Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Terrible OT/ Classic Car dealership in Staunton, IL goes up in flames

August 9 2017 at 4:07 AM
Bill Ballinger  (Login 65billgal)
Members

It is awful, that was a major attraction and car and parts source for the hobby in the STL, MO area. It appears according to the Fire chief ther that it is a total loss.

It was a dealership and museum, a major attraction in the area. A real shame.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
chillymerc
(Login chillymerc)
Members

Re: Terrible OT/ Classic Car dealership in Staunton, IL goes up in flames

August 9 2017, 4:20 AM 

Respond to this message   

SW
(Login Staceyanddee)
Members

Damn! No way he had enough insurance.

August 9 2017, 5:20 AM 

Most likely just enough to be legal. That is a shame.

Respond to this message   

BattlestarGalactic
(Login BattlestarGalactic)
Members

All those pole buildings...

August 9 2017, 8:12 AM 

and NO sprinkler system? Ya, pole buildings are good(cheap), but if you want to make sure your stuff is safe it needs a sprinkler system. It's a big expense, but on days like that it makes the difference.

Sad for sure.

LarryK
2006/2009 UMTR Points Champion

Respond to this message   
kleandan
(Login kleandan)
Members

Always sad when a business is damaged in this manner.

August 9 2017, 5:28 AM 

I will be honest and admit my mind immediately thought "insurance fire" when I read the story.
There are also at least ten plausible reasons popping to mind for a real, honest fire in a situation like they have.
A faulty battery/charger comes to mind.

These guys served a fun portion of the car market providing access to all the "other" cars. The cars that are not the most desirable, best optioned, super high value still find owners who enjoy the heck out of them and this place was really great for that stuff.

It will be interesting to see what comes of the damage.
Will there be a huge depletion of the cars and parts from scrapping, or will the cars and parts go on the market as-is damaged?

Respond to this message   
mikeh
(Login BADD68)
Members

fire

August 9 2017, 3:06 PM 

That is about 20 miles away from me. A lot of the cars there are on consignment, so hopefully the owners had decent insurance. Bad deal.

68 Mustang Fastback 428CJ/2x4 Tunnel Wedge
69 Boss 429
69 GT-350
70 Boss 302

Respond to this message   

Tim
(Login 10w30dna)
Members

Good wake up call ( for me)

August 9 2017, 4:59 PM 

i am just making calls to sell one of my 69 Mach I SCJ cars at a consignment deal.......I will need to double check coverage away from home before consigning. I wonder how that works for owners........?
Engines are like garages,never big enough! Check out my distributor restoration sites! New http://428cobrajetcars.com

Respond to this message   

Button
(Login cliffrod)
Members

From what I understand

August 9 2017, 5:45 PM 

The property owner needs specified coverage and quality coverage may be contingent upon the vehicle owner's participation in the policy. If he's a real dealer, it's not as treacherous as it can be but full coverage may still not be automatic. The property owner has to be specifically insured as a consignment dealer, which is different than the property owner buying vehicles to resell. High $$zoot collector cars are also much different to insure than a 1998 Ford Probe with only 200K miles...

Full documentation of actual vehicle condition and proper up-to-date appraisal, one that will satisfy the vehicle owner's insurance company and the property owner's insurance company, is wise on the owner's part. Otherwise, you'll be lucky to get anything other than an arbitrary book valuation if the bad things happen.

A close acquaintance specifically refuses to take anything into the shop to sell on consignment for exactly these reasons. It's not worth the headaches or risks, whether it's a scratch/dent/broken light or a total loss of some kind. To be smart, the property owner needs to document the vehicle as completely upon arrival as the seller does when they leave it. Lots of dead end folks, at least around here, looking for a free new paint job to help sell their "stuff"....

Ask lots of questions before bad things happen. jmho.
1967 Galaxie 500 Red original Q code 428
1967 Galaxie 500 White with Black stripes 428PI clone- car is dead & long gone, sold near Oak Ridge TN 2000, would love to find it.....
Please visit http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/ for pictures, information and video links to my work.

Respond to this message   

SW
(Login Staceyanddee)
Members

Grundy and consignment.

August 10 2017, 3:22 AM 

I have a friend here that consigned his 66 F100 at a local dealer with nothing more than a 6' chain link fence for security. Thieves cut the fence and stole his truck. Grundy paid as agreed. The truck was later found in Ga.

Stacey

Respond to this message   

BattlestarGalactic
(Login BattlestarGalactic)
Members

makes you wonder what happen...

August 10 2017, 5:39 AM 

to all those Vettes in BG, Kentucky when the floor caved in? Did the owners get a fair settlement and by who?

LarryK
2006/2009 UMTR Points Champion

Respond to this message   

SW
(Login Staceyanddee)
Members

Today's newscast.

August 10 2017, 9:26 AM 

They said about 5% of the cars were consigned. They also said he would be open tomorrow and is going to an auction over the weekend to buy more inventory. When interviewing the owner he stated that he didn't know if he had enough insurance to cover it. I would think tat after his claim, the rules of insuring will change for dealers.

Respond to this message   
Mikeh
(Login BADD68)
Members

fire

August 10 2017, 10:20 AM 

Just read the building was 50' x 510' & packed full.....
Biggest problem was it's out in the country & no fire hydrants, water had to be trucked in by 15-20 tankers from 13 departments & they kept running out of water.
90-100 fire fighters.

68 Mustang Fastback 428CJ/2x4 Tunnel Wedge
69 Boss 429
69 GT-350
70 Boss 302

Respond to this message   
Tom P
(Login tomposthuma)
Members

Re: makes you wonder what happen...

August 10 2017, 1:11 PM 

Weren't those Vettes owned by GM themselves?

Respond to this message   
Homers65
(Login farmallmta)
Members

Can't pass up an opportunity to joke about disaster

August 10 2017, 6:23 PM 

These two old guys are lounging on the beach in Miami sipping drinks with little umbrellas in the glasses. They get to talking and one old coot asks the other what he did before he retired. The guy replies that he'd owned car dealerships for decades: he owned an Packard dealership, but it burned down. Then an Edsel dealership, but it burned down. Then a Studebaker dealership but it burned down. Then a Saab dealership, but it burned down. Then a DeLorean dealership, but it burned down. Then a Yugo dealership but it burned down. Finally, an Oldsmobile dealership, but it burned down. So he decided he was old enough that this time he wouldn't rebuild with the insurance money, but retire to Florida on it. He, in turn, asks the first guy what he did before retiring. The first guy said he'd owned a factory that made ladies hats and corsets and gloves up in Atlantic City, but that just as ladies had quit wearing corsets, hats and gloves, a hurricane blew in and destroyed his factory, so he'd just taken the insurance money and retired to Florida.

The other guy nods and mulls that over, then looks sideways at the guy and says, "Hey, I gotta ask... just how do you go about starting a hurricane?"

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index