Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

OT, but is there any better carb cleaner soak than the Berryman 5 gallon?

October 1 2017 at 5:42 PM

Mike U.  (Login mtrain)
Members

I've got two of these home from the shop, but they're not cleaning the carbs as much as I think they should.

However, there is no telling how many years dad used these two 5 gallon buckets.

Since a 5 gallon bucket isn't that cheap [relatively speaking] I was wondering if there is better product to soak a carb for a rebuild, for the money [I think a 5 gallon bucket of the Berryman is around $120].

OR, would soaking the carbs in a bucket of plain old 87 octane gasoline be just as good?

Thanks.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Drew Pojedinec
(Login DeepRoots78)
Members

Re: OT, but is there any better carb cleaner soak than the Berryman 5 gallon?

October 1 2017, 8:14 PM 

Mike,
I use spray cleaner as needed for small cleaning, but honestly man.... it's 2017, carb cleaner sucks and ultrasonic cleaner prices are low. For a lil more money than a 5gal bucket of carb dip you can get one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/VEVOR-Commercial-Ultrasonic-Cleaning-Eyeglasses/dp/B01KBQO5QC/ref=sr_1_49?ie=UTF8&qid=1504105201&sr=8-49&keywords=ultrasonic+cleaner

A nice side benefit is it isn't exclusive to carburetors, you'll start cleaning anything that fits in the darn thing.

Respond to this message   

DanW
(Login 66Bird)
Members

What kind of solvent in ultra sonic

October 2 2017, 7:08 AM 

So what king of solvent are people using in their ultra sonic cleaners? Do you use a MEK product, or alcohol, or gasoline? The ultrasonic units work good for lots of things, but you still need the correct solvent.

Respond to this message   

Button
(Login cliffrod)
Members

Options

October 2 2017, 8:16 AM 

I would not use anything flammable.

Real ultrasonic stuff- Branson MC-3http://www.cleanosonic.com/mc3-metal-cleaner/ it recommends a 7%-10% solution strength, so a little goes a long ways. It's fairly obvious when you exhaust the chemical because parts don't clean as well or as fast. MC-3 is designed for ferrous, non ferrous and stainless. For nice or finish work, this is what I have and like.

Simple Green works ok. Just don't use it or anything else full strength and think miracles will happen because there's more chemicals in it. It's safer than some other cleaners. Any caustic cleaner like Purple Power that makes aluminum & pot metal castings white will ruin parts, especially if you leave them in there for a long time.

I've done a lot with plain distilled vinegar diluted with water, especially for ferrous items that are more durable than alloy parts. Using diluted Simple Green or vinegar is a good way to eliminate lots of crud before you run it with the more expensive proper chemicals. I've cleaned several large professional kitchen burnt-on & baked-on gas range tops & all related parts plus grills & other professional kitchen equipment with distilled vinegar & water in my larger unit- dirt cheap and very effective. Very cool to have a perfect rings of identical blue flames without hours of lethal oven cleaner soaking and scrubbing.

The cleaning action is done by cavitation- imploding microscopic bubbles of gas within the solution which "scrub" the parts. Whatever chemicals you add only help with emulsifying these released oils so they don't stick back to the cleaned parts. Water alone works pretty well as far as the cleaning but not as well for the emulsifying. Keeping parts suspended off & away the floor and sides of the unit works best. If your parts are too big for the tank and cannot be suspended without touching, it won't clean as well and supposedly can damage the unit. I do larger parts 1/2 in and 1/2 out of the tank, then reverse them to finish cleaning.
1967 Galaxie 500 Red original Q code 428
1967 Galaxie 500 White with Black stripes 428PI clone- car is dead & long gone, sold near Oak Ridge TN 2000, would love to find it.....
Please visit http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/ for pictures, information and video links to my work.

Respond to this message   

Button
(Login cliffrod)
Members

Big ultrasonic & Sure Shot fan here

October 2 2017, 4:14 AM 

Watch c/l for a good price on one large enough for a carb. The last time this question was posted, I decided to look locally just because and found another great unit with a gallon of new ultrasonic concentrate (an extra $50-$60 item) for $45. Can't beat that. Ultrasonic is the way to go. Better units have timers, heat and de-gas functions.

I haven't bought any carb spray in years. Go to oreilly's or NAPA similar and buy a 5 gallon can of parts cleaning solvent (like lacquer thinner which is now lots more $$- not parts cleaner solution/concentrate) and use it in a Sure Shot refillable sprayer (around $35). Then when you have a different need, you can easily use kerosene or WD40 or anything you like in the Sure Shot. Having a couple of them in the shop, they get used all the time.
1967 Galaxie 500 Red original Q code 428
1967 Galaxie 500 White with Black stripes 428PI clone- car is dead & long gone, sold near Oak Ridge TN 2000, would love to find it.....
Please visit http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/ for pictures, information and video links to my work.

Respond to this message   
Cyclone Joe
(Login CycloneJoe)
Members

Toluel

October 2 2017, 10:17 AM 

Toluel or Toluene is my preferred solvent, Xylene is a close second. Add 25% IPA to slow down its evaporation. Soak it, leave it outside if you can for a day as its extremely flammable (vapors too) then wipe and plastic brush away. Wear heavy rubber solvent gloves that go up to your elbows, and a good pair of safety glasses, and plenty of ventilation.

You can get Toluel at most commercial paint stores in California, so it should be more available anywhere else.

Joe
1967 Mercury Cyclone GT Convertible, 390 FE

Respond to this message   
Tom P
(Login tomposthuma)
Members

Re: Toluel

October 2 2017, 1:58 PM 

Joe, if this could have been posted 20 years ago it might have saved me a lot of grief. I used to work at place that used Toluene by the drum frequently. Washing the greased metal tubing with it, no gloves, it was used as paint reducer too, in a shop where the spraying was just done in the corner, no real booth.
I would usually get really sick and have to leave early once a week but pretty much every day i'd get nausea.
I knew it was nasty stuff but not how nasty until years later when the effects sunk in.

That and welding galvanized forced me to quit a job I really enjoyed otherwise.

Respond to this message   
Cyclone Joe
(Login CycloneJoe)
Members

Unfortunate

October 2 2017, 4:23 PM 

That's horrible. If they would have only let you read the MSDS. Solvents are great, with the right PPE. All those solvents pull chemicals into you, even gasoline.

Joe
1967 Mercury Cyclone GT Convertible, 390 FE

This message has been edited by CycloneJoe on Oct 2, 2017 4:24 PM

Respond to this message   

Falcon67
(Login Falcon67)
Members

Berryman's dip is now junk

October 2 2017, 1:32 PM 

I've used it in the old days when it would try to take your skin off, and the latest stuff that doesn't do squat. Mix B12 liquid with Gunk 50/50 to get carbon off pistons an such, carb cleaning, etc.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index