Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

FE powered 9" rebuild

October 2 2017 at 8:18 AM

DanW  (Login 66Bird)
Members

I'm looking for someone who is good at rebuilding a Ford 9" rear end with Detroit Locker. I am in the Minneapolis area and would prefer to deliver the pumpkin to a rebuilder if I can find one who knows what they are doing. Anyone have some recommendations? I don't have the ambition to do it myself, as I failed doing one a couple of decades ago.
This is out of my 66Tbird with a 445 FE. Rear end was purchased about 15 years ago off of Ebay from some one in PA who was supposedly well experienced and well known. The car is heavy and sees a lot of burnouts with a C6, Micky Thompson Street ET's, 3.5:1 rear ratio and 31 spline Strange axles. The rear end is starting to growl on acceleration after the rear end heats up a bit with a couple of burnouts. As it heats up more, the growl starts to happen at lower speeds, but will stop on deceleration. I'm pretty sure that it is the rear gears. I haven't pulled it apart yet to check anything, but there is also the possibility of axle bearings, as this car does have a narrowed rear end. It sure sounds and feels like the rear pumpkin is damaged.
Can anyone make a recommendation for me?
Thanks in advance. DanW
Here is a video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkg-y2lAQ5o&t=11s

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Kevin Rolph
(Login thatdarncat)
Members

World Auto Repair

October 2 2017, 10:05 AM 

Ask for Bradford at World Auto Repair in Eden Prairie, Mn. 14590 Martin Dr. 952-949-2277. He does all Jay Brown's 9" set-ups and Jay uses Detroit Lockers on all his Drag Week cars. Bradford also does all my 9" work, as well as others. He gets my recommendation,

Respond to this message   

F570RD
(Login F570rd)
Members

I'll second that.....

October 4 2017, 7:57 AM 

Very proficient!!!!!

Respond to this message   

F570RD
(Login F570rd)
Members

I'll second that.....

October 4 2017, 7:57 AM 

Very proficient!!!!!

Respond to this message   

Anonymous
(Login Ranchopower)
Members

Re: FE powered 9" rebuild

October 2 2017, 4:58 PM 

remove the leaf springs and install solid front eye bushings otherwise while making a pass that old t-bird will barrel down the road and look even faster than you really are going. eye would build the unit but eye am too far most likely, my dad used to restore these cars still have parts grew up with t-birds in mylife, nice to see your video!

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index