Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Brake Problems

June 19 2017 at 7:02 AM

John  (Login johnsf)
Members

I have been spending time getting motor redone (64 galaxie 390)and now that's finished I find that the brake petal goes down to the floor.The car has been sitting for awhile so now I have to search for the problem. I will start at the wheel cylinders and then check for leaks in the lines. I guess I'm asking what the problem might be to save me from looking everywhere, how can I save time where should I start.
The car has non-power brakes and I see no leaks that are visable without putting on up in the air.It does have fluid in the master cylinder.
Thank's for any help,
J.
1956 Ford F-100 460/C6
1964 Galaxie 500/390

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
eric
(Login wwyin62)
Members

anything that sits awhile

June 19 2017, 7:48 AM 

of mine automatically gets a new master & wheel cyl. all around. the stuff is cheap & mucho important.

Respond to this message   

john vermeersch
(Select Login johnvermeersch501)
Members

The first place to check is

June 19 2017, 9:08 AM 

the rear seal of the master,leaking down the firewall inside the car

Respond to this message   

Bill
(Login Ranch)
Members

X2 with the Master & Wheel cylinders

June 19 2017, 5:39 PM 

Break lines with that Copper Nickel material bends and flares easily. Might as well start out nice and clean. Good time to change to a duel MC if you don't have one now.

Now should we use Dot 3 or a silicone??

This message has been edited by Ranch on Jun 19, 2017 5:45 PM

Respond to this message   
Brian
(Login BrianJaspercoia)
Members

DOT 4

June 20 2017, 3:00 PM 

When I went to the Brakes hands on for Ford a while back they said DOT 4 is compatible with DOT 3, but don't add DOT 3 to a DOT 4. My Torino has DOT 4 in the brakes and clutch. IIRC the boil point of 4 is a little higher than 3.

Respond to this message   

Don
(Login vtdon)
Members

my experience

June 20 2017, 9:50 AM 

I've been thru this enough times to have abandoned piece meal repairs. On my collector cars and daily drivers have replaced all hard lines with Classic Tube stainless lines. All new master cylinder and wheel cylinders are disassembled, inspected, deburred, painted with Polane, and reassembled with all surfaces coated with silicon PTFE assembly grease. Master cylinders are rebuilt by Booster Dewey. Front calipers are disassembled, ceramic coated (same as headers) then meticulously reassembled with silicon grease. Pay special attention to correct, premium, ceramic grease on guide pins. Use new, Raybestos rubber hoses. Finally flush and refill with DOT 5. I have had cars parked for 15 years that have perfect brakes. My '68 GT500 and wife's new BMW have received the same attention and work flawlessly. I never want to own a car with questionable brakes.

Respond to this message   
Matt Bourgeois
(Login mattbourgeois)
Members

agree

June 20 2017, 6:35 PM 

I have used Dot 5 as well for years in all my collector cars. Some have sat for years and the brakes work perfectly.

Respond to this message   

Contrarian
(Login FE4RD)
Members

Say NO to DOT 5

June 22 2017, 8:05 AM 

With a complete system rebuild, DOT may be OK, but never use DOT 5, otherwise. Since it doesn't mix with water, any water in the system may corrode parts.
[linked image]

Respond to this message   

Master Cobbler
(Login FE4RD)
Members

Flared Stainless brake lines?

June 22 2017, 8:08 AM 

I read that stainless brake lines do not need to be double flared - do you single flare yours?
[linked image]

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index