Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Turbo's, and stroker motors. I can't understand this.........

May 19 2017 at 4:48 PM

Mike U.  (Login mtrain)
Members

The Honda post down below got me thinking. That car has a Toyota 3.0l engine same as the Supra. However he stroked the engine to 3.2. Does having that little extra .2 liters really make that much difference in speed?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpT0HpfZK7I&t=213s

Everyone knows a 93 to 02 Toyota Supra, with its turbocharged 3.0l, 189cid
inline 6 cylinder engine.

I've seen these car making over 1k hp with those tiny 189 cid engines, boosted, of course.

I've also seen many boosted cars with all types of engines, and lots with stroker engines.

Since you can make huge hp with an engine like the Supra with only 189 cid, then why spend the money, and trouble to increase the size of the engine, when all you have to do is up the boost?

Same with the Ford 2.3l engine that was turbocharged. I've seen guys put stroker kits in these engine that didn't increase the cid much at all. Which is why I really don't understand the reasoning.

I'm particularly referring to something like a 302 cid size engine, and up.

These engines are big enough that you can still drive them on the street without turning super high rpms just to get it moving as the torque is there.

So unless your all out racing, I can't understand why [unless you just had a stroker engine laying around] you would want to increase the cid.

I personally have no problems with people doing this, and of course my 540fe is supercharged, but I would be happy to run it without the supercharger, but there is so much custom stuff done it wouldn't be worth it. [I originally was going to build a supercharged 427fe. So I bought all of the parts, and fabbed everything to work. Then I found a really good deal on a Gen block with stroker parts so that is how I ended up with a big cid supercharged engine].

This message has been edited by mtrain on May 19, 2017 5:00 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Tommy-T
(Select Login Tommy-T)
Members

Well...

May 19 2017, 5:41 PM 

...if you're going to build a boosted motor and you're upgrading the "arm" from say a nodular unit to forged, you may as well go bigger even if it's nominally bigger.

Maybe counter intuitive for some (even me), when I built my blown FE project I went with a nitrided 1U 428 crank even though I had a RPM forged 4.250 unit on the junk pile. I've never hurt a 428 crank and figured it'd work well for me, which it has. I'll use my RPM "arm" if I buy an aftermarket block...and might do some "real" drag racing.

The 2.5 crank in a Turbo 2.3 is a wonderment to me as well. It isn't a direct bolt in for an earlier 2.3 block and the fiddle'n 'round is not worth the effort especially when the bottom end of a 2.3 Ford is as strong as an anvil (just as heavy too). Been mess'n with Turbo 2.3's for a while.

Boost is addictive and the learning curve is quite steep. Blower pistons are NOT cheap. Got scrap aluminum on my junk pile.

[linked image]

This message has been edited by Tommy-T on May 19, 2017 5:44 PM

Respond to this message   
Tom P
(Login tomposthuma)
Members

Re: Well...

May 19 2017, 6:34 PM 

Turbo will make up for the missing cubes, look at John Mihovetz, 281 cubes and run's 5's when his competitors with nitrous are more than triple the cubes. And he runs a stick in a sea of slushboxes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSb1nRKIJTA

This message has been edited by tomposthuma on May 19, 2017 6:35 PM

Respond to this message   

Beoweolf
(Login beoweolf)
Members

The issue of suitabity - is not just about Horsepower...

May 20 2017, 12:29 AM 

If horsepower were the be all - end all of automotive power plants; then we could stop making diesel engines.

In the case of heavy freighters, ocean going tankers - torque, longevity are much more important than horsepower. The early engines where low vibration were more important than speed - think about the 500, 800 cubic inch engines they put in Cadillac, Rolls Royce, Packard, Duesenberg - stately transportation was the aim.

Respond to this message   

Dave Walters
(Login blueoval67)
Members

This could also be about the rod ratio

May 20 2017, 4:16 AM 

The longer rod and stroke combo may create a more favorable rod ratio making the engine a little easier on the rotating assembly allowing it to make more power without giving up durability.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index