Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Do you guys have "buddy's" like this. Guy wants me to build a 427FE for a project of his..

June 14 2017 at 3:51 PM

Mike U.  (Login mtrain)
Members

Run Forest RUN!!!

I try to tell the guy if he wants a 427 then why not just buy an Bear aftermarket block for around $3k, and be done with it.

Nope, he spends $2500 on an old side oiler that has been bored .050. Might make a good Japanese lantern, but I wouldn't want to actually try to run the thing.

Then instead of just buying an affordable stroker kit, he is trying to buy cheap FE parts for a Frankenstein build.

There is no way in Hell I would touch building this motor as I would get all of the blame when it explodes, spectacularly, on startup.

I try to explain to him that there are times when you can be cheap with buying some parts, and on other parts it pays to just save up, and buy good parts.

Any of you guys have any "friends" like this.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Bob
(Login machoneman)
Members

You sure he's not a Chevy guy?????

June 14 2017, 4:24 PM 

Bwahahaha!

Respond to this message   
Dan
(Login 32bantam)
Members

Yep all of em', I need better friends. lol

June 14 2017, 5:05 PM 

Sad thing is the guys with money are worse than the poor cats most of the time. A guy I worked for years ago just got off the phone whining about buying everything twice on his new VW engine...like it's my fault he buys junk parts off EBay. I haven't charged the guy a dime, kinda feel bad his kid won't help him so I do when I can but it gets old quick. $5.60 cut off jet was like asking for blood and gold bars from Mr. Gated community.

Then I got my pal with the Copo who him and the owner were too cheap for upholstery glue. I'll be installing the third headliner because they screwed up two already. $125,000 project car but bitching about materials for me to fix the interior.

It's different when you're bandaiding the old stead to get to work with your last nickel. That I know all about but buying junk and fighting with it to make it work on decent budget is retarded.

Respond to this message   

Mike U.
(Login mtrain)
Members

That is a good example Dan. If my buddy had listened to me he would have just built a

June 15 2017, 3:19 PM 

His car is a junked out Fairlane with lots of missing parts.

He wants to build a lightweight 427 clone.

My advice to him to have a cheap, but well running engine was to use a 390FE engine [as it will pretty much look the same as a 427fe to most people].

Buy a entry level stroker kit, some out of the box Edelbrock heads, Edelbrock intake, a good used roller hyd cam, and new lifters.

Then buy a new Quick Fuel 750 carb, mated to a BB Toploader [he has two of those].

Try to find a used steel bell, with a decent clutch/pp, and have fun.

A decent running, well built 390fe will beat a 427fe with a slung rod/cracked cylinder, every time.

Respond to this message   

Mike U.
(Login mtrain)
Members

I know it does sound a lot liike a chebby guy, just one payment away from loosing his

June 14 2017, 5:57 PM 

Seems like chebbys guys are always one payment away from loosing their mobile homes.

700hp junkyard ls engines for $100 everywhere.......lol.

No, this guy is a true Ford blue fan. However, he just has way too many cars, and if he would sell a few he would have enough money to build a 427SOHC.

Respond to this message   
Tom P
(Login tomposthuma)
Members

Re: I know it does sound a lot liike a chebby guy, just one payment away from loosing his

June 14 2017, 9:32 PM 

" No, this guy is a true Ford blue fan. However, he just has way too many cars, and if he would sell a few he would have enough money to build a 427SOHC. "

This guy isn't me is it? happy.gif

Respond to this message   

Mike U.
(Login mtrain)
Members

I don't know Tom do you have four real Mustang Shelby's?

June 15 2017, 3:25 PM 

See, that is my point.

He could sell three Shelby's, they are rough, but should bring him well over $100k.

He could use that money to build the forth Shelby to be a really nice car, OR, sell all of the Shelby's as is, and build the Fairlane into a really nice resto mod, or period correct rod with a real beast of a cammer 427 spare no expense kind of car.

But no, he will piss around buying more junk, nothing will ever be finished, and when he dies his wife/kids will have a garage sale.

Respond to this message   
Gary B
(Login Garyford)
Members

Sounds bad, but

June 15 2017, 4:22 PM 

until I have accumulated four (rough) Shelby's, I will observe that there might be a method to his madness.

Respond to this message   

Mike U.
(Login mtrain)
Members

The guy was lucky as he bought them all back in the 70's for less than 1k each.....

June 16 2017, 2:39 PM 

If we only had a crystal ball...........

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index