Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Removing C-6 & converter question

October 2 2017 at 7:01 AM
Tony Fritz  (Login MrT427)
Members

Taking out a C-6 from my 64 Fairlane T-bolt clone and have a question. After removing the nuts on the 4 studs for the converter to flexplate should the converter "push" back away from the flexplate? I get no movement. Will it back off when the trans bolts are loosened and the trans comes away from the block? Thanks.

Also, does anyone know the difference in Crites headers for the 64 Fairlane BB for automatic vs 4 speed?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

john vermeersch
(Select Login johnvermeersch501)
Members

The convertor should "release" from the

October 2 2017, 7:48 AM 

flywheel, but not back out....studs will still be "in the hole" If no movement you may have improper install which will waste the trans quickly (pushes against the front pump" Also can happen if somebody left a pilot bushing in the crank

Respond to this message   

Bobby Spears
(Login x4rdtech)
Members

Re: The convertor should "release" from the

October 2 2017, 10:14 AM 

If the pilot bushing is left in the bolts will not reach the flex plate I think. It may just be stuck and turning it a little at a time and trying to pry it back each time you move it.

Respond to this message   

Falcon67
(Login Falcon67)
Members

Needs to be free

October 2 2017, 1:28 PM 

The snout can hang in the tail of the crankshaft due to rust or debris. You should be able to back the converter off about 1/8". Otherwise, it'll stay with the engine when you separate the trans. That will create a huge spill, at least. If you can't get it free, then make/use some guide pins to be sure the trans slides straight back from the engine to prevent pump damage, and place a big wide pan or a LOT of absorbent material on the floor to catch a couple quarts of trans fluid.

Respond to this message   
John
(Login johncougaruk)
Members

T/C

October 4 2017, 6:11 AM 

Just did exactly the same with mine. I expected it to push back I was still left with 1/8 of the stud still protruding through the F/P. When the gearbox was released it went back with the gearbox. Once the nuts on the T/C are undone the should move within the F/P hole slightly a couple of degrees as long as the snout isn't stuck in the crankshaft.

Regards

John

Respond to this message   
Tony Fritz
(Login MrT427)
Members

Thanks to all that replied. came out with the trans with no issues N/M

October 5 2017, 6:54 AM 

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index