Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

O/T a little Car Show

October 3 2017 at 7:43 PM
Bones  (Login boneyard51)
Members

We had our first car show last week end in the parking lot of our club and thought we had figured every thing out. Ha! Can fix most things next year, all but one. Our parking lot had some grass, some pavement and some dirt/ gravel mix. A ground pounder with open headers backed through the dirt and dusted everybody.. Became a instant unpopular guy. Can't afford to pave the lot. Does any one here know of a "legal" way keeping the dust down with out making a mud hole? Thanks Bones

This message has been edited by boneyard51 on Oct 3, 2017 7:45 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Button
(Login cliffrod)
Members

Consider limited watering

October 4 2017, 6:31 AM 

Done in days prior to the event. Not sure what you have there- real brown dirt, red clay, western desert, ??- but keeping things watered on a regular basis will help. Then you can stop a day or two before the event to let most if not all of it dry out on top.

The watering should help keep whatever small amount of grass you have and help it spread. Encouraging that would be good. The root structure and longer grass tops will help keep dust down, especially if watered.

My studio has a clay floor and the dust is most effectively managed by watering to keep it from becoming airborne. If I water at the end of the day, it's nice and dry the next day as long as I don't over-water. When it's really hot, I watering the morning (and again as needed) to help cool things down some. The more often I water the floor, the better.
1967 Galaxie 500 Red original Q code 428
1967 Galaxie 500 White with Black stripes 428PI clone- car is dead & long gone, sold near Oak Ridge TN 2000, would love to find it.....
Please visit http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/ for pictures, information and video links to my work.

This message has been edited by cliffrod on Oct 4, 2017 6:31 AM

Respond to this message   
Gerry
(Login gerryproctor)
Members

Yes.

October 4 2017, 6:42 AM 

Put some Quikrete down on the dirt and mix it up with the dirt. A rake is usually good enough. You want to lightly water the area to bind the top concrete/dirt layer. You aren't trying to pave the dirt lot but just have enough concrete in the dirt mix to keep the dirt bound up. Unless the lot sees a lot of regular traffic this will work for a fairly long time.

Respond to this message   

Templin
(Login templin)
Members

Re: O/T a little Car Show

October 4 2017, 7:45 AM 

I work for a small City in Minnesota and we put down Magnesium chloride on are dirt roads, and parking lots. We something use vegetable oil.

Respond to this message   
Bones
(Login boneyard51)
Members

Mag/chloride

October 4 2017, 11:21 AM 

We have thought of vegetable oil, but have limited access to used, can't afford new. Is it EPA acceptable? How much does Magnesium Choride cost and where would we get it? Is it EPA approved? Thanks, Bones

Respond to this message   

Templin
(Login templin)
Members

Re: Mag/chloride

October 4 2017, 6:21 PM 

In Minnesota it's ok to use, we use it year round. Dust control summer,and we mix it with salt in the winter. I don't no what the city pays for the Mag/cloride, but Northern tool has it for $179.99 for 55 gallon drum. We cut it with water in the summer so we can spray it on the roads.

Respond to this message   

Anonymous
(Login westcoastgalaxie)
Members

Mag chloride!! Oh hell no!

October 4 2017, 6:59 PM 

Here In Colorado they use that in the winter in lieu of salt. While it is less corrosive than salt (not many rusty vehicles around here) it is still corrosive and sticks to your car like nothing else out there. A regular wash doesn’t cut it, needs a hand scrub. I never take my hotrod out until after the first good rain to wash that shit off the roads. After it drys up it creates a dust that does the same once water hits it. Now that’s when it dries, as it takes forever to dry if sprayed on too heavy, we are talking weeks. If the conditions are right that’s months.

Again while I like it better than salt I would never go to a show that used it as dust control.

Respond to this message   
Tom P
(Login tomposthuma)
Members

Re: Mag chloride!! Oh hell no!

October 4 2017, 9:35 PM 

Chrome eater!! That stuff will ruin chromed plastic (like wheel center caps) and polished aluminum in one outing.

Respond to this message   

Mike U.
(Login mtrain)
Members

Let me guess, chebby guy? I went to a show this past weekend........

October 4 2017, 3:04 PM 

There were about 50 cars there so it wasn't a big show, but of course all three of the cars that had to be started to rev their engines were.............................yep, chebby guys.

Had a guy ask me about my Mustang, then went on to tell me his Fox Mustang was the one at the other end with...........................yep, an ls engine.

I told him to spare me I wasn't a fan of chebby engines in Ford bodies. He went on to educate me on how much CHEAPER it was to put an ls engine in the Fox, and how it would make waaaay more power.

I told him that I had heard that $hit since I was a kid in the 70's, and that today, I know better.

Anyway, he mumbled something, and walked away.........lol, chebby guys. Of course he did the obligatory burn out leaving the show.

Sorry for the rant, but that was the fist shows in years, where we had driven one of our cars. Looks like things haven't changed.

This message has been edited by mtrain on Oct 4, 2017 3:05 PM

Respond to this message   

Falcon67
(Login Falcon67)
Members

Oil

October 5 2017, 6:41 AM 

Oil, cast off crude is sometimes used on roads around here to keep down dust.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index