Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

long style pressure plates

October 2 2017 at 7:11 PM
Jerry  (Login Boats2)
Members

Back in the day , and remember I'm 72, all Fords used the long style pressure plates,well a friend had an R code Fairlane and with massive stupid he killed the clutch. The local speed shop talked him in to a diaphram plate. So at about 6800rpm I grabbed second and that dam** thing went to the floor and stayed there scareing us both, when rpm dropped to about 5000 it poped back up. I've never had one again but now it seems no one is carrying long pressure plates. Are theis new diaphram plates better now are are we stuck using them like it or not!!

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Anonymous
(Login gbeltran)
Members

Re: long style pressure plates

October 2 2017, 7:58 PM 

The long plates are getting harder to find, you can probably still have the old one rebuilt. Is the current clutch a center Force? A lot of times it's the adjustment, they go over center and give the problem you describe. I know for the McLeod diaphragm I think the instruction sheet said something like 1/4 inch between the pp and the throw out bearing with the pedal up. I'd check that, loosen it up and try again.

Respond to this message   
Tom P
(Login tomposthuma)
Members

October 2 2017, 9:12 PM 

Diaphragm is another bad GM idea that has been foisted off to all makes by the aftermarket. It is cheaper, not better.

Respond to this message   
Rory McNeil
(Login RMCJ428)
Members

October 2 2017, 9:19 PM 

McLeod still offers Long style clutch assemblies. I bought a new 11" McLeod Long style clutch kit not long ago.

Respond to this message   

Mike U.
(Login mtrain)
Members

I agree with you on that one Tom. My damned new Centerforce diaphram won't hold for $hit..

October 3 2017, 3:49 PM 

And, this is BEFORE the boost comes on. My little 363w truck has a very mild cam, and AFR 185 heads, weighs about 2800lbs, but that stupid Centerforce junk won't hold it.

Respond to this message   
Brent Lykins
(Login blykins)
Members

RAM and McLeod still make Long pressure plates....

October 3 2017, 3:15 AM 

The diaphragms will work if set up correctly, but I prefer a Long style for a Ford vehicle with mechanical linkage still intact.

Respond to this message   

Bobby Spears
(Login x4rdtech)
Members

Re: RAM and McLeod still make Long pressure plates....

October 3 2017, 10:35 AM 

Well that is what I have,McLeod,and some day I may actually take it or a drive to see how much I have missed by not driving a stick shift. I will someday drive it to a local muffler shop to have the exhaust put on. That is if someone buys it before that. Getting a little tired of walking by it everyday.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index