Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Stamp on 67 390 Block

June 12 2017 at 12:02 PM
Jim  (Login fostereast)
Members

I have a stamp on a 390 block out of a 67 Mustang S-Code. The Stamp is on the small vertical pad close to the deck at the rear of the driver side. The first two characters are 7F, which I would take to mean the year '67 and "F" for the Dearborn plant where the engine was assembled. The last two characters I can't make out. Is there any rhyme or reason to these stamps?

I was under the impression that some hi-performance '67 cars have a stamp at the back of the block on the pad below the cylinder head, not the area where this stamp is.

The engine casting date is early June '67 and the car was built in San Jose in late June. The engine might have been out of the car and might not be original to the car. The heads have Certainly been off, and the oil pan has what looks like the CJ or SCJ windage tray.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Lance
(Login 428kidd)
Members

The 7F is the

June 12 2017, 12:14 PM 

assemble date or install date . It is stamped as the engine is put in the car. The other characters are probably day or night shift, a picture would help. Thanks Lance

Respond to this message   
Jim
(Login fostereast)
Members

Casting ID

June 12 2017, 12:27 PM 

The block was cast on June 3 or June 5, The stamp might be 7F7 9. Four digits with a larger space between the last two, the last two digits are guesses.

Respond to this message   
Lance
(Login 428kidd)
Members

Car must

June 12 2017, 1:24 PM 

Have been assymbeled quickly then . If it's 7 F On the pad.that would be June of 67 as well. Email me a picture of the pad by clicking my name. Thanks

Respond to this message   
Jim
(Login fostereast)
Members

Casting ID

June 12 2017, 2:09 PM 

Either that or it's not the original engine? Any idea what the other two numbers can mean? Can't get a pic now.

Respond to this message   

RodC
(Login MT63AFX)
Members

Could be an early start of stamping VIN on the block.....

June 12 2017, 2:54 PM 

.....the other numbers may be difficult to see if they're misstamped, RodC.
Mickey Thompson's 63 1/2 #997 S/S Hi-Rise 427 Lgt/Wgt Galaxie,
1957 C-600 Cab-over carhauler w/390-4V, 2-speed rear-end
FGCofA member #4908
MCGC member #75

"There will ALWAYS be an FE in my LiFE"

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
John
(Login jetstuff)
Members

Assembly date

June 12 2017, 4:16 PM 

As mentioned before, 7Fxx is the assembly date of the engine (the date the engine was assembled) 7F is June, 1967 and the last two digits are the day of the month. Usually I'm guessing that the block was assembled a week or 2 after it was cast, and could have been installed when the car was built at the end of June. I'd almost bet it's the original engine as Ford was pumping out a lot of 390's at that time ....

Most 390's in Mustangs started getting the VIN stamped in the block early in the 68 model year.... Not positive when San Jose started stamping them . I think it was mandated for all cars starting Jan. 1st 1968.

JMHO, John

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index