Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

1963 Galaxie Hardtop Interior Restoration Headliner

August 8 2017 at 7:42 AM

KevinE  (Login sixty3)
Members

Ready to start the interior of my car and looking for all the guidance and help I can get. At this point I have two friends that have and are capable of removing the glass ( both front and back) and put the headliner in. I am questioning if I should buy the interior manual for doing this restoration or if its worth the $30? It's been 8yrs since we tore this car apart, and still going through everything. I am more paranoid of not having the little things, as there are lots of fasteners, brackets, and such that I have been searching and little information on installing the headliner. I just want to make sure we do the headliner right the first time!

Still looking at options for the big chrome trim pieces as they are rusty and spotty at best. One option I am looking into is painting them with a silver/chrome appearing paint.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction,
Kevin

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Lars
(Login cdxxvii)
Members

Re: 1963 Galaxie Hardtop Interior Restoration Headliner

August 8 2017, 9:29 AM 

Make sure the bows are in the right order and have the fittings on the ends (the ones that have fittings).
Is it an XL? Most original XL's I've seen use a different "corrugated" vinyl that is hard to find.
I don't know which chrome you are talking about. You do not provide enough info.
If you have a box top maybe you are referring to the pieces where the c pillar meets the package tray?
Those are stamped steel and not a big deal to have re-chromed or find nice used.

Respond to this message   

KevinE
(Login sixty3)
Members

Yes this is a 500 XL model BoxTop

August 8 2017, 10:52 AM 

I'm not so much worried about "original" as I am fit. This is not a 100pts car show, so good looks and easy are a plus. Correct on the trim pieces, this may be worth the purchase of the book as I don't know the correct terms to explain.

Respond to this message   
John D
(Login BoltedtoFloor)
Members

I bought all......

August 8 2017, 9:56 AM 

the illustrated books I could find for my Mustang. Its was in a state of disassemble from 1989 to 2012. The re-assemble has started and my memory ain't what it used to be. For all the pictures I took of the under dash area, they never seem to show what I want to see. $30 may save a lot of aggravation.
John D -- 67 Mustang 390 4 speed

Respond to this message   
Leland
(Login lhstanford)
Members

take lotsa photos as you disassemble

August 8 2017, 1:10 PM 

I'm kinda at the same point on my sons 63 XL fastback. Replacing carpet, adding floor insulation now. Trying to find someone to R&R winshield seals. Trim clips need replacment. The doorseals are next, and window fuzzies. My son bought all the parts already but lives 100 miles away, so I'm on my own. I keep my phone camera handy.

Respond to this message   

427kevin
(Login 427kevin)
Members

Headliner

August 8 2017, 2:24 PM 

I had an aftermarket headliner installed in my old 63. The installer came to the house. He actually unwrapped the headliner and put it into the clothiers dryer (warm) for a short time to get wrinkles out. Also used a heat gun after installing. Came out great.

I had a rare NOS 62 XL headliner (different than 500) and another installer tore it while installing. It was fragile from being so old. Ended up buying a repo for that and worked out well.

Respond to this message   
Lars
(Login cdxxvii)
Members

Re: Headliner

August 9 2017, 9:54 AM 

427Kevin,
Did you end up buying the 'moon crater' repro headliner on your 62 XL?

Respond to this message   

427Kevin
(Login 427kevin)
Members

Re: 62 Headliner

August 10 2017, 1:10 PM 

Lars, I believe it was the " Mooncrater" pattern. It was a repro that I bought from AutoKrafters IIRC. I had a small piece I believe from the original XL headliner that I gave Randy (Henrys Nephew) recently. IIRC, it was like the 500 headliner Mooncrater with a secondary pattern for 62 XL. Perhaps a Star pattern. It's been awhile and I didn't look too closely, but was informed about this years ago from a 62 guru. Just trying to get some of this history into good hands for future reference. I'm not sure if h 62XL headliner is the same as he 63XL.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index