Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Z code

October 1 2017 at 6:33 AM
Rob  (Login cool67)
Members

Located a Z code'63 Galaxie I may purchase. No drivetrain but it was a Z code.What was it?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Travis
(Login country63sedan)
Members

300hp 390

October 1 2017, 7:01 AM 

Z code means it WAS a four barrel 390 rated at 300hp. Later, Travis

Respond to this message   
Rob
(Login cool67)
Members

Z code

October 1 2017, 7:13 AM 

Were many made or are they on the rare and or more desirable powerplant?

Respond to this message   
Travis
(Login country63sedan)
Members

Re: Z code

October 1 2017, 7:28 AM 

I don't know the numbers, but doubt it was very rare. One of my wagons was a z code automatic, the other was a small block 3 speed. The z code wasn't a "hot rod", it was a strong, reliable powerplant. Later, Travis

Respond to this message   
kleandan
(Login kleandan)
Members

Rob, search the net.

October 1 2017, 7:34 AM 

Rob, first and foremost, you are always welcome to come here and ask questions so do not think I am sending you away.
Also, here you will find really good people with really good info...so again, you are welcome here.

However, the two questions you have asked can be answered with a tiny bit of web searching.
The VAST amount of info you can find with some of these web sites will answer 100's of questions on one page.

As always when using the web, get a few answers that agree with each other before taking them as truth.

Try entering general questions in your browser and see what you come up with.
For instance
1963 Galaxie engine code list.
1963 Galaxie VIN decoder.
1963 Galaxie engine option list.

These three questions alone will get you so much information that you may need to be careful with what you learn.
Soon you will be answering question here on the forum.
Soon you will be checking VIN numbers of cars you are looking at and you will know...Nope, this was 352 car when delivered new and not a 390 car like the badges say.

Go do some searchin'. This is one of the really great things about the web.

Have a great day.

Respond to this message   

Mike
(Login urchinhead)
Members

Galaxie Purchase

October 1 2017, 8:42 AM 

That can be a great buy, but you will have a difficult time finding the small parts and pieces if you have any interest in bringing the car back to factory original or anywhere close.

The Z code is the 300 horsepower "Thunderbird," 390 with the Castillian Gold "Thunderbird" Valve covers. If you source an engine from an actual Thunderbird, your intake will be flat, rather than angled like its Galaxie counterpart. Do try and buy a complete engine and transmission if you can find one, with all pulleys, brackets, air cleaner, etc.

There is a fairly informative new book out on restoring "Full Size Fords," and there is a lot of information out there on the web, but not all is correct, and with Photobucket being dismantled, most pictures are no longer available. There are lots of good people involved in the Galaxie/FE world, but do your research.

Good luck with the car!

Respond to this message   
eric
(Login wwyin62)
Members

t-bird and

October 1 2017, 11:38 AM 

Galaxie 4 bbl intakes are the same. The carb spacer on the t-bird is angled, the gal is straight. The 3 deuce intake however, is flat on the bird and is stepped on the Gal.

Respond to this message   
Leland
(Login lhstanford)
Members

My sons 63 1/2' Galaxie 500 XL fastback is a Z code

October 1 2017, 2:11 PM 

It originally had the 300 hp/ 390 cid / 4 bbl.engine w/ auto. trans./pwr. strng./ pwr. brakes/ AC. 14" wheels . Parts for the car have not been too hard to come by. We've been using alot of Ecklers parts for restoration.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index