Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Stage X Edelbrock heads

August 12 2017 at 6:21 PM
gary jagoe  (Login c6rod)
Members

I have a 462 FE built by Survival for a different individual a few years ago that is performing beautifully for me but I need some info. Barry described the cylinder heads as "stage X Edelbrock heads". They have the RPM Performer 6009 cast number on them. Has anyone ever heard of stage X heads? Is this what Barry called them after his modifying them? I am interested as I want to know the valve sizes in them without disassembly. Thanks for any help.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

DaleP
(Login Posi-67)
Members

"Stage" heads are modified from stock and

August 12 2017, 8:06 PM 

the specs and terminology will vary depending who did them. There are Stage X, Stage I or II or in my case I have Stage XR7. All from different cyl head guys. Barry will give you the correct answer or maybe just go to his website where the info is likely posted.

Respond to this message   

Barry_R
(Login Barry_R)
Members

Those heads

August 13 2017, 3:32 AM 

are normally Edelbrock 60059 castings. We swap out for an 11/32 guide. Install larger valves - most often a 2.200 intake and a 1.680 exhaust. A multi-angle valve job and some bowl and port entry blend work. Assembled with double springs appropriate to the desired cam.

Nothing super fancy or expensive, but a nice upgrade over the basic Edelbrock parts. The Stage X monicker was just 'cuz I got tired of all the various Stage 1, 2, 3, 12, 27 and 2278 numbers.
Barry Rabotnick
Survivalmotorsports.com

Respond to this message   

Alan Casida
(Login AlanCasida)
Members

Nice X-planation, Barry!

August 13 2017, 6:26 AM 

happy.gif

Respond to this message   
arnold
(Login awmach)
Members

Ditto LoL n/m

August 13 2017, 1:40 PM 

Respond to this message   
Gary
(Login c6rod)
Members

Stage X

August 13 2017, 8:23 AM 

Thanks Barry for the explanation. I was hoping you would respond to the inquiry. Now I know that I do not need to do anything more to the heads to add to the HP for street use.

Respond to this message   
Jeff
(Login cjetmech)
Members

How much HP?

August 13 2017, 6:32 PM 

Barry how much HP will those heads support? At what point would someone want to go with the CNC port job and would that be a big increase in price above the Stage X head?

Respond to this message   

Barry_R
(Login Barry_R)
Members

Obviously a lot of variables

August 14 2017, 3:58 AM 

We run these on engines of around 500HP pretty often. I think I have had some approach 550HP but thats probably about it on a pump gas street type deal. Then you need to get more involved in porting.

One of the reasons I developed our own casting was a desire to get beyond that on a simple build. The Survival head will be a little better than these on a 445 - maybe 20-30HP, but will carry up past 600 on a 482 without going to a full porting regimen.

A CNC porting program will get either head far higher in potential. CNC work from my guy runs around $1500, and I know that other folks selling heads have a lot of Edelbrock based programs as well. These days a lot of my Edelbrock based work is an effort to save the customer some money since a lot of folks already own the castings.
Barry Rabotnick
Survivalmotorsports.com

Respond to this message   
Jeff
(Login cjetmech)
Members

Thanks Barry

August 14 2017, 5:13 AM 

That's exactly the spot I'm in. I've had these 6005 heads since 2000 and was wondering if I should step up to one of the newer heads like yours or put the $ into these. I'm looking to build a 428 stroker approaching 600hp. I'm thinking it would be worth the extra expense to go with the new heads actually and sell these. Thanks.

Respond to this message   
Gary
(Login c6rod)
Members

Edelbrock heads

August 14 2017, 12:00 PM 

The engine I have dynoed by you at 534HP, 550FT/LBS on the first pull at 5900 RPM. You even recorded the pull on YOUTUBE. So I'm estimating that since it has been broken in now and the FAST self learning programmer has had a chance to tune itself, I have at least the 534 and most likely more. For a 462 I figure that's good for a street driven, every day street rod. I'll leave the heads alone. Thanks for the info.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index