Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

O/T: Garage tools revisited, plasma cutter

June 18 2017 at 6:39 PM
Jim  (Login FormerlyCyclonic66)
Members

I was looking for feedback last week on the Eastwood Versa-cut 60. Didn't get any, but thought I would post my experience for others.

I wired a dedicated 6-50 outlet (found a screaming deal on 60ft of 3 wire 6 gauge on Amazon) and plumbed a lined to my air compressor. Grabbed a piece of 5/8" cold rolled bar that came with a trailer hitch kit and burned through the 2" width like soft butter in a single pass. I see this unit easily handling the 7/8 thickness it's rated for.

I'll let you know what I really think after the twin I-beam is cut out of my 1970 F100.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
winr1
(Login winr1)
Members

Interested in what you think.. also, interested in what your doing to ...

June 18 2017, 7:28 PM 

... your 1970 F100

Ricky.

Respond to this message   
Jim
(Login FormerlyCyclonic66)
Members

Crown Vic front end

June 18 2017, 7:58 PM 

I'm installing the front crossmember and complete front suspension out of a 2007 Crown Vic. For those that don't know, it's a very popular conversion. When Ford redesigned the Crown Vic for the last time, they designed the complete front end to bolt in - very much like a Mustang II front end. The crossmember is cast aluminum and houses the springs, shocks, A-arms, steering rack, sway bar...and it bolts in.

The dent side trucks (67-72), happen to share the frame width dimensions with that series of Crown Vic /Grand Marquis/ Town Car. There are hundreds of examples of guys who have done this conversion and now an aftermarket of sorts has developed to modify the crossmember for a ton of other vehicles too.

It lowers the truck (not why I'm doing it) and provides a cheap upgrade to large power disk brakes, power steering, and much improved handling for a 2WD truck. I had a local yard pull it and drop it in the bed of my truck for $300.

Respond to this message   
Chris McAlpine
(Login chris401)
Members

65-66 Also

June 19 2017, 5:56 AM 

I am not doing it but it is a popular swap on the slick60s forum.

Respond to this message   
winr1
(Login winr1)
Members

Thanks Jim and Chris :-) .... N/M

June 19 2017, 11:10 AM 

Ricky.

Respond to this message   

Master Cobbler
(Login FE4RD)
Members

Short Wheelbase F Series

June 22 2017, 8:14 AM 

The short wheelbase F-100's are very close to the Panther chassis wheelbase - it is a relatively easy job to (more or less) bolt an F-100 cab and 6' box to the Crown Vic/Grand Marquis/Town Car full frame
[linked image]

Respond to this message   
Tom P
(Login tomposthuma)
Members

Re: Short Wheelbase F Series

June 22 2017, 5:00 PM 

They did that on the Hot Rod Garage YouTube channel. I think it's a cleaner swap just using the crossmember and supposedly narrowing the track width on those isn't that hard. The way they come is way too wide.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index