Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

O/T. Is this Ford pinion gear okay to use?

August 8 2017 at 1:52 PM
paulie  (Login Paul_Lovett)
Members

This is the pinion gear on a Ford 3.07 pinion gear. Is the gouge on this pinion gear okay for use? I'm guessing there is no contact with the ring gear at the point of damage?

If it is okay, should it be left as is or ground smooth?

Thanks,

paulie

3.07_pinion

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Randy
(Login 161854)
Members

no issue at all.....

August 8 2017, 3:12 PM 

You can grind it out or leave it there. No issue.

Respond to this message   
Tom P
(Login tomposthuma)
Members

Re: no issue at all.....

August 8 2017, 4:14 PM 

No issue except that 3.07 ratio !

Step it up to some 4.56's. happy.gif

Respond to this message   
paulie
(Login Paul_Lovett)
Members

I have 4.11's now, dork!

August 8 2017, 4:23 PM 

I guess you don't travel far in your muscle car? happy.gif

This message has been edited by Paul_Lovett on Aug 8, 2017 4:38 PM

Respond to this message   

Bobby
(Login x4rdtech)
Members

Re: I have 4.11's now, dork!

August 8 2017, 5:44 PM 

That's funny and one reason I am leaving the 3.57 ones in for now.Not going to spend money to upgrade until I decide to just race it and go to local shows.I may even try to sell it later,getting to old for this.Hearing is the main factor for that decision.

Respond to this message   
paulie
(Login Paul_Lovett)
Members

My car would likely slow down with 4.56 or 4.57 gears as I would run out of rpm.

August 8 2017, 5:52 PM 

I would top out around 117 mph with 4.56's. I am currently running 120-125 mph in the quarter. 4.22's might be optimal for my current combo, in the quarter mile.

In any case, 4.11's with 27 inch tall tires make highway driving less than fun. Everybody passing you as you are scream along at 3600 rpm and 65 mph, is not cool.

I am looking at using my 3.07's for a different engine combo anyway, so this is all moot.

3.57's must be a Nascar ratio? I hadn't heard of that one.

paulie

This message has been edited by Paul_Lovett on Aug 8, 2017 5:53 PM

Respond to this message   
paulie
(Login Paul_Lovett)
Members

Thank you.

August 8 2017, 5:42 PM 

That's what I was thinking, but I wasn't sure.

paulie

Respond to this message   

Ross
(Login Bad427stang)
Members

If not touching, no issue

August 9 2017, 4:37 AM 

However, passing a file across that edge would be faster than posting a picture if you wanted to knock the edge down happy.gif
[linked image]
---------------------------------
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 445 cid FE, headers, RPM intake, 1000 HP series Holley, 4 speed

Respond to this message   
paulie
(Login Paul_Lovett)
Members

That's the question I am asking.

August 9 2017, 4:57 AM 

I am guessing there is no contact at that point. I was wondering if someone knew. I was trying to get the question answered without assembling the ring and pinion in a third member. I would be happy to run a file across it, but I don't know if that will fix it if there is contact there.

paulie

Respond to this message   
Randy
(Login 161854)
Members

Not a file,

August 9 2017, 11:14 AM 

use a stone or a sandpaper roll on a die grinder. "I" would leave it alone.

Respond to this message   

Ross
(Login Bad427stang)
Members

I was only teasing you

August 9 2017, 5:37 PM 

but, in the end, small low spots don't hurt, they hold oil if anything, high spots either wear in (if minor) or cause damage. I agree that it looks like no issue, which is why I was teasing, but if I was to even think twice, I'd make a pass over the high spots to prevent binding and galling and I'd press on

A file, a stone, sand paper with something to back it so it doesn't sand the whole tooth, whatever feels good in YOUR hand, in the end you take off the high spots and try to make it look and feel like you weren't there. I have some nice small files that will allow me to be pretty creative and shape what I need it to, but tool of choice won't matter too much as long as you can control it.

Hell, I have had to make teeth on gears with a welder and angle grinder, wouldn't do it on a high speed machine, but on oddball stuff that has to pay the bills tonight, you sometimes gets forced into a solution.
[linked image]
---------------------------------
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 445 cid FE, headers, RPM intake, 1000 HP series Holley, 4 speed

This message has been edited by Bad427stang on Aug 9, 2017 6:08 PM

Respond to this message   
paulie
(Login Paul_Lovett)
Members

I thought you might be making a Photobucket joke.

August 9 2017, 6:18 PM 

I could install an engine faster than I could upload a dozen pic's from Photobucket.

Thanks for confirmation on the pinion gear. It's a polished gear and it looks like it was polished after the chunk was taken out. I assume it was used as it is with no problems. It's just that I didn't notice it when I bought it. I noticed it a year later and went "hmmm". I'll likely smooth it out just 'cause I'm OCD about some things.

thanks again,

paulie

Respond to this message   

Falcon67
(Login Falcon67)
Members

I would not use a file

August 9 2017, 7:05 AM 

I would use a stick and maybe 400 grit+WD-40, or one of my small whet stones. File is a bit too ruff IMHO.

Respond to this message   

Andy
(Login 66FAIRLANE)
Members

Yep, I would stone any burrs and run it.

August 9 2017, 8:58 PM 

nm
IMG_3140

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index