Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

dipstick mount location

May 17 2017 at 2:35 PM
Lordyfordy  (Login LordyFordy)
Members

I'm having a problem trying to find the proper threaded hole to use for the tang on the dipstick tube on my 67 428 engine. It has never been mounted to anything since I bought the car. It's just stuck in the hole with some Permatex around it so it won't leak. I managed to get it out of the hole and clean it all up but I can't find which hole to use for the mounting tang on the tube.I looked up the correct tube and dipstick #s and I have the right ones that are supposed to fit. I don't know if the tang has been unraveled from the tube and it is too long or what, but the bottom hole in the front of the head is too high and the lower bolt on the ex. manifold won't fit either. Hoping someone can tell me where this damned thing mounts up to.
Thanks, Bud

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Kevin Rolph
(Login thatdarncat)
Members

What vehicle?

May 17 2017, 2:55 PM 

What vehicle do you have?

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(Login LordyFordy)
Members

dipstick tube

May 17 2017, 5:02 PM 

The engine is a 1967 Ford 428 out of a 67 T-Bird. It is in a 63 1/2 Galaxie 500XL

Respond to this message   
ndtorque
(Login ndtorque)
Members

May 17 2017, 5:17 PM 

Check out this

[linked image]&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fforums.aaca.org%2Fgallery%2Fimage%2F8988-1967-ford-ltd-engine-428-ci%2F%3Fbrowse%3D1&title=1967%20Ford%20LTD%20Engine%20428%20CI%20-%20Ford%20Products%20-%20Antique%20Automobile%20Club%20of%20America%20-%20Discussion%20Forums&txt=

Respond to this message   

Bobby Spears
(Login x4rdtech)
Members

Re: image

May 17 2017, 7:30 PM 

That is where mine is mounted.

Respond to this message   
Sohclane
(Login sohclane)
Members

sounds like the tube may not be all the way into the block

May 17 2017, 8:27 PM 

[linked image]

This message has been edited by sohclane on May 17, 2017 8:28 PM

Respond to this message   
LordyFordy
(Login LordyFordy)
Members

dipstick

May 17 2017, 10:04 PM 

yep, the dipstick is seated in the hole. I measured the depth to the stop and it is seated. One problem I see right now is I have the long tube cast iron headers which is a lot thicker than the log type manifolds and I would have to bend the dipstick tube away from the ex. manifold and would make the tang too short to reach the manifold bolt. Thanks for the GREAT picture! It's better than a thousand words. Bud

Respond to this message   
kleandan
(Login kleandan)
Members

You may need to make it fit.

May 17 2017, 10:07 PM 

The T-Bird dipstick may well be different than the Mustang dipstick due to accessory mounting positions and fender well interference.
The FE has basically two common mounting positions, but there are others I'm sure. One goes under the lower bolt hole for #5 cylinder exhaust flange. The other uses the mounting hole in the drivers side cylinder head front.
The dipsticks have various bends to make them fit the application but basically the exhaust mount dipstick is straight into the hole and the head mount dipstick has two curves in it.

The head mount tab is more L shaped and the exhaust mount tab is more C shaped.

Get a torch, heat that tube and make it fit one of these locations. If you have a wide dipstick keep the tube as straight as possible. If you have a thin dipstick you can get away with more bends but there is a limit to how much curve the stick will go around.

Keep in mind you could have a dipstick tube from a totally different engine.

Respond to this message   
LodyFordy
(Login LordyFordy)
Members

dipstick

May 17 2017, 10:46 PM 

This is the correct tube and dipstick for this 428 engine. Found the numbers on the dipstick C7OZ-6750-A and the tube is C7OE-6754-A. It has the double curve in the tube, but when I mount the tang to the lower hole in the front of the head, the tube is not even in the hole in the block. I heated the mounting tang and straightened it out to it's maximum length and when the tube is bottomed out in the block, then the tang is about an inch and a half from the bottom hole in the block. Go figure. Murphys Law has me in his grips.
I'm gonna make a thin plate to connect the lower head hole to the tang on the tube, paint it, and hope nobody notices it. Thanks for all your input here guys, it was very appreciated. Bud

Respond to this message   

Kevin Rolph
(Login thatdarncat)
Members

Not correct part

May 18 2017, 12:28 PM 

You actually don't have the correct tube for your application, you have the dipstick tube for a shock tower application FE, like a 390 GT & 428cj Fairlane, Mustang, etc. and that's why it's not bolting up. The shock tower cars have different exhaust manifolds with the 14 bolt hole pattern in the heads and use the forward hole ( not upper or lower ) to bolt the dipstick tab. The dipstick tube your motor originally had is Ford part number C5AZ-6754-D, the same tube 1965-1971 full size Fords with FE's and '67-'68 T-Birds with 428's used. Those engines used flat exhaust manifolds and the 8 bolt ( top & bottom ) pattern. The '63-'67 427 full size cars used a different dipstick tube, part# C3AZ-6754-C, because they had the cast iron headers. Since you are using the cast iron headers that is what you want. That tube is is the one that uses a long tab that goes to the front of the head. I believe someone is reproducing the 427 dipstick tube, maybe Jack From Ga. here? Easiest thing would just be to fabricate a new tab for your tube to fit to the front of the head. Your dipstick is also for the '67-'70 shock tower cars since it matches the tube. You are ok using that dipstick with the tube you have now ( assuming you make a new tab ) but if you get the correct 427 tube then your current dipstick marks may be off, just FYI. There may be some pickup truck FE dipstick tubes that use the bolt hole on the front of the head, I'm not sure, but again you would want to have the matching dipstick, or re-mark where full is on yours.

This message has been edited by thatdarncat on May 18, 2017 12:46 PM

Respond to this message   
LordyFordy
(Login LordyFordy)
Members

dipstick

May 18 2017, 1:50 PM 

Thank You for the great info Kevin, I printed this out for my Galaxie records.
This is a great site for information and people that are willing to help.
Bud

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index