Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

trunk fininsh

August 9 2017 at 6:36 AM
robert cianci  (Login rjcianci)
Members

Gentlemen, did mid 60s fords in my case galaxie have spatter finish in trunk as well as trunk mat. Thx. Bob.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Fordman
(Login fordman)
Members

my '66 custom has it

August 9 2017, 6:57 AM 

I would think galaxies did too......John

Respond to this message   

SW
(Login Staceyanddee)
Members

My 66 Cyclone just has exterior color paint.

August 9 2017, 7:42 AM 

And not much of that. It is a drop top. If that makes a difference, I cannot say.

Respond to this message   

Steve M
(Login 66sevets)
Members

My 65 has spatter and mat. Unrestored car. N/M

August 9 2017, 7:46 AM 

Respond to this message   
Cammerfe
(Login ectarecordholder)
Members

I believe....

August 9 2017, 8:34 AM 

that's the sort of detail that depends on the assembly plant. Left-over paint was often mixed and used for such purposes.

KS

Respond to this message   
Lars
(Login cdxxvii)
Members

Trunk mats

August 9 2017, 9:51 AM 

The 1965 and 1966 full-size Ford trunk mats have different patterns.
Mike's Classic Cars is the only seller offering the correct 1966 mats.

Respond to this message   

Mac
(Login 67428galaxie)
Members

Mat and Splatter paint

August 9 2017, 10:21 AM 

My 67 Galaxie has both.

Mac

http://www.supermotors.net/registry/1200

Respond to this message   
mick clarke
(Login Mickclarke72)
Members

Trunk mat

August 9 2017, 10:27 AM 

My 65 Gal, had a burtex check pattern liner and we had to replicate the original paint, dark grey with black & white flecs.

Respond to this message   

Button
(Login cliffrod)
Members

My 67 has some

August 9 2017, 11:05 AM 

It seems like most efforts to replicate the splatter pattern are overdone. It also seems that repro "fabric" parts are usually plastic, not the ??/fabric/felt/whatever fabric.

My 67 has splatter paint on the original fabric pieces including the original spare tire cover, as well as on the trunk walls, etc.

1967 Galaxie 500 Red original Q code 428
1967 Galaxie 500 White with Black stripes 428PI clone- car is dead & long gone, sold near Oak Ridge TN 2000, would love to find it.....
Please visit http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/ for pictures, information and video links to my work.

Respond to this message   

Dale
(Login Gier-head)
Members

My 65 LTD and 66 Galaxie 500 both have spatter finish paint

August 9 2017, 1:55 PM 

I duplicated the spatter "job" on my early 1966 Galaxie 500 2dr ( Sept 30, 1965 build ) when I restored it in the mid 1990s. Had a dark blue enamel ( number B-8139-AH ) mixed for the base and then used a fizz can spatter paint ( light blue and grey dots ) over it. It's a Wimbledon White car so that trunk color works well I believe. VIN 6J66X1065xx.

My late 1965 LTD 2dr ( June 21, 1965 ) has a light grey base color in the trunk with a dark grey/blue spatter over it. It's a Vintage Burgandy car and once again, I really like the contrasting trunk color. VIN 5P67X1989xx.

This message has been edited by Gier-head on Aug 11, 2017 2:42 PM

Respond to this message   
kleandan
(Login kleandan)
Members

Some details make the difference.

August 10 2017, 8:47 AM 

What year is your car?
My 1966 7-LITRE Galaxie falls into an odd lot of possible options.
There is a line in the sand of Jan 1966 build date.
This means there were running revisions made at this time and this results in differences between 1966 Galaxies based on when and where they were assembled.
My car was made mid January and has led me down the path of what is and what "should" be many times.
Some of the revisions are there, some are not, and a few seem to be revised due to parts availability at time of assembly.

When it comes to something like trunk paint there are a few options based on what info you have.
If you know your car has not been altered you can look at what is there and replicate that regardless of what the experts say.
If your car has been altered you can search for consistencies and choose one that suites your car best.
If you are just making a nice car and don't care about perfect factory replication you can choose something that is period correct and accepted by the masses (a gray base with black and white flecks for a 66 is a good bet)

No matter what, there are so many instances of the experts saying this and that never happened only to find that it actually did happen. Keep in mind what was happening at the time. These were just cars. Cars being built to sell and last about 7 years.
The assembly line was kept running unless something went really wrong.
If they ran out of "correct" trunk slurry for a few hours they used something else until the regular mix was available again in order to keep the line running.
This means thirty cars may have a different trunk paint than the other 30,000.

My car has both the trunk mat and the spatter paint on the trunk walls.

Respond to this message   
Ed Jenkins
(Login Galaxie)
Members

That explains why my April 22 build 66 Gal Convert wire colors dont match the....

August 10 2017, 3:53 PM 

.......schematic, they are factory terminated and were within the factory loom. Just different colors than the schematic.
Ed Jenkins

Ford Galaxie Club of America member #3350
1966 Galaxie 500 Convertible built in Chicago Illinois, will have a 400 horse 390, trick C6, Crites Aluminum radiator and a rust free frame from the south. Work continues.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index