Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

390 Test and Tune...

June 18 2017 at 12:58 PM

DaleP  (Login Posi-67)
Members

Made 4 runs yesterday to break in some new tires, clutch and get some laps since I've only made 3 this year prior. Car was pretty good and the driver average but at least the numbers were consistent. Went a 10.13, 10.17, 10.14 and 10.16 all at 131+ MPH.

I was trying to improve on my 60' times but they are stuck in the 1.41-1.42 range. If I wasn't so lazy I would have made some suspension adjustments but all I did was move the launch RPM up and down a little. I solved a carb/fuel problem I had the first time out and the motor seems happy so I guess that should be considered a good day at the track.

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
eric
(Login wwyin62)
Members

that's a great pic.

June 18 2017, 1:12 PM 

I see Bob Fedyk took it. how is Bill Friend doing? I loved Bob's video of Bill.

Respond to this message   
Stangman
(Login 4828Stangman)
Members

Test and tune

June 18 2017, 1:35 PM 

Very consistent , going by all your wheels up photos what were you going to adjust suspension wise. What kind of tires were you breaking in.

Respond to this message   

J&JG
(Login 2bolts)
Members

Congrats again!

June 18 2017, 2:59 PM 

That is one quick 390! You must be taking driving lessons as well?

Respond to this message   
Tom P
(Login tomposthuma)
Members

Bill...

June 18 2017, 3:12 PM 

Nice pic, good to hear it runs well.
I saw Bull Friend at the Super Shifter race two weeks ago and he was doing well and the car runs great.

Guy is an inspiration. Mid 9 second stick car that he drives to the track. To get to Mission and back it is about 150 road miles plus another two sea voyages that take a couple hundred bucks and 4 hours. Changes the rear tires and drops the exhaust at the track. Kind of like a mix of Bob Glidden and George Burns.

Respond to this message   
ArnieO
(Login ArnieO)
Members

Nice picture

June 18 2017, 4:16 PM 

Of a nice and quick car , very impressive . I'm sure I won't be turning that quick , but it does make me want to get my Cougar done . Thanks for the inspiration ...ArnieO

Respond to this message   
Dick Monaco
(Login dragsterdick)
Members

How big is the 390?

June 18 2017, 6:14 PM 

Tell me about the motor and what the car weighs? Nice passes!!

Respond to this message   

XR7
(Login XR7)
Members

damn fast 390

June 18 2017, 7:55 PM 

great runs for sure. Your 390 would kick my 428's ass.
68 Cougar XR7 street and strip car, 487/427, 4-speed Jerico, 10.5W, 3560# race weight, best 9.72@139.99 1.34 60 ft

Respond to this message   

doug smith
(Login cjshaker)
Members

Sounds like a good day to me...

June 18 2017, 9:50 PM 

Fast, consistent, and you got to take everything home in one piece. Congrats on a good day.
I'd guess you have to have one of the fastest 390's anywhere. I'm curious what your car weighs?

Respond to this message   

DaleP
(Login Posi-67)
Members

It's a BIG 390 at 398 CI...

June 18 2017, 11:01 PM 

Stock crank with a .040 overbore. Car weight is 3220# including me. New tires are a M/T 28x10.5W which replaced the M/T 28x11.5's. So far, haven't seen anything other than consistency. I'll move the CalTrac bars and put my Goodyears back on for the next outing. They are taller so MPH should go up but the air conditions will likely be worse and it may be a wash.

Wheelie's are a random occurrence that seemed to have disappeared lately. Normally, a 1.42 60' would mean some decent air under the fronts but it now just drives away.

BTW.. that photo is a couple years old but I thought it was a cool shot with a bit of photo editing for effect.

Respond to this message   

6667fan
(Login 6667fan)
Members

love that shot

June 19 2017, 4:54 AM 

sky and ground up angle is a home run. Of course, Bob does such bad work it is no wonder you had to edit it,lol.
Every second counts

Respond to this message   

DaleP
(Login Posi-67)
Members

Bob did the special effects.

June 19 2017, 9:45 AM 

He's come a long way in regards to equipment and computer software the past few years but both him and his daughter (Shelby) do a great job that's appreciated by all the racers. Do a YouTube or Facebook search for Reaction Time Media.

Respond to this message   
Russ
(Login Russ67scode)
Members

tires 11.5 under a 67

June 20 2017, 3:20 PM 

Do you have any pictures under the rear of your mustang I really need to get a bigger set of tires under mine
Thanks Russ

Respond to this message   

DaleP
(Login Posi-67)
Members

It's a tire/rim combo deal

June 20 2017, 8:53 PM 

The M/T 28x11.5 were on a 10" wheel with a 5" backspace. They would look and fit better with a 5.5" backspace but may touch the springs. I can't get that backspace with my wheels so can't say although a small wheel spacer would be a fix.

The Goodyears are 29x11 but they have a smaller section width and on a 11" wheel with 6" backspace they fit under the car with slight rubbing of the springs and front of wheel housing. Pictures when Photobucket decides to unravel itself.

Respond to this message   

DaleP
(Login Posi-67)
Members

Pictures for Russ..

June 22 2017, 9:12 AM 

Sorry for the delay. First picture is the M/T's and the 2nd is of the Goodyears and the extra backspacing pulls them under the car better. Nothing on the car has been moved or modified btw.

[linked image]

[linked image]

Respond to this message   

Blair Patrick
(Login CaptCobrajet)
Members

Very nice.....some good air and you'll see 9's.......n/m.

June 19 2017, 5:28 AM 

Blair Patrick

Respond to this message   

DaleP
(Login Posi-67)
Members

Air was pretty good Blair..

June 19 2017, 9:56 AM 

I don't have a weather station but it's usually good here early in the day but that goes away quickly by noon. At 7 AM a report said it was -448' but my first pass wasn't until 11.45.

Car will go 10.0 something if I can get the 60' times down but I doubt it will see a 9 unless I free up some more HP. Still running a fan, alternator and water pump and no pan evac so HP is given up for the "stock" look.

[linked image]

Respond to this message   

Abominable Snowman
(Login ScotiaFE)
Members

390 eh

June 19 2017, 7:03 AM 

lol

[linked image]
1968 Mustang Fastback 482 Jerico 4 Speed
1967 Fairlane 428, Jerico 4 Speed

Respond to this message   

DaleP
(Login Posi-67)
Members

Photo from Saturday...

June 19 2017, 10:14 AM 

Thanks again to Robert Fedyk. Someone needs to figure out how to add sound to a picture. 6000 RPM in the water box has to sound cool.

[linked image]

Respond to this message   

6667fan
(Login 6667fan)
Members

Well, that's another rockin' pic. N/M

June 19 2017, 6:50 PM 

Every second counts

Respond to this message   

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index