Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

o/t but Ford

August 7 2017 at 8:39 PM

Tom J.  (Login Ranchero)
Members

I am about to pull the trigger on a 2014 F150 Super Crew XLT with the 3.5l Ecoboost. It is a FX2 with 80k miles on it. Anything bad about these trucks. I am buying it from the local Ford dealer. It has the tow package with built in Brake controller. What is the super tow package and how will I know if it has it. I am getting it to tow my 3000 lb travel trailer that proved too much for my 2013 Ecoboost Escape. I know it will easily tow the trailer but am interested in general reliability. The dealer is asking 26K which seems a lot for a 2014 but the dealer said this vehicle was 50K+ new.
1968 Ranchero 390. 060 over,10.5:1, Comp 292H Cam, Performer RPM intake, Hooker headers, 4spd. 3.89 dif. ProForm 750 DP, Mallory Unilite distributor, Holley Annihilator cd ignition system, centerforce df clutch.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Rich
(Login truckpoor)
Members

I no nothing

August 7 2017, 8:49 PM 

Although I talked to an owner that pulled 7,000 Lbs. with his and was very happy with it. How well it will hold up is anybody's guess. To new and to much crap on these trucks that is mandated by paper pushers that don't know jack.

Respond to this message   
Lou Manglass
(Login LouManglass)
Members

How much boost has it seen?

August 8 2017, 5:18 AM 

The question I'd want to have answered probably cannot be (truthfully). How much towing (or hauling) did that truck do in the first 80,000 miles? If it was run, mostly, unloaded then it should have a long life ahead of it. Turbocharged engines are pretty robust and can last a long time but the more often they are run under boost, the shorter the life expectancy.

Sorry that's not specific to your question, just thought I'd share some reflections from my almost 20 year experience at Saab.

Lou

Respond to this message   
eric
(Login wwyin62)
Members

local Ford dealer mechanic here

August 8 2017, 6:25 AM 

says they have had hardly any trouble with the turbo motors. Look at some Ford truck forums & see what's happening out there. I read somewhere that some guys are using catch cans for the pcv rather then running it thru the intake, to try and keep the intake valves clean because there is no fuel going thru the runners. I wanted a turbo Flex, but couldn't come up with one to build. I also have a 3k lb. camper I pull with a 6cyl. full size van & it has it's hands full with it, so I know where you are coming from. I wouldn't be afraid of an ecoboost.

Respond to this message   

Rich Ferguson
(Login RichFerguson)
Members

Towing with Ecoboost

August 8 2017, 8:50 AM 

Look at the door tag for the GVWR of the truck you are interested in, there are several tow packages going up to over 11000.

Most any F150 supercrew with any tow package will tow a 3000 pound travel trailer like it wasn't there.

This message has been edited by RichFerguson on Aug 10, 2017 4:05 AM

Respond to this message   
FElony
(Login FelonyFord)
Members

F150

August 8 2017, 10:45 AM 

Respond to this message   
Jim
(Login 511stang)
Members

Buy new one!

August 8 2017, 3:12 PM 

I just bought new 2017 F-150 3.5L ecoboost/10 spd auto. Gets 21mpg. You can get great deals on new trucks now, discounts over 20%. Updated 3.5L and 10 spd trans worth it.

Respond to this message   

Ra
(Login 427RComet)
Members

Re: Buy new one!

August 8 2017, 5:28 PM 

Total with Jim on this one.
2017 or newer 3.5 10spd.
8-10k off or more.
You will be surprised how good of deals you can get.

Respond to this message   

Ra
(Login 427RComet)
Members

Re: o/t but Ford

August 8 2017, 5:25 PM 

That truck could have been bought new in the 30's. Dealer is flat out lying.
The YouTube vid clueless felony posted is bogus.
I have a '11 3.5 eco in a 1966 F250 & could not be happier.
Another '66 F250 with a '15 3.5 Eco

I have towed 8500 lb so far and It does a much better job than my hopped up 7.3 diesel.
The dealer asking price is way out of line but they are excellent trucks.
I would for sure ask about maintenance records. If none avail find another.
Both the 5.0 & 3.5 engines were excellent in 2014 but having experience on both and being around them from 2011 up
I would take the 3.5 hands down.

As someone else mentioned you can do much better on the 2017's
Base price on the '18's will be less than the '17's and dealers know that.
Great time for a new 2017 with 3.5 & 10spd trans.

Max tow in 2014 has 3.73 gearing.
I have 3.15 in mine. I would feel total comfortable to tow up to 10,000 lbs.

This message has been edited by 427RComet on Aug 8, 2017 5:32 PM

Respond to this message   
FElony
(Login FelonyFord)
Members

Clueless?

August 8 2017, 6:09 PM 

So, Randy, are you now like the libs who only want to hear one opinion, as long as it's theirs? Let a buyer listen and research and make his own decision. Anyone reading the actual F150 forums will find that the negatives of the Eco outweigh the negatives of the 5.0.

And...you think you are going to build a 3000 horsepower 540 and put it into a daily pickup chassis. That's not just clueless; you've lost your mind. Lots of people giggling at you.

Get over your 3.5 butt hurt. It's overkill for the weight the OP is towing.
====

Respond to this message   
Cammerfe
(Login ectarecordholder)
Members

Double....

August 9 2017, 8:42 AM 

down, yell a bit, call names. Typical.

KS

Respond to this message   
FElony
(Login FelonyFord)
Members

Yep

August 9 2017, 10:00 AM 

I've been in the market for a new F150 for the last several months. I've been researching facts and opinions to that end, as I do mucho towing in the 5500-to-6500 lb trailer/car range. You know, the stuff I "adequately" tow now with a comparatively weak '05 5.4 Triton. I don't need to have my contribution to a fellow Ranchero owner's query deemed clueless by a skirt-wearing cheerleader from the Eco team who should know darn well I wasn't going to cave in to his first blood insult. Double Down is my middle name. It says so right on my Certificate of Origin.

Any way you cut it, when you're not under boost, you are tasking a 215ci six-banger with moving around a 3-ton vehicle. To get any semblance of acceleration in normal traffic, you find yourself leaning on the turbos, and that's when the mileage goes in the dumpster. You can't beat physics. This is opinion from actual owners, not something I made up. Plus, the 3.5 sounds like poopy compared to the 5.0.

Now, Kenny, stifle your perpetually whining trap and go work on your FE. Oh...wait.
====

Respond to this message   

R
(Login 427RComet)
Members

Re: Double....

August 9 2017, 9:57 PM 

Ken, last I heard Ricky boy did not have a FE that runs.
My guess is he never will!

My call out to rickyboy. How about you put vehicle together on your own then we have a friendly competition?

Oh, I forgot you only have a keyboard and no tools . .

Respond to this message   

Anonymous
(Login 427RComet)
Members

Re: Clueless?

August 9 2017, 9:53 PM 

now now ricky, Nowhere did I say it would in fact make 3000hp. Capable yes, huge difference.

It will make more @ idle than all your engines combined!

For someone who claims to own 50 vehicles and only one of the 50 runs and could not build a engine if his life depended on it . . . Keyboard cowboy is all you will ever be.

Initial goal of the 540/565 was 1000 RWHP for starters. Running only 20 PSI it should make 2000 HP.
It sounds like you are the butthurt one.

The Eco engines are not 215 cu in as you said but 213. Interesting thing is My Stock 213 cube 6 will make more power than anything you will ever own.

By the way ricky when is the last time you owned a FE that actually ran?

Respond to this message   
FElony
(Login FelonyFord)
Members

Oh Brother

August 9 2017, 11:52 PM 

Looks like I zapped you right between the eyes there. I don't know what happened to you to go off the deep end in the last year, but please get help. Do it for your family.

Everybody here has already figured out that I am in this hobby for the fun of chasing parts and cars instead of putting money in the bank where it earns no interest. I bought stuff from you to that end. Remember? Sure you do. At some point I'll get burned out and there will be 20,000+ parts up for sale. Put something together? Bah. Part 'em out. Spend the money on hookers and blow.

Get it yet?
====

Respond to this message   
Bill Ballinger
(Login 65billgal)
Members

The 3.5 turbocharged engine won LeMans last year in the new GT40

August 9 2017, 4:15 AM 

I have a 3.7 in our Mustang with the automatic and it runs like a raped ape. I would think the 3.5 Ecoboost is pretty tough, I don't know how well it tows but it has power everywhere, and rave reviews.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index