Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

radiator questions

June 13 2017 at 3:40 PM
robert cianci  (Login rjcianci)
Members

Barrys 445 finally going in car. No direct fit alum. rad. for 65 gal except ron davis racing $800 plus. I know copper disipates heat better than alum. Was going to take my orig and have shop hear in Canada do a duplicate in alum. Read archives and Dr. Mabuse said best rad he ever had was 67 police rad copper.Most of guys here go alum. Need current thoughts on alum or copper. Alum saves weight I know. Also has any one gone witha larger tran cooler instead of going to the rad as well as cooler. Thx. Bob.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Hpgalaxie
(Login hpgalaxie)
Members

Re: radiator questions

June 13 2017, 4:22 PM 

No alum. for me. Good shop can add "rows" and change the honey comb to cool really great. I can run the desert in 100+ with my 427 Galaxie no problems. Mike
http:i305.photo

Respond to this message   

Alan Casida
(Login AlanCasida)
Members

Galaxie radiator

June 13 2017, 4:58 PM 

I have an OEM 3 row crossflow radiator from a '68 Galaxie in my '66 Galaxie. It does a great job cooling my 521(sorry not FE). I've ran it on Dragweek when it was 105 deg out with no overheating issues.

Respond to this message   

Mac
(Login 67428galaxie)
Members

Aluminum radiator

June 13 2017, 5:01 PM 

I installed a Griffin aluminum radiator years ago
in my 67 Galaxie, never had an overheating issue since.

This was a direct bolt in, even the stock shroud bolted
up without modification.

Mac

http://www.supermotors.net/registry/1200

Respond to this message   
Wreckless Warren
(Login stroked390)
Members

U S Radiator (Copper/Brass)

June 13 2017, 10:05 PM 

http://www.usradiator.com/ford-galaxie-1965-66-v8-352-390-427-radiator.html
[linked image]

1965 Galaxie 500XL Z-Code 390/445 C-6
1965 Galaxie 500XL P-Code 390/445 4-Speed
2001 F-150 SuperCrew 5.4
2006 John Deer X320 Lawn Tractor

Respond to this message   

Falcon67
(Login Falcon67)
Members

Aluminum

June 14 2017, 7:02 AM 

Falcon uses a 31x19 generic, Mustang uses a 27x19 generic, both from Summit Racing. Dual 1" cores. No problems with aluminum, the one in the Falcon is going on 18 years in use, the Mustang about 10. The big one in the Falcon has no problem keeping 500+HP in check. I run my door cars "hot", that is 180F or better. Including racing. Aluminum seems to like a hotter working fluid. An engineer with Griffin told me point blank "hot water = cool motor". My street/strip 500 HP 351C ran on the road at 195F. That also makes for nice clean oil and very low wear. The only car around here that runs "cold" is the dragster, and that by necessity.

My experience with copper is that you need more cores and a closer fin count - then you need a hella fan to try and move air through it. And the more cores you add, the less effective each additional core becomes. The large cores in the aluminum units have a lot more surface area. The fin count is reduced so more air can pass through easier. You'll note that you'll not find any copper radiators in cars anymore, including those 700+ HP Hellcats.

The big 31x19 radiator just happens to like Camaro LT1 style fans and it makes for a nice assembly that can be removed as a unit. Remove to retainer clamps, remove the hoses, unplug the connector and it lifts right out of the car.

[linked image]

[linked image]

Respond to this message   

Dr Mabuse
(Login FE4RD)
Members

Yes - aluminum is more better

June 15 2017, 3:32 PM 

An old timer friend of mine who has owned a radiator repair business for many years preferred copper/brass - can't remember why he said he did

I still have the OEM Ford C7AZ-8005-G (Police) radiator that worked best with 428 in my '66 XL -- it is actually a 2 3/8" thick core, and the fins are so close together that it looks like a forklift radiator

2003-2011 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor's, Grand Marquis, and Town Car all use the same part number aluminum radiators, and they will idle all day long, in 100F desert heat
[linked image]

Respond to this message   
winr1
(Login winr1)
Members

.. any purchase an aluminum rad to fit an F 100 ?? .. N/M

June 15 2017, 3:49 PM 

Ricky.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index