Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Studs vs Bolts question

October 4 2017 at 8:31 AM
Byron W  (Login bwrinkle)
Members

Building a .060 over 390, Comp Hydro roller, Scat rods, balanced with edel heads.
Am using ARP bolts throughout, including main bolts. Would ARP main studs be better?
If so why? When installing studs do you leave a thread or two at the bottom or do you bottom the studs?
Thanks, Byron W.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Brent Lykins
(Login blykins)
Members

Bolts are fine at that power level.

October 4 2017, 9:02 AM 

If you switched, you'd also have to have the block's main alignment checked again, as the studs pull on the block differently.

Respond to this message   
Byron W
(Login bwrinkle)
Members

Studs vs Bolts question

October 4 2017, 10:30 AM 

Brent, I thought so but when would one go to studs and what is the
proper procedure for installation?

Respond to this message   
Brent Lykins
(Login blykins)
Members

I usually switch to studs....

October 4 2017, 10:35 AM 

....when I'm gonna be in the 550-600 hp mark or going to be over 6000 rpms. Studs require a little extra work around the rear main cap as well. An oil pan won't bolt on over studs in the rear cap, so when I run studs on a factory block, I'll usually put bolts in the rear cap. Even on some of the aftermarket blocks, the pan needs to be dimpled around the rear flange to help it sit down all the way.

On stud installation, it will depend on the stud, but most need to be screwed in, then backed out a hair. On some of your higher priced studs, they will have bullet noses on the ends so you can screw them all the way in.

Respond to this message   
Byron W
(Login bwrinkle)
Members

Thanks Brent, that answered my question! NM

October 4 2017, 10:38 AM 

Respond to this message   
Gregg
(Login 64XL)
Members

Related Question: ARP bolts vs. ford factory

October 4 2017, 10:44 AM 

Will I have to align hone the block if I replace the factory main cap bolts with the ARP bolts?

Respond to this message   
Brent Lykins
(Login blykins)
Members

I would at least check it.

October 4 2017, 10:51 AM 

The ARP's torque at 100 lb-ft, which is close to Ford factory bolt spec, but it won't hurt to stick a bore gauge in there and see if everything stays round and straight.

Respond to this message   
Gregg
(Login 64XL)
Members

Thanks, is there a source ford factory bolts...

October 4 2017, 11:32 AM 

The block I have came with caps, but no bolts.

Respond to this message   
Byron W
(Login bwrinkle)
Members

I am using ARP Bolts, NM

October 4 2017, 2:06 PM 

Respond to this message   
Jeff H.
(Login wsu0702)
Members

With mains studs your indicated...

October 4 2017, 7:26 PM 

torque value is more accurate than with bolts that is the main reason they are preferred for high performance builds. Also they do not stress/deform the block as much as bolts do so it always best to re-check the bores when switching from bolts to studs.

This message has been edited by wsu0702 on Oct 4, 2017 9:04 PM

Respond to this message   

Falcon67
(Login Falcon67)
Members

Studs are always better

October 5 2017, 6:39 AM 

They take the stress of torquing the fastener off the block threads. I use studs everywhere possible, I'll make them if I need to. Mains, heads, oil pump, pan, intake, some even in the water pump. Where gaskets are involved, studs will help guide the mating parts together in proper alignment to reduce the chance of moving the gasket or compromising the seal.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index