Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Transmission yoke question

June 12 2017 at 7:01 PM
Robby  (Login Forddude)
Members

Hi all! So if I wanted to use a shorter driveshaft can I just get a longer trans yoke? As long as it's in the trans far enough will it work? I have a jerico in a 67 fairlane. I have the longest 9"yoke I can find. It's a 6" billet piece. The driveshaft is 58.5 inches long. I'm worried about the drive shaft whip. Should go 7k thru the lights. The one I'm looking at is almost 8 inches in length. Chromoly. I think the one I have now is about 5 and a quarter. The jerico is just a shorter trans. I really don't want to buy a carbon fiber driveshaft if it's not necessary. So is the long trans yoke the way to go or will it destroy the tailshaft bushing and trans? It's a 3500 lbs 29.5x10.5-15 drag car. Looking for low 10s or high 9s solid engine mounts and urethane transmission mount. Ladder bar rear suspension. Ok any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
stan
(Login jadua)
Members

really

June 12 2017, 10:54 PM 

Brother sounds like a nice car. Personally i think your going the wrong direction if money is an issue do some searching like on ebay, racing junk etc for a good used driveshaft ill bet you can find something that will work with out mickey mousing your set -up. good luck/ Stan

Respond to this message   

DaleP
(Login Posi-67)
Members

If your Jerico has a roller bearing in the

June 12 2017, 11:27 PM 

tailshaft housing you should be using a billet yoke. Odd thing about the driveshaft "whip" is it seems like Mark Williams are the only guys who care and address what they call critical speed. I doubt you need to go to a Carbon Fiber shaft for what you are doing but I'd suggest using the good yoke you have and get a 4" steel shaft made.

One of our Forum members has a 66 Fairlane that used to run a Jerico and he likely still has a driveshaft for you. For sale or not, I don't know but he will probably respond shortly.

Respond to this message   
Robby
(Login Forddude)
Members

I have a chromoly trans

June 13 2017, 4:58 PM 

Yoke. No roller bearing in the old or new style jerico that I have. I'm using a 3.5 inch steel 1350 driveshaft now. So I'm thinking of just running it if it's not that important. Thanks all for the suggestions.

Respond to this message   

John
(Login john67427)
Members

Drive line - Robby

June 14 2017, 5:23 AM 

Robby,
For what it's worth, I run 67 Fairlane, Jerico, Strange chrome moly driveshaft/1350's with billet on all ends, 9 inch tires turning almost 8k thru the lights and if it's doing something it shouldn't, I can't tell or have had any issues....

This message has been edited by john67427 on Jun 14, 2017 6:52 AM

Respond to this message   

Anonymous
(Login gbeltran)
Members

Re: Transmission yoke question

June 14 2017, 6:53 AM 

I would think it would stress the end of the trans and/or bushing more since it's kind of like lengthening the output shaft without supporting it at the end, although in a drag race application I doubt it matters for longevity. A lot of those long yokes, like Fords of old typically come with, aren't splined all the way to the end, they had that extra length because at one time they had a seal of sorts on the output shaft and the un-splined end fit over it.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index