Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Salvaging a GT type pan is it worth it?

June 13 2017 at 9:20 AM
FERoadster  (Login FERoadster)
Members

Brought another FE home yesterday to tear down and just about got there in 2 hours. Getting better at this.
Cut the intake bolts inside the heads, cutting torch, because 4 of them stripped, 2bbl intake and C8AE heads so nothing lost. I could see the bolts so why bother with metric sockets......Broke the distributor off because the shaft would not come out. The dist. would turn but stopped when I tried to lift it. Cut the shaft & pulled the distributor housing.

Dropped the pan and notice it's got the clearance "notches" for steering linkage.
However the pan had been dropped at the scrap yard and is really dented/crushed in the rear of the sump area about 1". I can bump and reshape the sump but are these harder to come by? Pan is really nice otherwise,

BTW sheet metal tag on the Dist. hold down bolt is 390 70 F. It is from what I can see a stock mid 70's PU FE. PU bellhousing but the car oil filter adapter.
Should I bother with the oil pan? Most of the parts are going back to the scrap yard today.

Richard >>> FERoadster

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Button
(Login cliffrod)
Members

Not scrap, but not just a small car pan

June 13 2017, 9:42 AM 

I've seen and/or taken apart more than one "untouched" or "original" 66-67 FE Galaxies that had the notched GT style pan on them, including my current 67. Just assumed they used what was available to keep things moving on a normal production assembly line. Probably the same with trucks as well.

Comparing our interest in saving parts and making them work vs this modern age of "I'll just get a new one instead of fixing anything" it's up to you whether to save or scrap. I would keep it so it could probably sit indefinitely with the other such items here....
[linked image]

1967 Galaxie 500 Red original Q code 428
1967 Galaxie 500 White with Black stripes 428PI clone- car is dead & long gone, sold near Oak Ridge TN 2000, would love to find it.....
Please visit http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/ for pictures, information and video links to my work.

Respond to this message   

JoeW
(Login tnlprt)
Members

49 bucks at summit ...N/M

June 13 2017, 2:36 PM 

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index