Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Oval air filter...

August 8 2017 at 4:30 PM
Tom P  (Login tomposthuma)
Members

I finally got my oval air filters and good thing I bought two. I may need to stack them. These look real short, they are indeed 1 3/4" tall like Baldwin says but that's kind of silly looking on the big car with lots of hood clearance. I would question if they even clear the choke plates with a stock base. I made my own taller base.

Is the only other option selling a kidney to buy a repro 427 one?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Travis
(Login country63sedan)
Members

Washable ones

August 8 2017, 4:40 PM 

I saw washable ones in more reasonable thicknesses - maybe 2, 3 and 4 inches? Can't say for sure where they were, maybe Barry. I'm still trying to find booster and jet info. Not much help here and only crickets on Ed's site. I'd start buying books, but don't know which ones to buy. Maybe tuning schmuning is the way to go. happy.gif Hope it runs and drives good. Don't forget about the burnout video. happy.gif Later, Travis

Respond to this message   

Jesse
(Login 428-8V)
Members

K&N

August 8 2017, 6:37 PM 

In the past I have purchased a 4" and 6" tall oval element from K&N. If you can get the measurements from your Baldwin and then input them on K&N's website it should bring up a part number for the different height elements. With their part number you can special order them from Summit or Jegs cheaper than from K&N directly. These are industrial applications and are not exactly the same as the Baldwin but will work just fine in your oval base and top (slightly narrower).

Respond to this message   
Jason
(Login 60sIron)
Members

Wow

August 9 2017, 6:25 AM 

I guess you aren't putting these in a T-bird. I had to angle mill my oval base just to get the short element to fit under the hood.

Respond to this message   
Mike B
(Login mbrunson427)
Members

Unfortunately

August 9 2017, 6:25 AM 

Yeah we're all kind of stuck right now. I just stuck a 3" K&N on the R-Code for right now until something pops up. If nothing comes up by fall I'm kicking around the idea of having somebody produce these. There should be a large enough market to produce 50-100 for sure. Most people seem just fine with running a purple K&N filter but I'm not that excited about it.

Respond to this message   

john vermeersch
(Select Login johnvermeersch501)
Members

contact Mikes Classic Cars he has

August 9 2017, 9:27 AM 

the correct Galaxie elements.....On the above T-bird issue, did you have the Bird intake? I have done several 62/63 Birds without an issue

Respond to this message   
wayne aldrich
(Login striptripper53)
Members

Air filters

August 9 2017, 12:32 PM 

I like the accel cool blue ones they look good on a ford.

Respond to this message   
Ben
(Login BH107)
Members

Mike's is out of atock

August 9 2017, 1:54 PM 

They sold he last of them a few months back and word is they won't do more. It took 10 years to sell the 200 they had made.

Respond to this message   
Randy Millard
(Login Henrysnephew)
Members

Tom, Dave Walters and I tried to hash out applications a couple of years ago...

August 9 2017, 5:45 PM 

The FA-48 (Baldwin equivalent) at 1.75" is readily available (as you know) and is dimensionally correct for tri-power cars and '67 Shelby GT500 (2x4bbl).
FA-46 at 2.25" is correct for '63-'64 Rcode and is the unit Mike's was reproducing.
My head scratcher is FA-47 at 2" - of which I own two new. It may well be the most rare, as I believe it to be correct for '65-'67 Rcode Galaxie only.
Don't take this info as gospel and anyone with other opinion is welcome to chime in. As to correct media color, latex dip color, or size of the mesh screen: let's not even go there.
If you can suffer through with your weeny Baldwins for a couple of months I can probably fix you up with a used FA-46 with patina that will compliment your old wagon when I return home in November.
Randy Millard (Henrysnephew)

This message has been edited by Henrysnephew on Aug 9, 2017 7:35 PM

Respond to this message   
Tom P
(Login tomposthuma)
Members

Re: Tom, Dave Walters and I tried to hash out applications a couple of years ago...

August 9 2017, 8:40 PM 

I didn't know the 6V used those thin filters, oh well then, it will be OK to leave it there.
It probably flows more than any 332 needs but might be a restriction with the 1"+ stroker crank and 3/8" overbore that may happen if it won't spin the tires.

Respond to this message   

StarlinerRon
(Login StarlinerRon)
Members

Oval a/c

August 10 2017, 6:51 PM 

The early Z-28 factory crossram air filter is the same.
Try the c**** vendors.

Ron.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index