Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

handy shop tip

August 11 2017 at 2:29 PM
Tom P  (Login tomposthuma)
Members

I was faced with the dilemma of fender bolts that look like something divers recovered from the Titanic and not wanting the yard to look like Daytona Beach. I also lack a blast cabinet or tumbler.
So I found a handy way to sandblast bolts without making a mess. I have a SpotBlaster with recovery bag... everyone should have one.
I put the bolt inside the rubber tip with the threads facing out and small loose nuts or screws can go in there too. The washer of the bolt keeps sand from coming out and you can turn the bolt with the threads to blast it evenly. It takes only a couple seconds per bolt and if anything lands in the recovery bag it can be dumped out, I used a coffee can.
After reusing the sand a bunch of times it turns into a fine talc and one cup of sand did all the front sheetmetal fasteners.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Button
(Login cliffrod)
Members

Speed Blaster, Spot Blaster & cheap HF equivalents

August 11 2017, 3:13 PM 

I use my speedi blaster a lot and the spot blaster accessory regularly. Lots easier to use for various blasting media than changing out a bead blast cabinet or my pressure pot. I haven't bought any of the harbor freight versions, but at one point they had a metal body vs the plastic body of the real Speed Blaster.

Any of these is pretty simple to manage your mess, but the spot blaster is really simple. Great for spark plugs, too. You can buy the specific spark plug accessory or just make your own. It isn't hard or complicated.
1967 Galaxie 500 Red original Q code 428
1967 Galaxie 500 White with Black stripes 428PI clone- car is dead & long gone, sold near Oak Ridge TN 2000, would love to find it.....
Please visit http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/ for pictures, information and video links to my work.

Respond to this message   
Tom P
(Login tomposthuma)
Members

Speed Blaster

August 11 2017, 3:33 PM 

Mine is the orange plastic bodied SpeedBlaster. I've used it a bunch for 20 years and it has been trouble free.

The recovery bag means I can use it inside a car with a complete interior.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(Login 391locker)
Members

Re: handy shop tip

August 12 2017, 6:01 AM 

So those hopper type blasters work well even when tilted? That's cool.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index