Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Repaired 427 Side Olier Block For Sale ?

August 11 2017 at 2:36 PM
Kevin  (Login 427HISS)
Members

I won't buy this engine block on ebay, but I'm curious about the welded rapair on this side oiler.
From what you can tell in the photo (I beleive #10) has it been done correctly and will it be fine as a good block ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1965-1966-Ford-FE-427-Side-Oiler-Engine-Block-Cobra-Mustang-Fairlane-Thunderbird-/112426438742?hash=item1a2d235056:g:U94AAOSw~y9ZMcGE&vxp=mtr

This message has been edited by 427HISS on Aug 11, 2017 2:52 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Kbmax
(Login kbmax)
Members

Re: Repaired 427 Side Olier Block For Sale ?

August 11 2017, 4:42 PM 

Looks like a decent repair as far as iron block repairs go. Would like to see it from inside to see how close it came to the main but i have surely seen alot worse.
JMO.

Respond to this message   
Jack Tindle
(Login JacksFordParts)
Members

I don't understand why he used non crossbolted main caps.

August 11 2017, 5:57 PM 

Doesn't make sense to me.

Respond to this message   

Kbmax
(Login kbmax)
Members

Re: I don't understand why he used non crossbolted main caps.

August 11 2017, 6:30 PM 

Probably maybe sold them off before fixing the block cause thought it was junk.

Respond to this message   

Anonymous
(Login StarlinerRon)
Members

2 bolt mains

August 12 2017, 9:29 PM 

Read the ad!

Respond to this message   
Steve
(Login Cougar4xr7)
Members

August 11 2017, 7:22 PM 

$3800 for a repaired .030 over 50 y/o block with 2 bolt mains. Unless the date code is what you need have be nuts to buy that thing. For that money can buy a bbm block. I think a lot of these factory 427 blocks are way overpriced especially considering they come with a lot of risk of unseen problems.

Respond to this message   

Mario428
(Login Mario428)
Members

Not a side-oiler is it?

August 12 2017, 2:58 AM 

One pic shows the oil filter pad but there is no oil galley's showing in the front of the block.
Lot of money for a block without the cachet of being an actual side-oiler, lke someone else said lot of money for an old block period.

Respond to this message   
Cory
(Login 427Fastback)
Members

I agree...

August 12 2017, 9:49 AM 

Looks like a marine/ind block to me..I don't see the oil galley plug on the lower left front corner. some very strategic pic taking..

Respond to this message   
Jim
(Login fostereast)
Members

Block?

August 12 2017, 11:29 AM 

I don't think the pictures shown are providing enough information to comment, with confidence, on the welding. Lots of other red flags in the listing though.

This message has been edited by fostereast on Aug 12, 2017 11:30 AM

Respond to this message   

Kbmax
(Login kbmax)
Members

August 13 2017, 6:34 AM 

I agree that pricing on all these old 50 year blocks is well over blown. Especially center oilers, service blocks and marine blocks. I can see maybe, maybe paying 2 grand for a side oiler block that still needs another grand of machine work to make it ready for a build if and only if your trying to do the numbers correct thing for some kinda restoration. I just cant see tossing $2,500.oo on a center oiler, marine, or service block. If your in that deep its well worth it to add another grand and get a BBM. Just my opinion..

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index