pair of needle nose pliers. If it throws sparks, you know the box and coil are good.

I recently sent a 6AL box back to MSD for repair. $46 and came back all good to go with all new wires and a test card.
Black 1985 GT, 408w, Just into the 10's.
Yellow 1973 Mustang Mach 1
Black 2012 5.0 GT, 6-speed, Brembo brakes, 3.73's
Wimbledon White 1966 F-100 Shortbed Styleside, 352, Tremec 3550, FiTech EFI

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index