Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

trying not to blame the messenger...

August 8 2017 at 6:25 AM

Button  (Login cliffrod)
Members

After losing the vacuum pump on my 7.3 idi at speed 500 miles from home yesterday, I got off the highway and swung into the first car parts store. Found a rebuilt pump in stock, but needed to swap the pulley... Two parts stores with a variety of pullers, one private mechanic (7.3? yeah, I've got that puller..... huh, it doesn't fit your pulley....) and more calls before I went to the local Ford dealership. Nope, no one has one that fits either and has never seen this type of pulley before.

Eventually, a Ford Tech there named Clint (figure the odds- very cool) takes one of his pullers to the grinder and saves the day without charging me a dime. We're on the road again. Very very cool. If anyone here happens to know Clint the Ford Tech, thank him again for us.

Problem is, the dealership parts desk/waiting room has 3-4 cool poster-pics of various Fords. One was an F1 that I had to look at close before deciding it wasn't Randy's / Henry's Nephew. Another was a 65 fastback with GT lights and 15" styled steel wheels- at least the wheels were all chromed.... The biggest one was most troubling. There was a Hertz-painted Shelby GT350 with 1966 quarter windows and a 65 R front apron. Not original but not a mortal sin. Then I noticed the birds on the fender?. It said 428. A closer look and the hood scoop also had a later Mustang/Cobra 428 rectangular badge. At least it didn't have a GT350R in the rocker stripe.

Given all these details, I realize the likelihood of it being a true 66 Shelby is small. The internet and reality tv make spawn enough legends & ignorant experts. But if you go to the local Ford dealership and see such things as an R-code looking 428 1966 Hertz GT350 Shelby presented on the wall to eager but naive fans, that's not cool imho.
1967 Galaxie 500 Red original Q code 428
1967 Galaxie 500 White with Black stripes 428PI clone- car is dead & long gone, sold near Oak Ridge TN 2000, would love to find it.....
Please visit http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/ for pictures, information and video links to my work.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

BattlestarGalactic
(Login BattlestarGalactic)
Members

Typical...

August 8 2017, 7:22 AM 

as there are TONS of professional photographs out there and the guys that print calendars and posters will use whatever looks "coolest" no matter how accurate it is. Likely the person that acquired those had no clue either. Hell, I'd have no clue what I was looking at either, besides knowing they didn't come with 428 badges. Now think about the volume of soccer moms and dads that have even less knowledge then me.

You can't worry a bit about something as insignificant as a poster hanging on the wall at a dealership. Just not worth it.

LarryK
2006/2009 UMTR Points Champion

Respond to this message   
kleandan
(Login kleandan)
Members

advertising and entertainment...not historical archives.

August 9 2017, 5:44 AM 

Button, great about the pump pulley. I too drive a 7.3L IDI truck (1990) I have found quite a few things are hard to source when making some repairs. Fortunately, if maintained well, repairs are rare.

The poster falls under the category of advertising and entertainment, not historical archive.
The poster is something fun to look at while waiting. With current computer graphics and photo shop capabilities a good graphic artist can pretty much make up anything they want...You know this already.

The vast majority of people looking at the poster would not know the difference between historically correct and custom made so it makes little difference anyway.
When you see a poster like this being used as a guide or reference THEN you have a legit issue worth bringing up.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index