Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Trouble with getting old and cheaping out

June 12 2017 at 9:24 PM
Jerry  (Login fairlanergt)
Members

My wifes car is an S code 67 GTA Fastback which we acquired some years back . The car is in great shape and was sold locally to where we live and we are the third owner . The previous owner for some reason didn't fix the damaged 390 but instead put in a 302 . I bought a date coded 390 which needed a complete rebuild . OK - start of cheap - my son and I have some parts kicking around so we put together a good 428 with a set of my old well worked over 390 heads with big valves . For some dumb reason I went with a hyd cam [wifes car] and an old set of ford adj rockers [never run hyd's in my life] . Set them running with a set of open top valve covers I made years ago . Started worrying about those old rockers so bought a new set of after market ones . Put on an old set of Hooker headers that were laying around that looked good . Well the headers worked for a while and sprung a leak at the flange under a tight bend . Bought a new set of hookers and waited four weeks to get them . When they came they were both for the right side . Back they go and wait another two weeks for replacements . Of course the old headers were off my Fairlane and didn't line up with the pipes [new ones fit better] so muffler shop work . Anyway if I wouldn't have cheap'd out my wife would have been driving the car a long time ago [a lot less nagging] and you know how many hours to do the changes . My old hands will be sore for some time - FE header bolts are a young mans game .

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
youre not alone
(Login lowriser)
Members

I think maybe we shoulda stuck to our Fairlanes

June 12 2017, 11:59 PM 

my wife's 67 has been sitting and waiting a long time. just like all the other cars I have, i suppose, but time is easier to spend than it is to buy.
now I find myself on the precipice, with the 63 390 that came with a Galaxie daring me to repaint the engine compartment of her Mustang and hang the driveline
back in place. The 390 that was in the car has bathtub cast pistons and not much potential as is.
the flattops in this new engine are going to be a lot more fun.
Should end up with a zippy non adjustable 390.
kind of exciting. just a shame it took this long to get here.

Respond to this message   
Cammerfe
(Login ectarecordholder)
Members

My '34....

June 13 2017, 4:37 PM 

five-window was the easiest car I ever had to work on. Most engine stuff (flathead--'53 Merc) could be done while sitting on a front tire.

KS

Respond to this message   

Falcon67
(Login Falcon67)
Members

My wife races a 70 with a 351C

June 13 2017, 7:03 AM 

I told her it's about time she got a roadster and we sold this chassis to some other Ford person. Working on the dragster is a lazy racer-man's dream compared to wrasslin with plugs, headers and shock towers. Dragster, roadster doesn't have a hood to bang you head on either. LOLOLOL.

Respond to this message   
Tom P
(Login tomposthuma)
Members

header bolts

June 13 2017, 8:40 AM 

I used to be able to get all 14 bolts in, not sure I could anymore!

Respond to this message   

Bobby
(Login x4rdtech)
Members

Re: header bolts

June 13 2017, 9:15 AM 

Well mine have 8 but still hard to get the lower ones started.I am having the old and tied thing also.Once this car is finished and I take it to the CHRR in Oct,it will be for sale there along with the trailer,with it or trailer alone as I will never need a mobile storage trailer,which is what it is a lot now.

Respond to this message   

Mike U.
(Login mtrain)
Members

I've got two friends, and I try to tell them that sometimes cheap cost more money. For exa

June 14 2017, 3:45 PM 

For example.

A buddy wanted to build an engine for a Fox Mustang I sold his son. Son lost interest, and my buddy got the car.

Anyway, they had bought an old 351w out of the junk yard, and was going to just put it into the car.

I told him he might be better off to give it a rebuild as then would be the best time.

Well, when we pulled the engine we found two rods about to exit the side of the block.

After that, he bought used pistons without checking the bore first, that led to scratches still showing on the cylinder walls after the engine was bored.

Then instead of buying some used aluminum heads for around $800 or so, he buys a pair of rebuilt stock smog heads for $500.

After that he buys a crap junk 2bbl carb on ebay for around $15 that cost almost as much as a decent used 4bbl Holley.

I finally quit trying.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index