Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

C7me-a 428 block I'd help.

June 16 2017 at 4:59 PM
Jack Tindle   (Login JacksFordParts)
Members

I'm looking at a 428 engine that has a date of 7L8 dare code on the C7ME-A block. Heavy webbing and a C scratch. 4.15 so it's .020 over. Any thoughts on what this could have came in. Merc? Shelby?

This message has been edited by JacksFordParts on Jun 16, 2017 5:04 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Button
(Login cliffrod)
Members

Mine with an F date code came from a Ford Wagom

June 16 2017, 5:27 PM 

Bought it for my old white car to build as a 428 PI- C7ME-A that was a complete shortblock supposedly just pulled from a 67 Q code station wagon per my request for a late 67 model year date block to build. It was triple webbed, 4.13 std bore with crank and small bolt rods. Came from Roger(iirc) from Uncle Walt's Ford parts in Christiansburg, VA and they were always straight shooters when we dealt with them. This was back in the 80's.

Met him in Charlotte to pick it up. I stood on top of a Boss 429 that was next to it in the back of his truck while looking it over before I took it... very cool.

My current early 67 Q code Galaxie, ordered in Aug 66 per marti report with date codes all consistent, has a plain 2 web C6ME-A block, which appears to be original. So not sure if the wagon detail had anything to do with having triple webs, if it was just one of those things that happens to keep the line moving, tendency of later C7ME-A to be triple webbed in general, special ordered or ??
1967 Galaxie 500 Red original Q code 428
1967 Galaxie 500 White with Black stripes 428PI clone- car is dead & long gone, sold near Oak Ridge TN 2000, would love to find it.....
Please visit http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/ for pictures, information and video links to my work.

Respond to this message   
Jeff H.
(Login Froman87)
Members

C scratch 428 blocks

June 16 2017, 6:29 PM 

first showed up in the summer of 1967 near the beginning of the '68 model year. For a while both A scratch and C scratch blocks were used in '68 full size Q and P code cars but it seems that they were all C scratch blocks during the last couple of months of '68 CY. A very large percentage of the '68 full size Ford/Mercs with the std 428 (or 428PI) had C scratch blocks. The only reason that I know this is that I have been following several posts on this subject by Kerry Wortman over on the 428CJ website. He has a spreadsheet of 428 block info which documents date code, bulkhead scratch mark and main reinforcement style (i.e. 2 web or 3 web) for a very large number of blocks. Using this data he was able to develop the time frame shown below. This screenshot is from the block id page of the 428CJ website. http://www.428cobrajet.com/id-block).

Capture

This message has been edited by Froman87 on Jun 16, 2017 7:51 PM

Respond to this message   

Kevin Rolph
(Login thatdarncat)
Members

Check for partial VIN

June 16 2017, 5:27 PM 

With that date code it would have been in a 1968 model year vehicle, check for a partial VIN number stamped on the pad on the back of the block. It can be very faint sometimes, even filled in with paint.

Respond to this message   
Jeff H.
(Login Froman87)
Members

Ford did not start stamping partial VINs...

June 16 2017, 6:46 PM 

on engine assemblies until Jan 1st, 1968. A block cast in early November '67 would most likely have been way too early to have a partial VIN stamping.

Respond to this message   
Lance
(Login 428kidd)
Members

Some did have partial vuns

June 16 2017, 7:01 PM 

Before it was mandatory. I had some 7m C8AE J heads that had a vin. I have also seen partials in some other later 67 stuff. Not to mention Hipo stuff 65 and up.

Respond to this message   
Jeff H.
(Login Froman87)
Members

Most December '67 cast blocks...

June 16 2017, 7:13 PM 

(or head in your case) will have a partial VIN stamp. The parts were cast 3-4 weeks before the engine was installed into the car which is when it was stamped. I have had 4 FE blocks cast in Dec of '67. The only one that was not stamped had a casting date of Dec 4th the other three were cast later in the month and they had partial VIN stamps.

Respond to this message   
Jack Tindle
(Login JacksFordParts)
Members

Thanks guys. Always such a vast wealth of knowledge here. N/M

June 16 2017, 7:38 PM 

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index