Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Thinking about a 390 the long way ....

October 1 2017 at 7:22 AM
Travis  (Login country63sedan)
Members

I was looking at the junk pile the other day and started thinking about combinations. What about the 3.98 crank in the 330 ft block. The block is at 3.915 now and would clean up at 3.95 or so. The drill bit test is a tight .220, so it's plenty thick. I don't want to hog this thing out, I want to build something RELIABLE, DURABLE AND EFFICIENT. A 318 piston would fit the bill with a shave on top and honing the rod small ends. Anybody know if it would clear the crank weights? This would be about as close to square as possible. The bore would limit valve size, but I should be able to get stock valves in touched up heads to flow good enough. This would be a freeway flier, so low rpm output and efficiency would be the focus. Ideas or suggestions? Am I silly? Later, Travis

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Shotgun 429
(Login shotgun429)
Members

Re: Thinking about a 390 the long way ....

October 1 2017, 3:45 PM 

("I want to build something RELIABLE, DURABLE AND EFFICIENT") Find a 332-or a 352. They would be a great choice for what you are wanting to do...With todays motor oils i doubt you could wear it out.

Respond to this message   
Brent Lykins
(Login blykins)
Members

Or a 390....

October 1 2017, 4:03 PM 

No need in trying to engineer a bunch of part collaboration. A 390 will do everything without an issue....or a 390 with a 428 crank will do it with more power and torque.

Respond to this message   
Chris McAlpine
(Login chris401)
Members

I Thought About That Once

October 2 2017, 6:25 AM 

But never bought the piston and ended up overhauling a 352.

Respond to this message   
Chris McAlpine
(Login chris401)
Members

I Thought About That Once

October 2 2017, 6:25 AM 

But never bought the piston and ended up overhauling a 352.

Respond to this message   
Travis
(Login country63sedan)
Members

Challenge accepted :)

October 2 2017, 4:18 PM 

I could build a 332, 352, 360, 390, 410 or MAYBE a 428 with what I've got. The problem is that I've got this square engine idea in my head and can't shake it. I also bought some shiny new 390 fender badges years ago happy.gif My real concern is if the pistons would clear the counterweights. Might have to buy one and see. Later, Travis

Respond to this message   

javier
(Login Ranchopower)
Members

plans

October 2 2017, 5:06 PM 

sometimes it all works out awesome until something stops you cold in your tracks shoot for a bigger bore it's ok

Respond to this message   
Bill Ballinger
(Login 65billgal)
Members

A 4.07 bore and a 4" aftermarket crank and H beams with thin rings

October 3 2017, 5:33 AM 

trust me you will love it for a million miles.

Respond to this message   
Tom P
(Login tomposthuma)
Members

I doubt you can give away a 330 block nowadays ...

October 5 2017, 6:07 PM 

Might as well use it. I'd go find a used 318 piston before buying a set. You could also use the 390 crank with longer 351M rods to give more space.

Respond to this message   
Travis
(Login country63sedan)
Members

Been looking for a used piston

October 6 2017, 3:13 PM 

but haven't had one fall into my lap yet. Later, Travis

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index