Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

O/T..rejuvenating drag slicks?

June 15 2017 at 6:43 AM
jim carlson  (Login jbcarlson)
Members

I've been racing for about 25 years. Typically I go to 5 or so races per year with between 3 to 6 passes per race. I get really good life out of my 9 inch slicks on the Fairlane. I would say around 5 seasons. My latest slicks are from Hoosier and I purchased them 2 years ago. There is plenty of tire left as the holes are very deep. Normally I use Mickey Thompson, and the previous set to the Hoosier were Firestone (now Phoenix?). I've never had a problem with traction. Usually just purchase new slicks when the holes are disappearing.
Now I'm having all kinds of traction issues. It started last year and is getting worse. I had a buddy watch my burnout Tuesday and there is no smoke. The slicks aren't even sticky when I get back after a pass. My normal burnouts are not excessive, so I know I haven't burned them up.
Are Hoosiers prone to this? Can I use a compound to get back my traction? I've heard of guys doing this. What is used that works? I'm looking for a shortcut since time is short as I have a race June 24/25.
Jim

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Bill
(Login billjane)
Members

Forumla V

June 15 2017, 7:44 AM 

formula V we used a lot back in the day.
Don't know if it is still around.
Couple coats with a roller day before race day.
Ran the Hoosier's with 22lbs 1.55 60 ft 3920 Fairlane
Good luck

Bill

Respond to this message   
Dennis
(Login 65pony)
Members

Sticky Situation Help

June 15 2017, 8:37 AM 

Go to Jeg's and do a search for Tire Traction Compounds. Comes up with Formula V as well as PJ1 and RCI products. Can be shipped in time for your race. I have used the Formula V several years ago and it livened up a set of tires that got hard with age. Good stuff.

Respond to this message   

Dave Walters
(Login blueoval67)
Members

They might be too far heat cycled.

June 15 2017, 9:01 AM 

Every time a drag slick is heated up through burnout it's heat cycled. Sometimes you need to heat them up on the next burnout hotter than the last to break that heat cycle and to get good traction. A lot also depends on the compound of the tire. This can affect how you have to heat cycle then as well. Of course this is JMO from my experiences.

Respond to this message   

Kbmax
(Login kbmax)
Members

Re: They might be too far heat cycled.

June 15 2017, 10:25 AM 

Switch sides, do a good burnout, jack up rear, use VHT or what ever you prefer (spray bottle works best in my opinion) and coat tires while still warm. Let set over night. Go out and kick some A** at the race's the next day.

Respond to this message   

TorinoBP88
(Login TorinoBP88)
Members

I have heard they have a two year shelf life... Modern rubber may not be what it was n/m

June 15 2017, 1:14 PM 

m

Respond to this message   

Falcon67
(Login Falcon67)
Members

Two years not bad

June 15 2017, 2:49 PM 

If you get 3 years partial use out of a set, that's real, real good. I just tossed a set of Pro Stock slicks off the back of the dragster - Goodyear Eagles, $360 a pop at Summit. Sitting 4 years from the previous owner, didn't even try them. Sidewalls cracked, etc. I have recently switched from Mickey to Hoosier and I really like the tires, no problems. I get a better 60' in the door cars out of a 275-60x15 Hooiser drag radial than a 28" 3055 MT Drag. The dragster is running one year old used 31 x 15.5W Hoosers I bought from a friend and it sticks every pass.

I never got more than 2 years, maybe 200 passes out of a set of Mickeys.

Sometimes a good hard burnout will "wake up" a pair of older slicks. You can try the PJ-1 (VHT) as suggested above after a good heat. Other than that, they are scrap. DO NOT think about bringing anything like "pimp juice" to the line with you, many tracks will throw you out.

Respond to this message   
Doug
(Login babybolt)
Members

Re: Two years not bad

June 15 2017, 4:09 PM 

Store them in plastic bags. Double bag them if possible. Cool area like your basement. I kinda think nitrogen as inflation medium helps too.

Respond to this message   

Falcon67
(Login Falcon67)
Members

I ain't digging that big a hole

June 16 2017, 7:03 AM 

We don't do basements in these parts LOL. I don't do anything over winter except park the cars indoors. I pull the slicks off the dragster and stack them on a furniture dolly, only because that allows the car to roll up against the back wall of the shop.

Respond to this message   
jim carlson
(Login jbcarlson)
Members

Thanks everyone, I've decided to try PJ1...

June 16 2017, 2:03 PM 

Hopefully get the stuff on Monday and follow directions that evening. Just in time for Tuesday's Test and Tune. If all goes well, I'll be okay for the 24th.
FYI, this is the first time I've had this problem in 25 years. So it's not like I'm a newbie. I got to check the dates on the tires as maybe I got a pair that were sitting on the shelf for a few years before I got them. Otherwise, it's bad luck.

Respond to this message   

Tim
(Login 10w30dna)
Members

Depends on how serious you are

June 16 2017, 4:18 PM 

Class racers put new tires at an alarming rate and sell off the "old" slicks to us bracket racers. A tenth means nothing to a bracket guy,as long as same tenth wink.gif teenagers buy the old bracket tires to impress at the local drive in.......
Engines are like garages,never big enough! Check out my distributor restoration sites! New http://428cobrajetcars.com

Respond to this message   

DaleP
(Login Posi-67)
Members

Please post your results

June 16 2017, 10:17 PM 

The tire company's don't like anything on their tires and I really doubt you'll see anything gained here but I know what you're going through. I tried the VHT treatment years ago and my tires were sticky as I'd ever seen them. One burnout and that was gone and the car spun as usual. It's a bandaid fix that won't save a dead tire.

The Goodyear's I run always seem soft while the M/T's are hard and barely pick up anything on the way back from a run. They both will hook on a good track prep but the M/T's are more forgiving on a poor start line. It's entirely possible the track is the problem and not the tire.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index